Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated! | FerrariChat

Torn bicep or ruptured bicep tendon - I am devastated!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by rdefabri, Sep 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    While training for the No-Gi Pan Jiu Jitsu Championships yesterday, I seriously injured my bicep and I am devastated.

I was rolling with my partner and I went for a half-guard sweep when we both heard something tear / pop in my arm. The pain was so bad I thought I broke my arm.

It's in bad pain, and I can't lower my arm flat or supinate (turn) my wrist. Looks like a small gap between my bicep and the top of my elbow joint, normally it comes all the way down.

One good thing is, there's not a lot of bruising, which is usually associated with this type of injury, and I am hoping it's a partial tear or a strain, but I am pretty sure something was torn.

Anyone ever experience this? Is my BJJ career over?

I am so bummed it's not even funny :(

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Why don't you get a real doctor to examine it?

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I left a message with the orthopedist - closed Saturday and Sunday, so I need to wait. Emergency room would have told me to ice it and take Advil - which I did.

For sure I am putting the cart before the horse, but I have all the classic symptoms of a tear - and they don't heal on their own. The only thing I don't really have is the bruising, which is actually giving me some hope.

Hoping the Dr. can fit me in tomorrow - we'll see how it goes. Sucks really :(

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Signs of a bicep tendon rupture can include the obvious weakness but also a "balling up" of the bicep muscle in the upper arm.

It is important to have this type of injury evaluated ASAP because if it is truly a bicep tendon rupture the musculature can contract over a short period of time and make it impossible to reattach the tendon.

Sorry to hear of your injury.

5. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    PT.

It's not balled up, but my bicep doesn't appear to extend to the elbow pit like before.

Could it be a partial tear or just the bicep? How soon is too late? I dont think the E-room is going to do much...

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Hard to say without seeing it and palpating the distal bicep insertion.

If it were me, and I was unsure of the diagnosis, I would want to be examined by tomorrow at the latest. If it isn't a tear no harm, no foul. If it is, it is best to catch it early.

An ER doc may call an ortho for a consult. They also may just send you home.

I am not trying to tell you one way or another other than take this seriously until told otherwise. Sorry for the vague answers it is just hard to tell over the internet. If I tell you to go the ER and it is not a rupture you may get pissed at me for scaring you and wasting your time. On the other hand if I tell you to wait and it is a rupture that ends up being complicated because of the delay you will be rightfully pissed at me. I hope you understand my position.

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #7 Zack, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    No background in medicine (except what you pick up from playing and teaching sports and being around medical professionals) but common sense tells me you do have a rupture of the tendon. As for the lack of bruising--I am guessing it is there, but deep enough within the tissue that you don't see it at the surface. Is the pain near the surface or deeper within?

Also, applying common sense, if you are well-muscled and are experienced enough to not make common beginner mistakes, it must have taken considerable force for the injury to occur. It's not a trivial injury. An experienced grappler like you would most likely not incur those. And the leverages applied in jiu jitsu make for immense forces--if applied in an unexpected manner, there is no hope of getting away with a minor tear or stretch. They are many, many times the amount needed to tear a tendon and it will go from elastic to plastic to broken in the blink of an eye, before you even have a chance to register pain and tap out.

In my higher level krav maga classes, when people get injured, they have to take months off to recover--I don't recall anyone with decent skills getting a minor injury. The trivial injuries all seem to happen at the lower levels.

Logical deduction tells me you do have a fairly significant injury. Besides, you and your partner both heard the pop. That's a classic tendon snap. I have heard that on the soccer field before--the guy hobbled around for a year and still doesn't play. Sorry for the bad news. I wish you a speedy, and full, recovery.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey - Sorry to learn of your mishap, particularly under the circumstances.

You're going to be worried. Don't. Just take it in stride. What wounds time can't heal, surgeons can.

This starts out looking hopeless - but, by the end of this read on link provided, which summarizes how surgical repair can indeed repair your wound, I think you'll agree you have more than hope.
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00376

What follows is not bragging. It is simply an example of triumph of will tempered by patience which I can share.

For an example of time - Not a tendon, but, a shoulder ligament was torn by my Brother in early-season wrestling practice. He sat out almost all of his Senior track season which followed, but, surely but slowly, rehabilitated. He had placed second and third respectively for discus and shotput in Valley, so, his recuperation was still going on. Four months after the injury, and as we rehashed last fall over a scotch or two - in his opinion, still not at full strength . . . he won CA State Championship in discus and shotput.

Despite injury and subsequent recovery, equally impressive to me is fact he only weighed 156 pounds, and it was his kinetic application of physics to biomechanics that proved greater than brute strength. As you may recall from e-mail/PM, his Daughter got his genetics and was State Athlete of the Year in her own sport.

Just take it in stride. That's what I'm doing before they make me bionic with all the bitsas needing mending of their own.

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks for the kind words all - I do understand there is no way to diagnose myself or over web. I know it's significant, I can see the damage with the partial "balling". My hope is more that it's not complete and/or maximum damage.

The psychological impact is far worse than the physical. I've resolved myself to months of recovery, but as Wax says, I can come out of it. My general feeling now is dejection - I need some good news. Once this is behind me, I'll certainly feel better about it.

I have an appointment today. Wish me luck, and thanks again for the well wishes.

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looks like a partial tear - he saw some movement in the muscle belly when supinating the wrist. An x-ray revealed no bone fractures. I have a MRI scheduled to confirm.

He seemed optomistic - so that has allayed my fears a little. Keeping fingers crossed - if a partial, he thought a few months of rest / rehab and I'd be good, but believe me, I will not rush it!

11. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I can make a mean omelette. :D

12. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Great early prognosis. Now get busy not being busy!

Not only does Zack make a mean omelet, a 33-inch cow with a taste for contemporary music has been named the world's smallest by the Guinness World Records book.
    http://www.happynews.com/

13. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I am glad to hear you had it appropriately evaluated and the current prognosis is promising.

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed! Just hoping that MRI confirms his suspicions...

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, the news isn't good - it's a complete distal biceps tendon rupture, and surgery is highly recommended. I will need at least 1 year (estimated) recovery / rehab - what a drag.

There's really no option otherwise - I could lose up to 50% of the flexion and supination strength in the arm, and at 42, that's not something I readily accept. Much as I do not want surgery, it has to be done.

Just crushed by it...yes, it could be worse, but this isn't the news I wanted :(

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have a close friend going thru this surgery next Friday; sorry to hear your injury.

17. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Take it in stride. Chin up.

I just took an hour nap. First sleep I had in 38 hours. Excruciating pain has a way of doing that. I'm hoping the 2-week trend of a max of 3 hours sleep per night ends abruptly and soon, but, just have to tough it out, stretch and ice and see Doc 3x week until sciatic and femoral nerves stop doing what they do worst.

In either your case or mine - it could be worse. There are reminders all around us by way of those with permanent, debilitating disabilities. The ones that stay positive are quite inspirational.

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Very true - both my brother and father are cancer survivors, I'd much rather be in my shoes. Surgery is outpatient - about 1 hr, and 100% full recovery (assuming no other complications.

What happened to you? Hope all is well and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Uro - thanks for the kind words and best of luck to your friend!

19. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I am sorry to hear this but expected it. That is why I stated in an earlier post "current prognosis". Nothing can be "certainty" until imaging is performed and even then it is not 100%.

If I were in your shoes I would, without a doubt, have the surgery. It will suck for a period of time but in a few years you can look back at it as a story to tell.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed - at my age and physical condition, I'd be a fool not to do it.

There are some fringe benefits - no household chores and no work commute :)

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Second opinion confirmed the full tear. Surgery is set for this coming Wednesday, and I am scared sh*tless...

I'll be getting 2-incision surgery, which should minimize the risk of permanent nerve damage, but can increase the risk of heterotrophic ossification.

I accept the risk. Dr. said I am probably about 50% of my normal strength, and since it's my dominant arm, I can't accept that.

Dudes, hope no one has to go through this. It's not life threatening, but definitely life altering. Having to make a snap decision is really the kick in the butt, thank goodness for the Internet.

Wish me luck- I am feeling a bit sorry for myself right now.

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Surgery done & dusted! Long recovery, but the first hurdle has been cleared...

23. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Damn, cowboy! Already posting and everything . . .

- you asked what happened to me - this chassis o' mine is 50 years old and hit a few hard bumps . . . hard.

24. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Right behind ya - I'll be 42 in 2 weeks!

By all accounts, I am doing well. Dr. will be seeing me in a week, then I get a full cast. Biggest issue is sleeping on my back and the soon to be expected constipation from the Percocet. Small price to pay to get your arm back though!

Hang in there - you'll be recovered in time. I have a long rehab road, but I'm game!

25. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Typically the balling would result from the tearing of the brachiallis (sp.?). Especially if the bicep heads didn't seem connected. Any post op review of exactly what happened?

_J