TORQUE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TORQUE

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bostonmini, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "

Just to be clear, this the part that is meaningless.

"torque=how much "work" an engine can do"

Hp determines how much work an engine can do. Torque on its own DOES NOT determine how much work an engine can do. Torque, along with rpm, is merely a component of hp, and thus on its own CANNOT be a derterminant of work potential.

If I give you ONLY the maximum torque of an engine, you CANNOT calculate the amount of work it can do. Even if I throw in the rpm at which max torque occurs, you CANNOT calcuate the amount of work the engine is capable of doing.

If you give me ONLY the maximun hp of an engine, I CAN calculate the amount of work it is capable of doing.

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Has anyone answered the origanal question for bostonmini?
    I *Think* the answer he is looking for is something like this....
    The Turbo engine makes more torque sooner in the rpm band, and since H.P is just a function of Torque, it makes it's peak H.P. sooner and therefor accelerates quicker.

And yes, The F40 *IS* a lot of fun to drive (nasty)
    Flame suit on, :)
    Rick

3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Work = F x D

where F = force applied and D= distance moved.

Work has nothing to do with the rate at which the process is occuring.

Moving a 3000 lb car a 1/4 mile distance in 10 years or 10 seconds is the same amount of work.

Power addresses the rate at which work is accomplished. It is basically the time rate change of work (i.e. dW/dT).