Torsion damper with pully | FerrariChat

Torsion damper with pully

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bartzagato, Feb 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi friends

My torsion damper with pully is making a metallic sound, which makes it clear it's on it's way to the pully-heaven.

The rubber inner part is completely torn and is locking metal to metal.

I hear it not all the time, but when I'm driving around 50 to 70 kph at constant speed. I hear it more with a cold engine, but it's also when hot.

There are a lot of differences in parts for the QV and I'm sure someone broke his brain allready over it.

What are the differences, are they interchangeable, can I rebuild a torsion damper or let it rebuild, can I change to another system: the 1 silly alternator WP - belt is just a joke.

Pullys for the Mondial:

#105160 8-QV single belt
    #121570 QV dual belts
    #122869 QV Sankyo airco compressor
    #126189 3.2

(of course it'll fit the according 308-328)

pricing goes from 210£ to 2000£

The one I have is the 105160 single belt; can I change my system to a dual belt? What do I need? Is it any better?

2. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #2 bartzagato, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #3 afterburner, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes indeed. Let me call it 2 belt and 3 belt setup for clarity, ok?

1) Pulley diameters: Alternators and water pumps need different speeds. With a single belt you need to find a compromise; with double belts you can choose the correct speeds for each. So those diameters changed with the change from 2 to 3 belts on both the drive and the slave pulleys. No change to the a/c drive on either drive pulley.

2) Belt groove sections: 60° Polyflex vs. regular 38° section.

No, for above reasons + belt lengths would change too with different pulley diameters.

I am sure you could but I don't know anyone that could vulcanise rubber back into those parts. You'd also have to dynamically balance it afterward.

Yes and yes. You need a lot of parts for the change to the double belt system, not all of which are available new and some hard to find in good condition used. I have the list - don't ask why. It's the second yes. The right belt cover seems to be same despite another part number.

2 Polyflex grooves: I have a good one of these for sale shortly in excellent condition. Shoot me an email if interested - this is your cheapest option, and by far... and quick too.

That is the one for 3 Polyflex belts - initial 3-belt version (regardless of compressor type)

This is the one for 2 Polyflex and 1 standard belt (alternator) - the second version of the 3-belt for 3-litre cars. It has nothing to do with the Sankyo compressor as its groove is still the Polyflex and both compressor types use the same drive pulley diameter.

This is for the 3.2 engine, so not suitable for the 3.0 engine as a harmonic damper. It has 3 grooves - 2 Polyflex and a standard V-belt for the alternator.

If your WP runs smoothly AND you haven't "upgraded" your alternator (no additional strain on the belt!) the single belt solution works, even here in HK's tropical heat/3° winter. However I have changed it every 10k out of precaution as some of the belts I took off had signs of failure like sideways kinks when unloaded.

Here some visual information on the topic.

PS: My car went in today for the conversion from 2 to 3 belts and Aspera to Sankyo compressor. Thread to follow when successfully accomplished...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I like your conversion Urs! You will have better access to the waterpump etc.

Bart, I think your quick and reasonable priced solution is to have Afterburner's pulley.

There is an aftermarket pulley for 900 USD
    ferrari 308 performance parts

However I have no idea how the aftermarket pulley would work out. In my opinion you would also need to change certain things on the flywheel side, But I am guessing as I have really no knowledge on this. If you make it lighter on the pulley side it would make sense to me that you need to make it also ligther on the flywheel side.

Some more discussion when you change to a lighter flywheel or pulley.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/348690-lightening-oem-crank-harmonic-balancer.html

5. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Urs,

Many many thanks for this elaborate and complete answer on this (difficult/unknown) subject.

On first base, I want to have car back in working order. I know, I can still drive it, but it annoyes me bigtime + it doesn't benefit the crankshaft.

In a later phase, perhaps when all the rest is allready done (is that possible?) I want to take on the adventure to a multiple belt conversion.

But for now I want a correct part to change the wonky one.
    All aftermarket possibilities, from which (well reputed) source they are, will not enlarge longlivity of my engine. And it's the sole reason it's mounted in the first place.

regards

Bart

6. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Great post afterburner!

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I was looking into rebuilding a pulley and it seems it can be done.

The question is to find someone here in Europe. I would be surpriced if there is no one. The question for me is if the pulley is open on the back so you can see the rubber. Do you happen to have any pics of your pulley and how it looks?

Just an example, here someone from New Sealand
    Harmonic Damper Rebuilds Ltd

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    ok.. my old lad is always into revising stuff for his old Panhard. His club actually lets this company produce new engine mounts etc.. Perhaps worth a call to see if they also revise pulleys or perhap have a reveral since they are in this business.

https://www.technirub.nl/

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hello Bart

The 3-belt conversion on my car is done and your pulley ready to ship.
    Please check your PM for details.

Cheers
    Urs

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dampers are rebuilt all the time. There are companies that specialize in it.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    In Europe that is slidely a different story :) Luckily there is (only) one shop in NL that can do this we just found out. If it didn't exist we would need to ship it to the US to let it rebuild. I'm stunned actually that I didn't find any shop in the UK as this is the ultimate "old timer" country on our side.

12. Mehl

Mehl Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi,

I just ran into the same problems. Whats the shop in the NL please?

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I believe Bart contacted them and confirmed that they can do this. They do this already for over decades.

Eras Motorrevisie Utrecht :: Contact

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Country code +31