Total Newb...spec'ing a Portofino for fiancee's 60th BD | FerrariChat

Total Newb...spec'ing a Portofino for fiancee's 60th BD

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by blbenson, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
    Let me just get this out of the way that I'm a total newb to the brand. Please forgive any uninformed questions or viewpoints which I'm sure to have.

My fiancee has always wanted a bespoke GT car such as a Maserati, Aston, etc. (She currently drives a rather pedestrian Lexus). I think she would absolutely fall in love with the Portofino, as I have. It's pretty much the most beautiful thing I've ever seen that has wheels. (My opinion, anyway.) As Ferrari first-timers, we are squarely in the target market for the PF.

I would like to surprise her for her 60th in October 2019. We're getting older. She's a cancer survivor (and now healthy thank goodness). At this point in life, it's time to say WTF and get her whatever she wants, cost be damned. One doesn't buy a car like this based on specs, price, etc. You buy it for the art and spirit of the thing and how your own soul interacts with the driving experience. You get a Ferrari because it's well..a Ferrari. And other cars are not. I get it...or at least I think I get it.

She would love a convertible. I have this vision of presenting the car to her with the top up. And hearing her say "But I really wanted a convertible. What about that?" I would stall as much as possible of course. Then at the right moment, she might say "What does this button do?". And I'd say "I don't know. Why don't you push it?"

Worth the price of admission right there.

I'll have lots of questions about spec'ing the car and the process of ordering.

Keep in mind that I'm spec'ing a car for a mature female driver who would tend not to push the car's performance too hard (although I might). She loves to drive, but she's not an extreme performance driver. We would use the car as a GT, driving locally a few times a week and road trip getaways of a few hundred miles or so. Maybe the occasional cross-country trip. The car would never be street raced or tracked.

If the car was just for me, I'd spec it differently. But I really want her to feel like this car was built for her with the options she'd like. She is more luxury oriented as opposed to racing oriented. I'd tick the box for all leather options. Full power seats yes. No passenger display. No CF. Wouldn't impress her at all, especially for the cost.

I'm thinking no shields. Yes, I am familiar with the discussions on this. We tend to keep our cars for a very long time, so resale is not a primary concern. She would look at those shields and ask "Why are these here?". And I'd explain about the racing team and she'd say "So?". Not her focus. She would prefer clean, classy, and elegant to race inspired badgery, even if it is iconic to the brand.

Paint...hopefully there's a standard color that'll work. With our hot southern climate, I'm thinking heat insulating windshield and light colors inside and out. We intend to put significant road miles on the car and inevitably there will be scratches and dings despite our best efforts at avoidance. Something in grey, aluminum-like, or a very light blue. She really wouldn't appreciate the ultra-premium price of some of the colors. I have the PF option list, but it lacks detail on what colors are standard vs. premium vs. ultra-premium. Suggestions?

We're on the Gulf coast and the most practical dealer choices are Houston or Atlanta. Any pros or cons of one vs. the other? We live bi-coastal, so we could also consider a west coast dealer. Or I suppose any US dealer for purchase as long as we could go to any of them for service.

Okay, I've probably written much more than I should for a first post.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions for options, dealers, and the process for ordering.

Respectfully,

Brian

anunakki, andruslik and TSOYBELIS like this.
  2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Congratulations! What an awesome gift!

Options add up in a hurry. Lots of paints are free, you’ll be fine there.

I’d add the better stereo. Also, to me, the shields are huge. They remind you of the awesome car you’re driving. It’s just an intrinsic thing regardless of the racing heritage. It’s like removing the prancing horse altogether with no shields on the car.

I cannot think of much else really needed. A contrasting color stitch always stands out and looks good, I think.

Again, nice job! It’s hard not including her in the build process. Just beware, it’s hard to stop at one Ferrari.

uhn2000 likes this.
  3. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Yes, upgraded stereo for sure. And I like the color stitch suggestion. Little details like that say "something special going on here".

Any thoughts on choosing a dealer? Any that are particularly good (or bad) to work with?

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is very cool.

Look into heated and ventilated seats. Great for hot climes. The dealer can look this up on their configurator.

I have heat insulating glass. You can add max legal tint after market to further keep it cool.

Among the standard light colors, look into argento nurburgring, grigio alloy, blue abu dhabi, grigio ingrid. They look good IMO, the latter are not common (so it'll add to the bespoke nature). And, since you'll be driving it a lot, they should hide dirt well! Wrap the car in paint protection film and hit the highways!

Magneride suspension. Greater ride comfort.

I'm with you, I think the Porto will look better without shields. For some colors. If you haven't, go to Ferrari.com, register and play with the configurator.

In addition to the contrast stitching. Look into having the cavallino stitched into the headrest. I think it is the cherry on the sundae!

For interior, I would not go too light - sabbath, crema. But that's me. I'd rather drive it than worry about it. Cuoio is a good compromise IMO.

Homelink. Makes it easier to get in and out of your garage.

Dedication plate in silver. Leave her in no doubt how you feel! She'll look at it every time she gets in the car!

As far as dealers, can't help there. Good luck!

T

5. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
    I did not know about the dedication plate. Thank you Tom!

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No prob. I saw one on a Cali at a recent car show. Said something like "Our dream come true".

T

blbenson likes this.
  7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    On the shields, I’d personally get them as to me they define the car as a Ferrari. It’s one of the things that always stood out to me on all the Ferrari’s I’ve ever seen since childhood. Then again If you skip them the car will certainly be one of a kind. I also agree on the leather, and the contrast stitching. And magnaride is also a good option as it makes the car ride much better. I also think any of the color options mentioned look very nice on this body style so I’d do as others have mentioned and play with the configutor and see what you like. I also agree on the cuoio is likely the interior color is option with the upper portion of the dash and steering wheel black as the cars I have seen with the dash one solid color other then black I didn’t care for too much. Another option that might be good, if you think you and your wife would use it, is the Apple car play. While an expensive option if it’s used would be worth the expense especially if you will be keeping the car for a long time. Another option I think is worth the extra expense having driven several different Ferrari’s is the front camera option as the rear camera is now standard. Again a pricy option but probably worth it if pulling into parking places forward facing as front fascia replacement is probably way more thenthe camera option.

8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    With all of the options and combinations that Ferrari offers,there are literally thousands of possible configurations. And that is before getting into Atelier and Taylor Made. Would you want someone else making all of those choices for you? Show her a Portofino,arrange a drive if possible,and then let her spend many pleasurable hours on her computer deciding what she wants. You won't have the fun of total surprise,but she will enjoy her car more for many years to come.

9. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
    That's an approach still under consideration. However...

And this is only what's true in my experience. And in my experience with this particular woman. Everyone's experiences are different.

If there are any women on the forum, I'd really welcome your thoughts. I heard a rumor that "they" are wired a little differently (certainly better) than us male folk.

For starters, I doubt that she'd make it over the hurdle of spending this much on a car. If she saw the price list her hair would catch fire. I don't have that problem. I'm over that hurdle. I would rather her not know specific costs. Obviously she'd know the car was ridiculously expensive. The quality speaks for itself. Deliciously. But expensive is relative. A PF is a lot of money for a car, but not a lot for a Ferrari. I would rather just have her enjoy and not dwell on the cost.

Sitting for hours at the computer weighing every little decision is a guy's approach. We're optimizers and analytics. At least I am. We love the details and will consider them ad nauseam. She wouldn't care like I would about tachometer color. Or exhaust tips. Or wheels and calipers -- what's a caliper? ;-) . Shields or no shields. Or any number of such details. She wouldn't enjoy that part of the process. She'd fret. She'd get frustrated. Other than colors, she'd say "I don't know, decide for me". It's just the way she's wired. Which is very different from myself.

Although there are many thousands of combinations possible as you noted, the vast majority of them I can eliminate based on what I know of her likes and dislikes, what's important to her and what is not. As first-timers, Atelier and Taylor Made aren't a consideration. (Maybe for the next one). There's an element of living dangerously here, making choices for someone else. But if the color is right, it has the right measure of class and elegance, she'll absolutely love it. Am I crazy? Or just stupid? Hehe.

So, on the color... It has to be on the lighter side. And from the standard palette (to have more budget for other options).

I was leaning towards Grigio Ingrid. Great romantic backstory there with Roberto Rosselini and Ingrid Bergman. And then I saw a comment "looks like it belongs on grandma's Cadillac". Killed it for me. We've all seen "grandma's Cadillac". Full stop on that. Ha!

Another choice is speaking to me. Grigio Alloy. Seems to have just the right balance of gray/silver and a hint of blue. (She always picks silver to grey cars) This looks really good on the configurator with chrome painted rims. That might be the one.

Thanks for all your comments so far guys. I really want to get this right, so much appreciated.

B

anunakki and Jaguar36 like this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For us old married guys, it could work! I picked the model, my wife choose the colors, for both our Cali and 911. After 20 years, she's got a pretty good idea what her hubby likes!

Brian - Maybe having your dealer - once you have one selected - arrange an Atelier visit to Italy is a good, albeit expensive, way to kill two birds with one stone in terms of keeping it special but ensuring the spec is to get taste? Also, Italy is molto romantico!

Alternatively, let her spec it out exactly the way she wants. As my wife says, that's half the fun of a new Ferrari. Then, unbeknownst to your fiancee, surprise her with a special, dedication plate when it arrives!

T

jumpinjohn and blbenson like this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    B - My brother from another mother! :) My wife & I are pretty similar. For my 50th birthday she bought me a Porsche 911, which I had lusted over for some years. I said "911s cost a lot, let's get a Cayenne, cheaper and more practical." She said "F*** that, if you're buying a Porsche, you're getting a 911 for your mid-life crisis car & it better not be in a boring color!" Hey, never argue with your wife. I now drive a red/beige Porsche 911! :cool:

I also showed my wife GI. Explained the back story. She said that it reminded her of the "champagne" color of cars driven by old farts! :eek:

I've seen Grigio Alloy in person. To me, it had a tinge of blue as well. My wife also thought it was a nice color. Visually stunning especially in full sunshine...T

blbenson likes this.
  12. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
    For a dedication plate, I'm thinking "Ti adoro. Ora e sempre"

And/or...take her to Fiorano for a sport driving course. That's gotta be fun!

tomc likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    LARRYH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You are one suave chap! Me likey!
    T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  16. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
  17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The Configurator doesn't show prices,if that helps. And most of ordering a Ferrari involves choosing colors and styles and other appearance factors. Main body color (more than two dozen choices). Roof and A-pillar colors. Upholstery color or colors. Seat style. Seat belt color. Any Alcantara? Any carbon fiber? Contrasting stitching? Colored horsies? It's like shopping for clothes or decorating and furnishing a house. She'll dig it.

18. blbenson

blbenson Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brian Benson
    A few things I'm certain of. There are maybe only 2-3 paint colors from the standard palette that she'd go for. She wouldn't like black roof/A-pillar (perception of hot in our climate). She definitely doesn't like black or dark colors in the interior. Even Cuoio interior is probably much too dark/masculine for her. She's not impressed with CF. To her it looks more techie/racy (which it is) than elegant. Definite yes to contrasting stitching, horses, colored seatbelts, colored dash and wheel. etc. Seat style is only one offered on PF, yes? They seem to make a big deal of the magnesium frame on the new PF seats which gives 5cm more backseat legroom. I think there are only a few items that I could be a little off on. But the palette is pretty narrowed down.

You guys have made some good points though. I'm pondering how to get her input without letting the cat out of the bag completely.

19. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    As well as the standard seats there are two other options. Daytona and also a cross pattern with central stripe.

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    As GlowRed pointed out,the current Configurator doesn't show all the seat options. To see what should become available,look at the Configurator for the California T.

21. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    @blbenson

Hi Brian:

I'd do:

Bianco Avus
    Sabbia Internal color with filo speciale bianco stitching and nero carpets
    Daytona Seats
    Bianco horse stitching on head rests
    Leather lower dashboard
    homelink
    navtrack antitheft
    Sports Exhaust
    Anti Chipping
    Front and Rear Parking Cameras
    20 inch diamond forged rims with Yellow Break calipers
    Magneride
    Apple Carplay/Android Auto
    Media system upgrade
    +/- LED Steering wheel

22. Raghu

Raghu Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Full Name:
    Raghu
    I ordered my Portofino through Craig Becker at Ferrari of Houston. They made the ordering process easy and have kept me well informed. Its a large dealership with an extensive service department and owns a Ferrari racing team. My car is allocated for a July build and will see how the rest of the process goes. Congratulations to your fiancee and hope she enjoys it.

23. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When did you order to get July delivery?

24. Raghu

Raghu Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Full Name:
    Raghu
    I ordered mine in November 2017.

25. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I hope it is on time. I ordered last month and was told this November.