Total Newb...spec'ing a Portofino for fiancee's 60th BD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Total Newb...spec'ing a Portofino for fiancee's 60th BD

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by blbenson, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raghu

Raghu Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Full Name:
    Raghu
    That's great. Mine is on schedule to be built in July, but the factory closes in August for vacations. It will ship after that and may arrive close to the same time as yours. My dealer told me mine will be among the first costumer cars delivered to the U.S. I hope you enjoy your car.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree with the earlier suggestions.

I brought my wife with me to the dealer to place our order for our Cali-T. She is not a car person. She didn’t want to come but came along anyway, bringing a book to read while I did the order. Now, I had spent hours with the online configurator and had a definite spec in mind. Silverstone or CdF with Cuio interior, carbon shields etc. basically a mild conservative look.

When she saw the car on the big screen TV, she was hooked in and suddenly had a lot of ideas. We ended up with Argento and Rossa interior with deviating stitching. A completely different look. When it came the the shields, she had a very definite opinion for the yellow shields because it is “traditional “!

We normally have grey, silver or white vehicles, so when we went to configure the 812, I expected her to pick a similar spec. But instead, she fell in love with Blu Abu Dhabi with Tortora interior. Not at all what I expected, but a beautiful spec.

We have been happily married for 31 years and she still surprises me. For me, it was so much fun seeing her get so engaged and have so much fun herself that I really don’t mind the car looking a bit different than I thought. The dealer of course never talks about prices... (Ha!)

You could even take her in and just spec one for fun. You aren’t gonna buy it, of course, let’s just do it for fun!

That way in a year she is surprised to see her dream car show up! Just an idea...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  4. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I like the shields, and will want them.

But.

I do think the real purpose of the side shield is so that whomever you pull up next to at a light can know what it is you're driving. It's a Brag Tag.

tomc likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Have you posted pics on F-chat of your 812 in Blu Abu Dhabi?
    T

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is on the boat...

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I don’t know the real purpose but I could care less about bragging and frankly wish there were no shields. I get them because of resale primarily because as much as I say I won’t trade this one in on another... I am an addict.

8. TheLastdragon

TheLastdragon Rookie

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kirby harris
    Take her shopping for a C Class Mercedes. Let her pick colors etc. hear from her what is important and translate what you learn Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That sounds like a good idea. But what if she falls in love with the Mercedes and is disappointed when all she gets is a Ferrari?

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The dealer configurator is now showing Daytona seats as an option. So be prepared for more choices when you order from the dealership...

11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I wouldn't get shields either. You should work w/ the closest dealer to you. You might want to consider the GranTurismo Convertible as it is still NA and Maserati has more dealerships.

12. jfm_cdm

jfm_cdm Rookie

May 18, 2013
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim

‘[t]hey define the car as a Ferrari”. And the six other Cavalino’s On the car (front, back, 4 wheels) + the Ferrari on the boot don’t tell someone what the car is?

I’ve got one Ferrari with them and two without. My 512BB does not have them and I don’t recall them being that common before say 20 years ago and the older cars that have SF shields have them hand painted on which is a different (more subtle) look. It is a question of personal taste. I’ve grown to believe simpler is better and without them, you get a better more continuous visual of the car’s lines. If focused on ease of resale, then go red, cuoio, shields. If not, and it is her car, think hard about what SHE’d want. IMO, If you are going to the effort and expense of spec’ing one out, make it special and unique! And when you get it, drive it like you stole it!

blbenson and tomc like this.
  13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Can’t argue with your logic. For me I don’t think it’s the resale but I actually like the shields. I also like the red but have really been drawn to the blues. The yellow calipers and shields really pop with the blues. At the end of the day yeah it’s all about personal preference and while it might be a billboard screaming “hey I’m a Ferrari” and that isn’t that bad in and of itself to a certain extent.

14. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    this would be a great color and maybe or sabia interior with either black carpet or better yet dark blue carpet and blue stitching... I bought a Maserati for my wife several years ago in this color combination it was perfect..she loved it
    Also I love the idea of buying the car as a surprise for your lady....I have done similar .. The way I did it was about six months earlier I took her out looking at cars and got her to drive several different brands etc telling her I wanted to look and then I just listened to her went out later and ordered the car I thought she would love ...and she does...

tomc likes this.
  16. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    I would make sure and get folding rear seats. Will give you more flexibility for luggage/storage on road trips you mentioned. On the California they were an option, not sure if they are still an option or standard on PF.

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    They are an option. But be aware that you have to open the trunk lid and press a button for each side to be able to pull open the seatbacks. I plan to modify this so that I can simply pull open the seatbacks from inside.

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^$1700 per the latest option list....T

19. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hmmm...not to take a detour on the thread but one of my seat backs on my 2010 won’t stay up. I thought it was the tension in the hinge since it just flops down and the other stays up. Neither seem to engage the latch. I haven’t looked for a button in the trunk that may affect their operation.

20. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Yes, go with the new model for her. Less headaches having a warranty. Get the car coated with XPEL or Sunguard. Your a good husband.

Sent from my Z1 PRO using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. airtire

airtire Rookie

Jun 30, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dealer??

I just completed a transaction with Ferrari of Houston on a 2015 Cal T, Craig Becker was the salesperson. They went over and above excellent. I spoke with many dealers while I was looking, and many are flaky and don't respond quickly. I made a deal for the car on a Thursday and they shipped the car Friday. Highly recommend Craig at Ferrari Houston.

blbenson likes this.
  22. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    That only works for used cars as one should work w/ their local Ferrari dealership in regards to new orders.

23. dr_genious

dr_genious Karting

Dec 20, 2017
    Lucerne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Sven
    #48 dr_genious, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    You have that so wonderfully written and first of all I wish you many more happy years full of love, health and happiness together. Whatever you choose for her, she will love it, no doubt. Wonderful.

For your lady, here are the specs I would pic (not for you, not for me, for HER): Grigio Ingrid, roof black, rims black /gunmetal, Interior light beige OR Iroko / Choccolato w contrast stitching (I would go with the light interior w ciuio stitching . Very elegant, and it would really be her's. You should order the passenger display for YOURSELF though ;).

Still would do the shields, so you could do yellow calipers. If no shields, keep the calipers black.

All the best!!

P.S: I have the Portofino on order for me, my wife gets a McLaren for her 50th (4 years to go on the day!)

tomc likes this.
  24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John