Toughest state in the union? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Toughest state in the union?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by darth550, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You and i have already discussed guns and the commonness thereof, so we don't need to go into detail here, i'm sure...

By the way, New Yorkers know how to spell "tinsel"... :)

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia.

All the hills and mountainous terrain and large forests would keep potential invaders tied down in a vietnam style quagmire for years.

As far as I can tell Mexico already invaded Texas a long time ago and they gave up without a shot fired.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    LOL!

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FYI, I am taking the standard "Drunk for three weeks / 12 hour jet-lag" exemption for the moment I changed my profile. Now that I am awake I can unequivocally tell you that I can spell NEW YORK WILL GET ITS A.SS KICKED IN A FIGHT WITH LA!

BTW, Which flag would you rather be flying from your (perennially top up)convertible? How can you honestly say your heart is fully in this? Aren't you the one who wants to move HERE from THERE?????????

DL

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    "Don`t Mess With Texas!"

Greetings from a foreigner from Germany but well "used" with Teaxas & the rules;)

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, there's no question i'd rather be in Cali than NY... i'm just keepin' it real... Even if i lived out there, i'd still say that NY would come out on top... It's rough out here...

i'll never forget that day when i was 15 and dipped into a bowling alley and hid in the shoe closet, only to hear 8 or 9 guys run in, guns drawn, looking for me... i never stood so still in my life...

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    .....and that was just for a bad call in T-Ball!

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Then there was the time some dude knocked on my door; i went outside to talk to him and a bunch of his friends came around the corner... Next thing i know, i'm laying on the ground with a gun in my face and a bunch of people standing around me, itching to continue beating me into submission... i was 15 then, too... LOL, i'm really surprised i ever made it to 16...

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Was that the time that you cheated in Bingo? They take Bingo seriously in the Bronx.

10. John

John Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Torrance, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    who needs guns and knifes when you have people like : Tito Ortiz, Tank Abbot, Gil Castillo, Pete Williams, chuck liddell, ken Shamrock, and the ROYCE GRACIE..

I had to put royce's name in caps because i train with his brother (Rorion) and nephews (Ryron, Rener and Ralek )..!

Rener and I had graduated at the same time from the same school!

-John

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

DL living in Los Angeles for 20 years and living in WA/OR/TX for little while here and there, I can tell you Tinseltown is not as racist as LOTS of other places in this country. It is one of the most tolerable places of different ethnicities.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, in that case do forgive me.

By the way, I am a person of color, and speak from personal experience.
    Go to a bar in Rochester, WA and when you find yourself the only colored patron among hundreds and all eyes looking at you and music stops when you walk in the door, that to me hints at racism. Does not happen to me at a bar in Los Angeles for sure.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yup Ryan, you are correct. Boston does not take kindly to colored people. Good Will Hunting I think shows a good glimpse of Boston with the Irish. I think there is a lot of pride in those communities from the orginal immigrants.

I love the city of Boston, but would not be favoring living there anytime soon, sadly.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Long Island is riddled with racism... Being just another white dude, people always feel like it's okay to tell me what they think of other ethnicities... That's usually the last conversation we have... i have very few friends because of racism and it's really disgusting when you think about it...

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yes Long Island is bad. I was there for thanksgiving. Have some family who live in there close to the Valley Stream train station. Woodmere I think is the city. I got plenty of stares while out for a Sat walk.

Racism is everywhere, I was just pointing out that Los Angeles is not bad at all. For people who think LA is bad, they need to go to some other cities where it is horrendous.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The racism in the area that I work is horrendous and it flows in all directions. The reason for it is obvious. There is a critical lack of quality education around here. Ignorance and racism go hand in hand and ignorance is running rampant here! It sucks.

16. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    My vote is for Alaska... especially wintertime.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    After spending 5 years in Poly-territory, I would agree with a high frequency of crime and that Polys are 'tough,' BUT the huge difference is the seriousness of the crime: Hawaii ranks like #2 or 3 per capita in the US in crime, but the vast majority of it is small theft. "Borrowing" is pretty rampant, I lost some Oakleys, a pair of Jordans, cologne and some other odds and ends to the neighborhood kids. Mostly petty stuff. Bikes are stolen alot (although if you find them riding it you usually get it back... ).

Domestic violence can be bad too, as Poly culture is very physical - both the men and women! I was afraid when my Samoan friend's Dad got mad, but if his mom was angry I was outta there. However, for as many fights as there are, they stay mostly as fistfights... weapons are not the Polynesian style. For example, I've been heckled a few times by truckloads of teenagers, but I knew the worst thing they'd do is want to start some fisticuffs, but I never feared for my life.

In short, I'd say that Hawaii is very rough-and-tumble, but not serious-life-threatening like gun-toting Southerners.

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FYI, We in LA just endured a (get this) FULL DAY OF RAIN!!!!! We can take anything!

Who's your daddy?

DL

19. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    "In short, I'd say that Hawaii is very rough-and-tumble, but not serious-life-threatening like gun-toting Southerners."

Ryan: You are right. And "property rights" are indeed looked at very differently! Only for good-old-fashioned-getting-into-trouble as you mind-your-own-business Hawaii is the tops! But I do remember on the news every evening a lover's spat ending in a killing, and that is out of a population of only 1,000,000!

For drive-bys, crazed gang-bangers and drug turf shoot-'em-ups there are indeed worse places... NYC by the way (unless you are scoring or dealing) is remarkably safe. Harlem, Bed-Sty and The Bronx are nothing like they were a few years ago.