Tow hook | FerrariChat

Tow hook

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi all,

It looks like the tow hook for my 412 wondered off at some point in my car’s history... not good to realize as you’re needing to get the car onto a flat bed to go off to the shop for coolant leaks! (In case you’re wondering, there’s no way I saw to get the car onto a flatbed unless it’s under its own power or with a tow hook).

I looked in Ricambi and the tow hook is shown in the parts diagram, but not listed as a part per se... Eurospares doesn’t even show it on their diagrams. My guess is that it’s no longer available.

Does anyone have an extra one / know of one that I may be able to purchase?

Are there any substitutes? My 550 has a tow hook, but the cars were at different locations so I was unable to try it - does anyone know if it will work?

Cheers!

Ruben

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Ruben,
    Eurospares shows the Ferrari 412 tow hook as part number 121456 (new/in stock), item n. 21 in the page 057-Tool Kit https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/412-mechanical/interiors/tool-kit-31639/95990853

That part (n. 21) is also shown as an image on the US based page https://algarferrari.com/store/parts/12-cylinder/gt-group-2-2/412/table-57, however it is not present in the list which stops at item n. 20.

The part is not found in Maranello Classic Parts list for the 412 (https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/SEO/SEO_Parts.aspx?id=134&car=401), I find this surprising.

I am not able to tell if the 550 tow hook will work on a 412.

I have seen 400's being pulled on a flat bed, the towing cable hook was attached on the lower front suspension triangle.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Merci Jean-Michel!

Not sure how I missed it on Eurospares, but will order from them... although seems a bit steep at $120!

Ruben

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Agreed:)

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    That hook looks like many used on German cars e.g. M-B. A junk yard might have one for a few bucks if thread matches. What does it thread into? My 400i has a hook on frame, not removable.
    Ken

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Agreed Ken, I’d be surprised if this is a 412 only part. On the 412, there’s a cut out on the chin spoiler where you can pop off a cover and screw in the hook.

I’ve found the tow hook for the 550 at a much more reasonable $38 (Eurospares)... It’s just a bit longer than the 412 piece but I’d be surprised if they have a different thread pattern. I’ll try the hook in my currently in my 550’s tool box and if it works I’ll just order that and report back here.

Ruben

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I wanted to loop back in case it helps someone else in the future: today I was able to test my 550 tow hook on my 412 and it fits perfectly. It’s available at Eurospares for $38 vs $120 for the 412 part number.

Cheers!

Ruben

rovexienus likes this.
  8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    @OttoB was mentioning that his 400 has been towed plenty of times just using the lower suspension arms, which did not seem viable in the 412.

When I went to pick up my 412 from the shop today, they were also servicing another 400, so I got back to back shots of the 2 cars. See below (400 in gold, 412 is in blue).

Some interesting comparisons I’d not realized prior:

- The 412 has a much lower belly pan than the 400, probably for improved aerodynamics. This completely covers the front lower suspension arms.

- The 412 has a chin spoiler that is about 2-3cm lower than the 400. Again, likely for improved aerodynamics. Note the receiver for the tow hook (cover was removed for the pic).

Cheers,

Ruben

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login