458 - Toyo R888R tires | FerrariChat

458 Toyo R888R tires

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nesch18, Feb 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Has anybody ever mounted the Toyo R888R tires on the stock rear wheels? If yes what size and how did they feel?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What car and why only rears? What are using the car for and what is on the front?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    These are not available in a size close to the stock front tire. I want them for traction off the line.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is not advised to run this tyre on one axle only.

What model car is it? 458 or 488/F8?

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Right.

Seeing that you have a 458, forget this one. It is not that great of a tyre to begin with.

Get the Trofeo R. It is a better tyre and come in a good size.

Use 245/35R20 front and 295/35R20 rear.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    R888 is terrible in the wet, have good grip in the dry until they don’t (which is way before the tread wears out), and give very inconsistent traction at that point. Agree, bad idea. Michelin PS4 (if street) can’t be beat for all around tire. You will be traction limited in this car regardless of tire. Learn to manage it with the throttle and enjoy the control near the limit.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think you meant to say MPS4S, yes? MPS4 is not a great shoe for the 458.

Now despite my fondness for the MPS4S, there's a big difference in how well it hooks up compared to the Trofeo R regardless of temp in the dry. The Trofeo R is just that much more soft of a tyre. It's not like the Cup 2 that needs heat to outperform the MPS4S.

I have tried the R888R a few times now(not R888), and for the price and type of tyre it is, one can do quite a bit better.
    Nankang AR-1, Trofeo R, and Cup 2 R are all better R compound tyres than both the R888R and the R888. Not sure what the hype about the R888R is, I don't see anything it does better than the others.

johnr265 likes this.
  8. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Yes, correct. Of course, not an R compound tire but I think unless you plan to track the car, R compound tires don't make a lot of sense for the street. They take a long time to get to optimal temp, and have a very narrow operating temp range as well unless you live in a very warm climate.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Agree in many ways. I will say that on dry pavement, a Trofeo R still has more grip cold than a MPS4S. It is a VERY soft compound after all.
    The Cup 2 is a totally different story. It actually has a nice operating range, but it only comes on from about 55 C. But that is not an R compound.
    The MPS4S drops off like thrown from a cliff after about 50 C. Definitely not a track tyre.

If the OP is looking for something that can be used for a bit of dragging, the Trofeo R is a viable option unless you want to go with a real DOT drag radial. I suppose the R888R in the 305/35R20 size can be used for a bit of dragging, but I personally think the Trofeo R is way better suited for this. The nice thing about the Trofeo R is also that it grips very well and it is available for all four wheels.

But it looks like the OP is gone.

johnr265 and Nesch18 like this.
  10. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #10 Nesch18, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    yup. A little bit of dragging. I think I’ll check out these Trofeos. I can’t find the trofeo r tires for the front though.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B