"Toys for Tots" run | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Toys for Tots" run

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WDR328, Nov 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I think the Salvation Army always does a great job sounds like a plan

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Don, I suggest that you investigate this site - it's the site for the DFW Toys for Tots - toys are taken thru Dec 18.

http://www.dfwtoysfortots.com

Carol

3. 98R648

98R648 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2004
    Full Name:
    Nicola Cappelletti
    I'm interested, but I'll be out of town the weekend of the 10th.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

It would have to be Rob, I don't yet have the list.

Carol's stated that she has conflicts on the 10th, as has Nicola so that may not be the best date.

Once a date and starting/ending location is chosen by Don then I would also suggest trying to contact the other exotic car clubs such as the ICCSW, MAFFIA, PCNT, etc.

5. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    IMHO, "coverage" can't hurt. It would be nice to publicize the run as it might generate awareness in the general public and encourage others to make donations that might not have. on a side note, it would also be nice to get publicity for the DFW-FCA which showed Ferrari owners giving to the community, to combat some of the negative stereotypes surrounding exotic car owners.

It's not required though.

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E

Or, it could reinforce it. "Look at those Ferrrari people drawing attention to themselves".

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    IMHO I would rather just do it and no one else has to know. It would have to be a right situation too. I've done deliveries through church or work to a persons house and the last thing I would do is pull up in a Ferrari. A hospital or kids center would be OK though.

Seems like there is enough interest to make this happen, let me know when details are final and I'll send the info out.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Here's an excerpt from the website:

"Marine Corps Reserve Units located throughout the nation conduct toy collection and distribution Campaigns in the communities near their Reserve Centers each year. Campaigns begin in October and last until December 22. Local businesses allow Marines to position collection receptacles in their stores so that caring Americans can purchase and drop off new unwrapped toys. Marines pick up, sort and store these toys in a central warehouse. As Christmas nears, Marines distribute toys to local social welfare agencies, churches and hospitals for distribution to needy children on Christmas day.

While Marines organize, coordinate and manage the program, the ultimate success depends on the support of the local community and the generosity of the people who donate toys."

It would make sense to go to one of the designated "drop" locations to deposit the goodies. There are bunches of them listed - my suggestion (perhaps a selfish one) would be obviously in the FTW area as it's so much easier access for us than Dallas. Or even still perhaps start somewhere and drop off at a couple locations . . . an idea is to end in FTW and make arrangements at Lightcatcher or one of the other wineries for a mini wine tasting celebration for the holiday season. A suggestion, do the toy thingie early in the afternoon and wine tasting mid to late afternoon and everyone can have their evening free to do other things.

I have to agree with Rob - you have to be very careful on how this is done.

I also think that something to consider for next year's rally is to also support the Toys for Tots with an unwrapped toy donation as part of the rally entry fee.

Carol

9. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    True. I thought Don's suggestion had merrit, but there are pro's and con's either way. Sounds like you and Rob among others would prefer to do this "under the radar", so that's good too. The important thing is to donate some nice things to the less fortunate. Anyway we do it is good by me, as long as it gets done.

10. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

I agree....people who believe in the stereotype are going to view the attention getting as a reinforcement to the stereotype, no matter how well-intentioned the cause may be.

I like Rob's idea...how about a hospital for very sick kids like the Scottish Rite Hospital? They provide incredible FREE services to help kids.

http://www.tsrh.org/index.cfm

Or there is also the Pediatric cancer center at Children's Medical Center/UT Southwestern.

11. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    First of all Ferrari's draw attention, and the more Ferrari's the more attention! Twenty or so F-cars going down the road are going to draw some eyes no matter what. In any event I am off the publicity deal. All I was trying to do was to point out that F owners are not necessarily "snobs" and we like to get together, have fun and we (like the motorcycle people) can and will give to the community in which we live, work and play.
    So let's take a look at the following: Huffhines' deal is on the 10th and I have received some communications that the 10th is a problem. So the run needs to be on the 17th because the drop off last date is the 18th. I have been in contact with the Salvation Army and they have faxed me several drop off points and a list for the sponsoring organization or club. The Knight's would like to do a Ft. Worth drop and probably so would Manny, FD (where is FD?) and a couple of others. But several folks will be coming from Dallas. Therefore how about the Arlington drop off at 4217 S. Cooper. That would be Cooper and I-20.
    What we would do is: the Dallas group meet at noon at a location TBA. We then take off and head toward Grapevine, meet at a location there and pick up additional cars, then head toward north arlington and pick up the Ft. worth group and then head "enmass" to south Arlington, drop off the toys and either go to the winery as Carol suggested or head to another location that sells libations--there are plenty in that area.
    If this "gels" with you guys then I am going to work on some routes. I need to know a count and where you are coming from-Dallas, Lewisville, etc. Remember to bring an unwrapped toy. Also pray for good weather!!!
    Anybody with contacts with other clubs please talk to them and bring them into the run. We wii see everyone on the 17th!!!

12. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    12/17/05 it is!

Silly question: Did Salvation Army give you any preferred "types" of toys or preferred parameters, ie. no battery operated, ages x and up, etc?

13. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    The problem with the Scottish Rite Hospital is that there is very limited parking. When I was there several years ago with a group on Motorcycles, it was a bit of a twit to park 100 bikes and deliver the toys. Most everybody had to go to the entrance, drop off the toy and then move to another location if they wanted to chat! If someone knows of a deserving church or organization--I am all EARS. I am just making suggestions, but I don't intend to get into a spat as to where this energy is funneled--It is the season for giving!!!!!

14. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Using Manny's list this is what we have so far.

Don 2 cars Dallas

Martin 2 cars

Tillman 1 car Lewisville 78.9% confirmed

Brian R. 1 car Dallas

Dave 1 car

Dusty 1 car "all updates would be appreciated"

Carol 1 car Waco

Ricky 1 car

George 1 car

Jano 1 car Lewisville

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    If you are using a service like the Marines Toys for Tots or the Salvation Army, they have specific places where they place the toys see my prior post - here's part of it - "As Christmas nears, Marines distribute toys to local social welfare agencies, churches and hospitals for distribution to needy children on Christmas day.
    While Marines organize, coordinate and manage the program, the ultimate success depends on the support of the local community and the generosity of the people who donate toys."

There are so many kids out there living in shelters for various reasons that have absolutely nothing but the clothes on their back; kids that have endured disaster; kids in foster homes - the list goes on and on - these are the ones that a toy for Christmas makes all the difference in the world. I have worked with kiddos in adverse situations and a smile on a little face says it all.

Carol

16. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Using Marks original list... ;) LOL I updated a couple of people / starting points: ;)

Don 2 cars Dallas

Martin 2 cars Southlake

Brian R. 1 car Dallas

Dave K 1 car Arlington

Dusty 1 car Paradise "all updates would be appreciated"

Carol 1 car Waco

Ricky 1 car Sugarland

George 1 car Plano

Jano 1 car Lewisville

Jimmy V - 1 car? E. Dallas

Nicola - 1 car Ft. Worth?

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow, I don't count for crap here. Left off the list once again. No matter, I'll stll be glad to do my share.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll do it if available. Did I miss a date or has it not been announced?

19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Will - I didn't put the list together but I am making an amendment to same,
    Carol

Using Marks original list... LOL I updated a couple of people / starting points:

Don 2 cars Dallas

Martin 2 cars Southlake

Brian R. 1 car Dallas

Dave K 1 car Arlington

Dusty 1 car Paradise "all updates would be appreciated"

Carol 1 car Waco

Ricky 1 car Sugarland

George 1 car Plano

Jano 1 car Lewisville

Jimmy V - 1 car? E. Dallas

Nicola - 1 car FTW

Will - 1 car FTW

Rob - 1 car (?)

A BIG thanks to Don for thinking of those of us not located in Dallas - greatly appreciated by all the "Westerners" and South Westerners".

20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    17 December

21. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Looks like 12/17 is the current concensus, but I don't think it's "official" yet.

Will, sorry we missed you. :)

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I've got a wedding to go to that weekend so I am doubtful, but I'll try to give a toy to somebody who's going.

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Just a thought -- but the Fcars aren't really known for cargo capacity.

We may need a support truck...

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    alas, the beauty of 2+2 ownership -> fold down rear seats and a sun roof

Carol

25. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Thanks Don for your kind words :) The 17 is good with me.