"Toys for Tots" run | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Toys for Tots" run

Discussion in 'Texas' started by WDR328, Nov 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    The 17th works for me

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thanks, by folding my back seats down gives me much more cargo space. I'll be glad to haul any overflow that some F cars can't handle.

3. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Same here

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    If Sophia isn't back from Norwoods, we'll probably come in Kermit (C320C) so if all my backseat bears don't mind, we'd have some spare room too!

Carol

5. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    The Run is the 17th the third Saturday in December. I am working on a couple of other possibilities--that would be the Ronald McDonald House and the Family Place. There is a possibility we might be able to mingle with the Kiddoes at the Ronald Mac house but not at the family place. The problem with these two venues is that they are Dallas. I am also not sure about the number of people in these facilities. We must be very careful not to show up with 30 toys when there are 50 children, which is why I keep going back to the "toys for Tots"in Arlington. I have called them and explained the deal and they are very receptive to the idea and there will be no problem with the time frame. IN ADDITION, this also makes it easier on our western members and it gives us an excuse to excercise the Ponies just before Christmas.

FYI, in response to Marks question about the type of toys--the drop off place in Arlington said that they would accept anything-battery powered, etc. I suspect if you bring a Bat powered toy you should include the bats.

Sorry Will and anybody else I left out of the list I was just trying to get something put together, to get an idea of from where everyone would be starting.

6. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    The main purpose of this run is to help the less fortunate, with the secondary purpose of us getting together for a drive. (if I'm incorrect, please let me know).

That being said, does anyone have objection to inviting "car enthusiasts", not from the Fchat group to join us. Ie. I have a friend with Supra who's interested, and another who is just a sports car enthusiasts and is interested as well. The friend with the Supra has several other friends that are into things like this and he would be glad to invite them as well.

Any objections? Or... do we want to keep this smaller, fchat only type of event?

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I think you've hit the nail properly, this is supposed to be a charity event with the more charity the better. I personally would like to see a Mini-van stuffed with toys but I'm not organising this event just participating.

BTW; Big kudos to Don etc for their care and efforts thus far.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Is it possible to find out what the kids want & really need rather than what we would buy them at random? Clothes, toys, music, etc... I would feel a little better about that if that is all possible. Kind of like what Channel 5 does with it's Angel Tree at shopping malls. I went out to Mattel warehouse earlier to check the F car stock & noticed that they are still clearing out older toys from 2002 etc... Most kids want the lastest & greatest, not last years.

btw, they do have 1:18th scale red F50's (coupe) in stock.

9. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    Sounds Good. I would probably just drive to wherever the first meet is going to be and proceed to pick up everyone. If someone can provide me the get together addresses in advance, I can make a route for all the stops and e-mail it or post it, or distribute it... whatever b4 the run.

P.S. Sorry about the sloppiness but I've been working like a dog and I just stayed past my bed time playing Forza on Live.

10. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Sorry I missed a post earlier, when I responded to Manny's question about vehicular participation. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: If you have a vehicle that is street legal and you want to help make some kiddoe's Christmas a little brighter---bring a toy and join in the fun. I talked to the people at the Ronald Mac house this afternoon, they would positively love to see us arrive, BUT there are some caveats-not the least of which is that those people there have some children with severe problems and there just may be some problems with us arriving there!!! I do not want to make this run a potential disaster and, brother have I run into some interesting scenerios. This may be the hardest bunch of toys I have ever tried to give away.
    In any event the downside to the R. Mac house is that it is in Dallas and I wanted to bring everybody into the event, so that no one was inconvenienced by a long drive---UNLESS of course you got lost after the libation session!!
    I am going to make another couple of contacts with potential recipients that I got leads on from a couple of my clients, tomorrow and Friday. Then this weekend I will do a run to the collection site for the Marines. Monday, if not sooner, I will make a final destination post and then plan from there.
    To all of you that have expressed support and "attaboys", thank you very much. I look forward to the event and just wish we could see the expressions on the faces when they receive their gifts-we won't but we can imagine!
    I really take great pride in being a member of a club that has responded so overwhelingly to an inquisitive post that, frankly I thought would probably just go by the wayside. You people are the greatest!!! Now let's make this thing work.

11. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Hey count me in. If we need cargo capacity I'll take the GX instead of the 355. Just let me know.

12. GS Lee

GS Lee Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Lee
    Count me in also (One F car). Coming for Valley Ranch.

Thanks,

Greg

13. Dusty @ MVP

Dusty @ MVP Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Paradise, TX
    Full Name:
    Dusty Womack
    Sorry, very busy week. I haven't logged on in 5 days.

Anyhow, I'm in!

Dusty

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Don - please clear your PM box!!! I tried to reply to you but the system won't accept anymore messages. I sent Carolyn a regulation email this morning.

Have a great day.

Carol

15. WatchDoc

WatchDoc Rookie

Jan 16, 2005
    dallas
    I'm interested, be driving a 911 though, comming from valley ranch

16. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    ATTENTION: ladies and gentlemen. I have come up with a better idea than I had before, as far as the route and the drop off area. We will be working with the Salvation Army and it is a small Corps office, but it serves a large county that has many needy families. I am in the middle of working out the final details, but the neat part is that they want us to display the cars, they will advertise that we will be there in hopes that more people will show up at their toy drive and admission is an unwrapped toy. There will be a run involved with this and we will be East of Dallas. These people really need some help and we can be of great assistance.
    One of the gifts that they need the most is for Males age 8 to 12. We need to accumulate gifts but we really need to concentrate on this age group and gift idea. I am going to talk to the people at some length tomorrow but we really need to make sure that we show up with as many Ferraris as we can muster.
    I will have additional gift ideas tomorrow after talking with the people. Thanks in advance for your help.

17. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    Together we can make this a very fun and successful event! You've got a PM Don!

18. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Where will we be meeting to start & what time on the 17th? I will be coming from Plano with my Honda Accord coupe...with fold down rear seat opening into the truck...room for carrying many toys.

19. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    George; I have two depart selections and I will not know which one until about the middle of next week. I will post with plenty of time for all to see. Just trying to work out a toy deal, and if that works then the location of the start will change.

Don

20. Dusty @ MVP

Dusty @ MVP Karting

Oct 10, 2004
    Paradise, TX
    Full Name:
    Dusty Womack
    I just posted on SupraForums.com to get some more Supras (etc.) involved. I will update as people post up that they will attend.

The quicker we have a firm route and times the better of course.

Kind regards,

Dusty

21. M512

M512 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M512
    My friend Don will be joining us. He is in the Supra camp. He was going to post something up on SupraForums, but I told him to hold off till we finalized details. Can't hurt that you posted it up Dusty. Did you include the date of 12/17, or just make a general post that it's coming? If you didn't give the date, can you go back and add that. That way people can at least work around the day.

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Are you bringing the new car? It looks great!

23. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I am in with an F car.

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Which one? :)

25. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Probably the 330, its got new tires now so unlike the Fall rally I can try to keep up with all the fast white F cars.