TPMS Question | FerrariChat

TPMS Question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ItalianStallionNJ, Mar 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalianStallionNJ

Mar 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Reilly
    Hello all, I am a new member on here based out of NJ. I have a 2012 California that I am looking for some assistance with. My question is with regards to the tire pressure monitoring sensors. The factory wheels that came on the car have functioning sensors with no issues. My question is that, if I purchase another set of wheels for the car, and purchase sensors to put in them, will the car recognize this second set when I recalibrate the TPMS with the menu?

In the past, I have owned an F430 coupe and a Maserati Grancabrio and had different experiences with each of these cars. In the F430, I had 2 sets of wheels and just had to recalibrate in the car whenever I would have the different set put on. The car recognized both sets of TPMS sensors with no issues. In the Maserati, the car would only recognize the set that came with the car and not the second set. The dealer was unable to do this as well, as they were only able to make the car recognize one or the other, not both if I chose to swap back and forth.

So my question is mainly asking if anyone has experience with them, or knows for sure if the California is one way or the other. If I can simply purchase another set of sensors for other wheels and swap back and forth as I please with being able to calibrate it myself, that would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance for the information.

2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I bought new rims and they simply moved my TPMS to the new rims. No issue at all.

3. ItalianStallionNJ

Mar 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Reilly
    That sounds like your original TPMS sensors went into your new wheels. I'm asking about having a completely new set of sensors in new wheels, and potentially swapping the wheels on the car a few times a year (without moving the sensors). So what I'm looking for is the car to recognize essentially any sensors compatible with a California, as was the case with my F430, but not my Grancabrio.

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Sorry did understand you where keeping the old rims.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, I think I can answer all your questions.

I imported new HRE wheels that were installed locally by my tuner (not the dealer) using new sensors I bought from my local dealer. My tuner only installed the sensors and did not do any "programming". My 2013 Cali30 then picked up the new sensors the first time I used the wheels on the car, without my having to do anything.

Furthermore, I later swapped back my old wheels with their original sensors on my car and the old sensors were immediately detected by my car and worked fine. After a few days, I swapped my new wheels back on the car and the car picked up the new sensors on my new wheels without any fuss.

I also spoke to the shop manager at my dealer and he told me the car should pick up new sensors (within a few minutes) after I drive off with them. All these sensors were "Ferrari-branded" TPMS sensors and the person I spoke to in the dealer parts department said they use the same sensors on Maseratis.

Jmci00 likes this.
  6. ItalianStallionNJ

Mar 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Reilly
    Thank you for the info! Just what I wanted to hear. Sounds like it will work seamlessly.