TPMS retrofit? | FerrariChat

TPMS retrofit?

Discussion in '360/430' started by psb1013, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I brought my '06 F430 Spider in for it's first service today (to fix some nagging issues since taking delivery a couple weeks ago), and much to my dismay, I found out that my car didn't come with TPMS sensors.

Can TPMS sensors (and corresponding modules) be retrofitted? Or would that be too cost prohibitive? Would aftermarket TPMS systems be better?

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Why in the world would you want TPMS? Many of us purposely bought pre-2008 cars specifically to avoid TPMS.

3. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    What's wrong with TPMS?

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, you didn't answer my question with why do you want TPMS but I guess I'll answer yours:

1) You shouldn't need TPMS to tell you that you should keep air pressure in your tires. It's basic automotive responsibility 101.

2) They are incredibly problematic. Sensors fail all the time, the stupid dash light is on, and everyone just assumes it's a malfunction anyway so why even bother?

3) They are a huge PITA to sort out. Tires have to be dismounted and remounted, meaning more chances for wheels to be scratched, etc. for no benefit at all.

You were lucky enough to get an F430 without TPMS and somehow the whole time you thought that it had TPMS and now you're "dismayed" that you car isn't equipped with something that has a high failure rate, should not be necessary to anyone who has a 3rd grader's semblance of responsibility, and increases the chances of your having a less enjoyable ownership experience with your car. I don't get it.

thorn and blackbolt22 like this.
  5. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Thanks for the informative, but somewhat salty, response. I had TPMS in all my previous cars and never had a problem. I just found it very convenient to monitor tire pressures without having to manually check them all the time, esp. while driving. This is my first Ferrari, so excuse me for not knowing about the high failure rate of TPMS on these cars.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It’s my 4th biggest character flaw. Working on it.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have only found one TPMS system that seems to work relatively well (in the new S class)and most of them are just really annoying. Especially when the temps change. I have a compressor in my garage and check my pressures at least once a week. Not that I want to get into this discussion on this thread but I sometimes play around with how much pressure I put in to see the changes in the cars. I am putting Pilot Sport 4s's on the 430 and since I have never had this tire on any car, I am sure I will be trying different pressures. My advise check your pressure once a week, you don't need a compressor like I have but I would suggest a decent tire inflator, and a good digital pressure reader.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I hate them. One went bad a few years ago. Tried an aftermarket. Didn't work. Had to go to dealer. Over $500 to replace the one and calibrate them!! BTW they go bad every 5 years or so.

I would disengage them if possible. If one goes down, then you get that annoying message on the dash non-stop. No way would I try to install them if they weren't standard. Just my .02.

Oh yeah, another one went bad recently so I replaced them all. Apparently my indie mechanic didn't get the memo on aftermarket units. Cost $1000 to replace and calibrate! I hate them!!!

sherpa23 likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you really must have TPMS don't fit factory items! you can pick up just the valves and sensors which work with a smart phone app via bluetooth these days and actually give you a notification to your phone if they start to fail.

Sadly the sensors where designed by the industry to deliberately require expensive replacement sensors. Cut one open and you'll discover they are only powered by a simple motherboard coincell battery, none other than a CR2032 ! The governments didn't mandate a screw flap on the back which would have meant a cheap $0.50c battery replacement, instead they are resin'd in so they are too much trouble to replace... pita pita pita...

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    All of these posts are correct but what I will never understand is who owns a Ferrari but can't even care enough to check the tire pressure every few weeks. I mean, it's a freaking Ferrari for heaven's sake. If you can't bother to do something as simple as that, what other things can't an owner bother to do? These are special cars; not old pairs of sneakers that you throw in a closet and forget about until the next time you need to put them on..

11. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Please reference this thread...https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-tpms-433-mhz-vs-315-mhz.347945/#post-145860825

ALL F430's have a TPMS that is ultra specific depending on the ASSEMBLY number of the car.

Quoted from said previous thread: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that with Ferrari TMPS, the part number is almost as important, if not more, than anything else. Granted MHz play a key factor but sizes and functionality vary depending on the FERRARI part number. You can have two TPMS that are both 433MHz but if the Ferrari part numbers aren't the same, inevitably, you'll run into fitment/compatibility issues.

12. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Gentlemen,
    When I inspected my F430 for purchase the TPMS light was illuminated...I installed Denso 550-1911 No driving needed the calibration was completed standing still.
    I can monitor each tire pressure with accuracy through the mode switch.....
    Heck I even have it on my motorcycle....with only two wheels and high speeds its a peace of mind.
    TPMS is a safety concept and vehicles that are capable of speeds like ours its a must....just my two cents.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Dismay?

Here's a problem with TPMS: when the light comes on, what does it mean? Bad tire pressure, right? Nope. Could also mean the sensor is faulty and reporting in error.

They also add extra hassle in balancing and mounting. More maintenance costs in the part and electronics. All to add a light on the dashboard to tell you tires need air in them.

If people would just check their tires once a month like responsible adult drivers they wouldn't have been mandatory in the first place. So just check your tire pressure.