TPMS Sensors Gone Kaput | FerrariChat

TPMS Sensors Gone Kaput

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Gents,
    Now that I've replaced all four tires from harsh Pirelli PZeros to fantastic MPSS and also installed amazing Carbonio CF extended paddle shifters, a new problem has cropped up - the TPMS 'not calibrated' indicator light is now constantly blaring on my TFT display.

The Ferrari dealership checked all sensors' batteries' lives and are all reading low, one @ 10% remaining. Unfortunately each battery/sensor is an integral, inseparable device so replacement of all four will cost a quoted $1,250! Does anyone have any suggestion(s) for source or experience in replacing TPMS sensors that have gone haywire at a lower cost?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    Hi,

You can find OEM (e.g. HUF) TPMS sensors on Ebay for a fraction of the price you mentioned.
    I have bought a set 2 years ago, got them installed and they work without any problems.

Andreas

Makuono likes this.
  3. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Check Oro tek sensors. We have been using these on our 430's with zero issues. Can buy 4 for less than $100. They come alive immediately.

4. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I bought HUF (like the originals) for about 220 Euro from my tyre dealer.

Daniel

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Do the new sensors need any coding to the car, or does the car just pick up the new signal once they’re installed?

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
  8. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Danke schön, Andreas. Mit freundlich Grüßen.

Thanks to the others as well. I've checked eBay pricing for HUF sensors which run about $328 for a set of 4, which seems to be a higher price than what Daniel bought for 200EU. However, I'm also checking with my local and reliable tire supplier to find the HUF brand and likewise check with their supplier whether there is another OEM brand (Denso from Japan?) that's equally approved by Ferrari. My tire supplier Big Brand Tire in Camarillo replaced all four of my Pirelli PZero's with MPSS two weeks ago without even a minute scratch on the wheel rims.

All in all given all of your very kind pieces of advice, I'll save a tremendous amount of cost especially if the effect and fix are the same as that from a Ferrari dealer. No one wisely wants their Ferrari investment to become a "huge hole in the garage that one throws money into", right?

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Cant go wrong with the Eon ones that i bought for $153 mentioned above. Matched right up and cant beat the price.

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thought I would add to the list of viable aftermarket sensors by saying that I just installed 4 new Autel MX sensors which work great. These come very highly recommended in terms of reliability and longevity, and are under £20 each. They are fully programmable sensors and come blank, so to make them work you need a programmer tool- this was a further £40. Seems a handy thing to have for other cars I have though. You can basically program these sensors to replicate any type of TPMS including cloning the ID of your existing sensors. This isn’t really an issue for 599/612 as the car self learns through driving, but by cloning the ID from your existing sensors, you don’t need to do any learning or activation process. Just make sure if you do this that the old sensors aren’t close to the car (like on your work bench next to the car- as me how I know) as the car will start to pick up both sensors.

You can get the ID of your existing sensors using the live data function on a diagnostic tool, or just use the TPMS programmer held up next to the tyre to scan the old one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

599_GTO, Rex71, Makuono and 1 other person like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice that they work for the older 315 MHz and the 433.9 MHz systems.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    They say they cover 98% of the market.

As an aside, the date code on the two remaining OEM sensors that I removed showed them as 2011 and 2012 sensors. Definitely got my money's worth out of those ones then given the battery life is meant to be around 5 years!

Makuono likes this.
  13. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Robin, this is a great find. Thanks for sharing.

On my 612, the TFT displays the tire pressure as well as the temperature. Do you know if these sensors can also measure the temperature (your dashboard is showing the pressure only)?

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hi Ricardo,
    All of these sensors can measure temperature and pressure. You can see this in the live data monitoring, but unfortunately I'm not aware of how you can display this on the dash.

Makuono likes this.
  15. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi Robin,

On later 612s, the tire display menu shows the pressure and temperature. So, I guess your sensors will be compatible with my car as well. Great!

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ah, brilliant! Hadn't realised the later cars have this in the dash.

Makuono likes this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Same on the 599

I just ordered them from TireRack when I ordered my new tires. They are relatively inexpensive and they work perfectly. NOTE: you have to get the old ones out and move them away from the car or you won't be able to program the new ones because it will detect the old ones.

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #18 brogenville, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Yup. My kids had fun with some hammers making sure the old ones wouldn’t confuse the new ones.

Only other point to note is to make sure you get the ones with the metal valve. (They also do ones with a rubber valve.)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Skidkid likes this.
  19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What am I missing here? TPMs from Eurospares are relatively inexpensive, so why mess around with something that MIGHT work? If it was an upgrade I would understand, but this doesn't seem to make sense to me.

flash32 likes this.