TR 1100 miles in 12 years. Purchaser problems? | FerrariChat

TR 1100 miles in 12 years. Purchaser problems?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Len Howell, Sep 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    First, may I into myself as a returning member after a long absence from Ferrari ownership.
    Although a fond admirer having owned many V12's, its time to re-enter the Ferrari fold. Would appreciate the combined wisdom and time of members prior to finalizing purchase of a well priced 1991 TR with 10,000 miles driven about 1100 m in the last 12 years, I have some significant concerns that no major work as been done since the last major service back then. Although owner claims all is great, no leaks, runs fine. As a long distance purchase I will certainly do a PPI, but what should I anticipate? How much value does 10k mileage add as opposed to 30K, - 40k; is it worth a 20% premium, say $150,000 in todays market? How do Black TR's compare in value to Red ones being only about 10% of total production? Will not doubt need further assistance from here as a Retiree with (some) mechanical abilities I intend to wrench as much as I am reasonably competent to do.
    Thanks in advance.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Get someone to look it over ..how it was stored (rust etc) and then calculate about 30 35 k to sort it out ..if the price is appropriate and it checks the other boxes (cosmetically) then go for it

Black vs red ....market seems to bounce back and forth on that .. get the color you like ..not much difference in resale or least enough to make you decide to get one vs the other

I had to have red 10 years ago and now black and also white appeal to me

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Willdief and xplodee like this.
  3. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    @flash32 Thanks. They say all Bentley and Rolls buyers start with Black, Ferrari I don’t know, but it would appear Red.
    When you say $30-35k I assume you are anticipating full service, seals, belts, hoses, other surprises, not because of mileage, but deterioration from sitting?

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    my 2 Cents....Find the right PPi inspector ( No Novices ), including a paint inspection and metering..$500.00 inspector is just a starting point.
    records will help!
    I have always said...As much of an asset a 512 testarossa can be...It can also be twice that in a liability...

and lastly if you cant decide between black or red...get both Image Unavailable, Please Login

Willdief, jjmalez and turbo-joe like this.
  5. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    @msdesignltd Get both? Maybe an Enzo?
    I am feelin damn lucky to get one. But not keen on spending enough on it to pay for two. Now I am pricing out 599’s.
    Yes, read the forums. But some reliability is valuable, perhaps more than 6 speed character.

msdesignltd likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Correct

Service that should have been done at 7 year regardless of mileage .. the rest are leaks, surprises and while i am in there ..maybe even stickies

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nothing in a 91 to get sticky.

jjmalez and blkdiablo33 like this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    In my head I was picturing the 512tr ..my bad

9. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    @flash32 just to clarify a major service was done back in 2009 at 9k. Service records show all was good back then. If a TR is so much trouble why not just buy a 550 or 599? Any price differential is an engine out service on the TR. However I must admit the TR has the lead in styling if exotic flair is desired. I am struggling here with any perceived price saving over a 599.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    With that logic - consider a vette. Its just a car.

The TR is magic.

Martyt, V4NG0, Rifledriver and 2 others like this.
  11. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    I did, had numerous. However I am unsure of your logic, it would imply that 599 owners made the wrong choice and perhaps should have purchased a Vette.

12. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell

13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Len, you are comparing two very different automobiles and two very, very different driving experiences: a front-engine V-12 and a rear/mid-engine flat 12. The engines will yield different performances and the handling of each will be dramatically different. Try to drive both before making a decision, as you'll be spending a lot of money, but you'll also be making a critical decision as far as enjoyable driving is concerned.

just my 2c

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    After 25 yrs of ownership…. she never failed to sing a sweet song. Always eager. Always giving. Always exciting..

Sadly, it is I who grew old.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are trying to apply logic to buying an exotic car. I don't think it possible. I have driven all those cars a lot. They are all great cars but it seems none of them speak to you. If that is the case keep looking. If not, buy the one that does.

xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Len

Are you aware that a major is required somewhere between 4 and 7 years depending on who who ask and risk level ...this is time based only

A major without any extras will cost 8 to 12 depending where you go.. it is something you should factor in for ownership

17. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    @msdesignltd Thank you. Sound advice. Having owned hundreds of cars in my 60 something years I have been able to slowly move up the food chain of affordability. My preference is now V12’s simply because they are music to my ears and a symphony to drive. Yes, they come in many forms of driving experience but I have found that unfortunately I cannot truly know my appreciation without having the car for a few weeks or longer. Having read the opinions of many Ferrari Owners that have experienced or own TR, 550, 575, 599 their choices are immensely helpful. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the TR wins this one hands down IMHO. But I thought Jag XKE’s were spectacular but eventually a Jag V12 will simply drive you to a divorce no matter how beautiful she is or how well she sings. Stories on the TR start to sound reminiscent of these experiences. Sure, as @vincenzo would imply, I will still marry the pretty young Italian, but can I get a prenuptial?

18. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought a very similar car in regard to mileage and lack of driving. Here’s what I noticed:

• Brakes locked up
    • Clutch worn unevenly
    • Throw out bearing dry and shot
    • Timing belt tensioner bearings dry and worn
    • Timing belts questionable (in my case looked brand new after 8 years but I wouldn’t trust it)
    Basically anything where seals can dry up or hydraulics can seize. All are safety hazards or could destroy your vehicle quickly so they need to be checked thoroughly

Hope that helps

Parnelli likes this.
  19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ah, You and I Think alike!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    At later in life, buy with your heart! Nobody gets out of this world alive.

21. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    @msdesignltd Love it, what a combo. But you had the common sense to stick with a 4.2 Six Series 1?, not the V12. With E-types like yours pulling similar prices to TR’s it’s an interesting market. But I have made the commitment to go for an Italian. Decided to keep the Blk MB SL 65. Never a problem, Renntech makes it a Beast, but a grand touring class for sure. To have too many mistresses I may face real alimony.

22. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    As did Sophia. As do we all.

So Len should get what he really wants, the TR, spend $20-30k to sort it and enjoy.

23. Len Howell

Len Howell Rookie

Apr 2, 2020
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Len Howell
    Sound advice my friends. Well said all.
    I am going to pursue with $30k margin after any obvious indicated by PPI.
    You have really put it in the best context that it’s not a rationale decision, but one of the heart. As @Rifledriver stated “seems none of them speak to you. If that is the case keep looking”.
    What a pleasure it is to have fellow enthusiasts and a wealth of experience available. I shall return for advice on how to perform my engine drop and major service. . OK, maybe hood struts. Many thanks. Len

24. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis