TR air cond expansion valve - any hints? | FerrariChat

TR air cond expansion valve - any hints?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PSP, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    My A/C died a while back - the dealer told me he thought the expansion valve was clogged with stuff, maybe from the dryer. Is there a quick and easy way to get to the expansion valve without taking half of the inside of the car apart? Once it is apart, is this something I can clean out or will it need to be replaced? Change the dryer also?

Is there any way to remove the hoses and blow air or something the opposite way of the normal flow to remove anything in the system? (As you can tell, I'm not looking forward to taking the insides apart).

Is the expansion valve a Ferrari only part or a standard A/C part? (same for dryer)

TIA

2. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    My expansion valve was replaced with a Ferrari part. The dryer was replaced with a generic. Yes, you do have to rip the dash apart. I paid someone to do it 'cause the entire system was filled with junk and nearly every fitting was opened and all the hoses flushed (air won't work 'cause the system has oil in it for lubricating the compressor).

My total bill to R&R the a/c came to $1182.58 + sales tax. Of that, $370.55 was for parts (the expansion valve was $141.55, the dryer was $100.00). For $1200, is it really worth trying to do it yourself? Not to mention that I got a guarantee against leaks for 1 year.

Regards-
    Steve

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    You could try the cheaper option first of having the system flushed, hoping that the blockage in the expansion valve could be cleared - then with a new drier bottle and a re-gas the system could be up and running.

However from experience I feel that you will end up "biting the bullet" and replacing the expansion valve.

MW