Tr clutch balance question | FerrariChat

Tr clutch balance question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ang308, Feb 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Unfortunately when I took apart motor from gear box I didn’t even think of taking photos or looking how the clutch was lined up. So now I have 2 clutch plates with the “H” and the pressure plate has the “h”. So how do I line them up. I know the plates are 180 to each other but what about the pressure plate in relation to the clutch discs. I’ve searched and really haven’t found an answer

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the 2 clutch plates in relation to the pressure plates? that makes no difference because as soon as you push the clutch pedal the pressure plate "opens", the flywhhel turns and the clutch paltes stop.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe the middle floating plate has a need to be correctly indexed. And also the disc do not rotate on the spline, so above is not completely true.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #4 turbo-joe, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    what you mean under: spline? the clutch shaft no. 12? the disks of course are not rotating on, but with this shaft. and I not have written here somewhere others :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

the pressure plate ( no 1 ) and the intprrnediate ring ( no 8 ) are balanced together. only when you let the clutch redone also the flywheel then is balanced together with no 1, 7 and 8
    the spacer ring ( no 7 ) itself is balanced and it does not matter in which of the 3 positions you may install this ring.

that is correct because it is balanced together with the pressure plate.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The only indexing marks on the pressure plate/spacer ring/floater plate are a large bright paint mark, usually orange or green. There are no letters or lines made by the manufacturer for that purpose.

There is no disc to pressure plate alignment.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is not correct. All 3 pieces are indexed to each other because they are balanced as a unit. No one part is balanced on its own. The paint mark will be in the area indicated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Thank you. I have the green mark that’s lined up the floater plate to flywheel and pressure plate. It’s just that the pressure plate had an “h” on it as well. Thanks again for your help

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    of course I did not as many clutches like you brian but those marks I have ony seen on no 1 and no 8, never on no 7.
    but I ask then myself why you can order no 7 separately? no. 1 and no 8 are balanced together and also marked