TR engine out for oil leak....2nd time !! | FerrariChat

TR engine out for oil leak....2nd time !!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As many know I did a full service on my TR last fall, including replacing the crankshaft front seal as it was leaking. Well after 4k miles of fun it started leaking again....much to my heartache. So after weeks of procrastination I pulled the motor out again last night...just thought I'd share some pics for all those who are interested.

2. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Wow Carguy!!! you must be an expert at this. how long did it take you to remove the motor?

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is awesome!

Did you find out why it was leaking?

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank You billh and slag_328GTS !! I didn't want to become good at pulling the motor out of my TR....but I guess the car had other ideas. I know the oil leak is in the area of the crankshaft main seal in the front of the motor. Tonight I'll pull off the belt covers and take a closer look. I'll try and post more pics if anyone's interested.

As far as how long to pull the motor, it depends. I've been procrastinating for weeks, only working a few minutes at a time. But if I set my mind to it I think I could pull the motor out in about a day working like gangbusters, by myself, with no power tools. This is my second time around, and I'm sure my next time will be easier yet. But I really don't want to make a habit of this. TRs are pretty cool for motor drops, well thought out system.