TR Prices are rising!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR Prices are rising!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarossa717, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    The car is sold (not to me) in case anyone is wondering. $58K.

Lowest price I've ever heard of for a 512 TR. Not sure if it was a "story" car or not.

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    No, just saying that aside from the rarity there is every bit as much car against car value here for either one versus the other.

3. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Better make that "2" flame suits James, as I find the Testarossa a better looking car "in my opinion", also a better performance car....I do wish that a Testarossa did come with 6 2barrel Webers though!!!....Mark

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I am just glad they are going up!!! I think the TR has long been ignored and now people are seeing it as a true "collector" car. I hope to see it run the table in 10-20 years and bring the kinda numbers a 1957 Testa Rossa brings. Wouldn't that be nice!!!!

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I seriously doubt a perfectly good 512TR is going to pass the sniff test and sell for only 58k as previously mentioned.

They either didn't know the difference between a TR and a 512TR or it has crash history, Salvage or Rebuilt, re: the missing badges................repaint.

It may have had drive train issues as well.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    IMHO, I think the TR without a computer is one of the last Ferraris that can be repaired and maintained by an owner and mechanic.

Ago

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mmmmm... no. The 308 was that.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have to disagree. Although a little more complicated, the TR can be maintained by the owner just as easily as a 308QV or 328. It runs the same Bosch CIS injection, non-EFI.
    The TR does NOT have a computer, in the sense of a central onboard ECU like the 512TR (or an OBD1 car of any make).
    There are no codes to pull so you have to resort to old-fashioned diagnostics just like on the 308's and 328's.
    The TR DOES have two ECU's for engine management but that is as far as it goes.

9. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Twice the pain for twice the gain????
    :D

P

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You don't need an engine out service in a 308. It's virtually impossible for the average guy to do that in his garage with a TR.

On a 308, you can do just about everything in maintenance with the car on jack stands.

It's the 308. Sorry.

11. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Spasso; you have to forgive "dbelp"....with OVER 24,000!!!!! posts in just "4" short years, he can't be right every time.....Mark

12. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I'm coming up for my third Testarossa engine removal this winter in my "English" garage. Read SMALL garage. In many ways the Testarossa is easier than the 30x cars to maintain IMO :) Especially when it comes to changing plugs :D

P

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah.... well, as a guy who owned a shop that specialized in Italian cars for over 10 years, I know a little bit about what the average guy can and can't do on his own.

And, I had a lot of backyard mechanics as customers who would maintain their 308's on their own -- but I had no TR owners.

I'm just reporting the truth. That's not a slap at the TR. It's just the way it is.

Can we get back to the point of TR prices rising?

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We're talking about the average owner. Do you consider yourself average?

15. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WOW!!!!...you must seriously underestimate the abilities & ingenuities of the countless Testarossa owners that do complete engine out services in their garages & workshops....maybe your mechanical abilities/knowledge is "limited", but what you deem as being impossible...other Testarossa owners view as quite doable & have done as such, myself included. You first started your defense of the 308 by saying it was because it was the "last" Ferrari made without a computer, which proved to be WRONG!!!...then your next defense of the 308 was because the Testarossa was in your words "impossible" for the average guy to do a engine out service, which once again is WRONG!!!....I wonder what your next defense/claim for the 308 over the Testarossa will be?!.....Mark

16. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In defense of Phil....his 3rd grade teacher did describe his Latin comprehension as "average".....Sorry Phil, for having to point this out....my apologies....Mark

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #42 Scaledetails, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have owned both a TR and now a BB512i. The styling of the Boxer will always result in higher value over the TR along with the lower numbers of the Boxer.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've owned a 328, TR and my current BB512i. And, in my experience, other than an engine-out service, the TR and Boxer are both easier to maintain than the 328. You just have more room to do what needs to be done. The sound and power of the V-12 make it worth that little bit of extra work every 7-10 years.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #45 TheMayor, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
    Thank you for confirming what I've been saying.

Here's what I do not understand about Fchat. Someone says something pretty obvious and he gets jumped on by 20 people. And, the fact that some posters here are above average in their abilities (which is terrific) does not mean they should assume everyone else is just like them. That's all I was responding to.

If you go down to the 355 section, you will see guys pull the 355 motor from their cars and do their own service. Does this mean the 355 is the last car? It's a silly argument. Should they be insulted that someone suggests the TR is the last?

"Can't we all get along?"

Can we get back to the thread now?

21. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Is the TR model kit available?

22. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It is not a V-12.

23. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was waiting for this :)

Of course, it's not a Boxer engine either, despite what Ferrari may say.

As we all now, its a "Flat 12" Essentially a REALLY wide V12.

However, I digress... Did somebody really say that the Boxer is better looking than the Testarossa? Are you out of your mind!!!! :D

1000 years from now, if an archeologist uncovers a Testarossa, he will swear it is deity and a new religion will be formed.

The testarossa is the period at the end of the Ferrari sentence.

All Ferraris are equal, but Testarossas are more equal than others.

Boxer Shmoxer ...................Can I get a witness?

Oh, and don't bother arguing with me. I am wrapped head to toe in Flame Retardant and rubber..

Basically, any flames you throw will bounce off me and stick to you

:p

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wrong! The TR and Boxer models both have 180 degree V-12 engines. They do not have "Boxer" engines.

25. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Now that is just provocative :D

And I like it! It keeps us on our toes...

Oh and by the way, it IS a V-12!

Read the manual :D

I wonder how long this thread will go for this time?

P