TR Prices are rising!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

TR Prices are rising!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarossa717, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #51 JoeZaff, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

:)

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    So, then - the Porsche 911 is a V6?

3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    By our accounts definitely a V6 :D

Just a very flat one......

P

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    THE TESTAROSSA ENGINE AND THE PORSCHE 911 ENGINES ARE FLAT ENGINES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_engine

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flat%20engine

Neither of these are true Boxer engines incidentally because their pistons don't move simultaneously in and out. Rather, they move in the same manner as a traditional V engine--- So you can also think of them as V engines with the banks at 180 degrees.

However, by definition they are FLAT engines

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME WITH THIS. ;)

5. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I swear I heard you say the exact same thing about the Mondial a while back :D

Now the 308, there's a good looking car.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    V engines have matching cylinder pairs from each bank mounted to the same pin on the crankshaft. This means that first one cylinder hits top dead center, then the next.

Boxer engines have the connecting rods connect to separate pins on the crank, so that the pairs of cylinders are always moving in opposite directions (they both move out together, then back in).

Technically "flat" refers to the engine's layout and not operation, so you could say a 180 degree V-8 or V-12 is a "flat 8" or "flat 12", but most people understand "flat" to mean "horizontally opposed boxer engine" since there are very few 180 degree V engines, so it's probably better to specify to avoid confusion.

The TR and Boxer both have 180 degree V-12, not boxer engines. While often advertised to have a "flat 12" engine, but while that is the layout, they are technically 180 degree V-12, not a boxer. The TR and Boxer owners manual also refer to the engines as 180 degree V-12s.

7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Haha...I adore the Mondial, always will. But Ferrari should have just packed it in after the Testarossa :D

I mean, really, where do you go from there?

Ever since the Testarossa its been Ferrari surf boards and amusement parks ;)

:D :D

BTW--My flame suit is still on :p

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Actually, the original air-cooled 911 had individual crank throws for the pistons, so it really was a boxer. Seven main bearings.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sorry to be confusing, I was only referring to modern 911's

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Oh there is so much more to go Joe :D

P

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Sorry - did I get us off topic?

Are V-12 Testarossas worth more than flat 12 Testarossas?

12. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Which ever "1" is worth MORE!!!....that is the "1" I OWN!!!....I had a Ford with a 170 CI 6 cylinder....had 7 main bearings....didn't realize till now it was a V6.....Mark

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The original statement was, "IMHO, I think the TR without a computer is one of the last Ferraris that can be repaired and maintained by an owner and mechanic".

Based on THAT statement a TR IS one of that last that can maintained or repaired by the owner BECAUSE it doesn't have a COMPUTER.

Nothing was said about engine in, engine out.

With that said, I agree that the 308 IS easier than a TR for the reasons you state above..

14. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Spasso; You have to consider the source of the post...that "guy" does more waffling than a Grand Slam Breakfest at Denny's, & will NEVER admit to being wrong......Mark

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    With that said, I agree that the 308 IS easier than a TR for the reasons you state above..[/QUOTE]

Come on!!! What about the digiplex ignition computers in the 308?

Do I have a Boxer 8 in my 308 and a V12 in my 512TR?

Which is easier to work on, the digiplex units or the Motronic 2.7?

I''m just so confused. :)

16. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    And you will?

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Joe - you sure are passionate about the TR but you have so much to learn about this section...

Odds are there will be at least three more threads started about values of the TR climbing/falling, lack of rear tires, what is the right replacement door seal and at least one more differential thread started before the weekend ends. Either that or we will have another timing belt thread followed by a heated debate about whether or not the TR is a supercar.

ROOKIE! :D

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #68 JoeZaff, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL! I'm learning...slowly ;)

I understand the need for threads that troubleshoot and others that address known weaknesses. Heck, the work that Philwozza and Newman have done is invaluable. However, as a guy coming in from the Mondial brotherhood, this place can be downright depressing :)

You rarely see a good thread on wonderful road trips or great experiences with the testarossa.

As the new guy, let me say, you testarossa folks spend way too much time waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The TR is, IMHO, without a doubt the most spectacular regular production car to ever leave Maranello. It's like owning the Mona Lisa and *****ing because the paint is cracking.

It's been almost 9 months since I got my TR, and I still can't stop saying "Holy Crap, I have a Testarossa!"

I've got extra kool aid if any of you folks are running low ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Right after I bought it I said, " HOLY CRAP...I HAVE A TESTAROSSA".

Right after Robert Hayden's differential puked at 10 kph on a straight road I said,
    " HOLY CRAP...I HAVE A TESTAROSSA".

It's all relative, and you know how we feel about relatives.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #70 Spasso, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    What about them? I have two engine ECU's to your one. So what.

Yours is a V8 with a flat crank..
    The TR has a FLAT cylinder configuration but uses a crankshaft from a V-12 engine thus the classification as a 180 degree V-12.

I don't know anybody that "works on" Digiplex units. Usually they are REPLACED.
    The Motronic system is more complicated because it is used in conjunction with OBD1 or II, you will need a computer to read the OBD codes just to find out what is wrong with your car.

A REGULAR TR HAS NO CODES, NO MOTRONIC AND NO COMPUTER.

Self induced.;)

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    This says it all - great post !

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    After 12 yrs of TR ownership - i think i can comment on a few things more than most based on my experience....not sure how many owners are past the 10 yr mark....but those that are, will understand well (i think)

1) Im tired of these threads of price...from where i bought too now, it doesnt matter
    2) You better LOVE this car...cause if you dont, getting a divorce is easier than being a TR owner
    3) Its the most reliable 12 banger around in the price range
    4) Not to old of a car to be outdated on the road - power,or looks wise
    5) Icon impact on the world market when announced...will be in automotive history
    6) You cant have mine for 50 grand,or 70 grand cause you wont understand how ive mantained this car , so you cant have it at the bottom feeder price
    7) GO FIND YOUR OWN
    8) How about i just keep it
    9) Poor me, im stuck with a TR that i cant sell for 100k
    10) Boxer owners are jealous becaue the TR doesn't look like a 308 on steriods ;)

Hopefully, the really abused cars get cut up for parts for the rest of us...the decent drivers stay with enthusisants who have to spend $$$$ to keep them driving...and i will be the first to say ...getting a Testarossa to 61,000kms, (40,000 Miles) in 23-27 yrs takes LOTS and LOTS of Money....for those that do, enjoy the ride....you earned it and paid for it.

For those that have the museum piece in bubble wrap, please keep the car just like that...and dont keep it in the sun please...i will be around soon enough to buy it to replace the one i am enjoying right now with many miles ;)

23. Red Head Seeker

BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    YES!!!!...& I have MANY TIMES!!!....to belabour & stand upon a false position & statement is the mark of an ignorant person, I would rather admit wrong or guilt, as for myself that is a sign of charactor...to prove my point, here is a thread I STARTED to apologize for my actions at Infineon Raceway...have you EVER SEEN a person START a thread on FerrariChat to APOLOGIZE!!!!...link to thread.....Mark

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322420

24. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was teasing!!! I know what the cars have. I was simply laughing at the comment that "no new ferraris have computers."

The V8 vs V12 was also in similar vane.

BTW...the 512tr is not obd II....and I actually find the systems easier to work on than the old Bosch CIS/Multiplex. Error codes can pinpoint where the errors occur, not lead you down the guess work road.

25. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim