TR Prices are rising!!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

TR Prices are rising!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarossa717, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Joe, I get a fresh cup of Kool Aid every time I drive my TR.

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #77 Mr.Chairman, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Greetings all.. hope all is well.. My opinion, the TR prices are rising which is good for all of us TR owners. Especially me because I have mine up for sale.. or I should say was up for sale. The ad in this forum expired yesterday and the two parties that were seriously interested pulled away because their cars that they needed to sell fell thru as well.. Pricing for the well maintained will always be at a premium.. Some TR owners are dilusional when it comes to describing their car.. I've seen so many neglected cars over the years.. So many never driven.. Many dont even use water to wash their car.. Saving it for the next buyer with a pluther of issues from sitting.. Values had to rise.. they were getting too low in the past five years and if your connected to you car it was almost a sin what was going on with prices.. So yes.. Viva la Testarossa... The Testarossa is iconic and is starting to demand attention. The TR is annoyed and its tired of being looked down upon.. She will rise my fellow TR brothers.. She will rise high above.. The cream always rises to the top. The Testarossa is the cream on my generation, being shell shocked when seeing the Testarossa back in the late 80's.. Dreaming of ownership, hoping to fulfill the dream of ownership.. We are lucky my brothers, many of us newbe's got in when the time was right.. Lets just say I am thankful for being a part of the drop and even more thankful for the rise.. There are a small group of us... TR owners that are passionate about the car, passionate enough to check up on this forum daily to help another TR brother out, start a fight..lol, and voice their opinions on certain topics.. We know who we are... for the rest of you out their letting their TR rott.. for Pete's sake..

1. Maintain your TR
    2. Drive her more.. Nothing like driving the car when you know every person or place you pass, stops dead in their tracks, heads turning.. and then the grin from the driver... Ita a rush..
    3. Sort the car.. Fuse Box Upgrade (Dave Helms - Scuderia Rampante), Gold connector kit, (Dave Helms Scuderia Rampante), Hoses, etc...
    4. Repeat step 2.
    5. Repeats step 4 which reverts you to step 2.
    6. Of course.. repeats step 5 which leads you to step 4 which in turn brings you back to step 2..

Remember.. Our cars have a heartbeat.. the newer Ferrari's have electronics.. Forget the 458.. although she is mighty beautiful and state of the art.. you want no guts no glory.. Get an F40..

R

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Given the above statements... would it not be correct to say that a 308 is a Boxer on Estrogen ? :)

Cheers,

Sam

5. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Amen

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Half the price twice as good ;)

Dont know about twice as good but twice as sexy for sure.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Like the 348 looks like a TR on Estrogen.

8. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Well, well, well, the prodigal son returns( -post 77-LOL Robbie)

Appreciate all the responses to my thread. I was wondering if anyone read the old thread that I posted from 2005 .....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78361

about a small group of F-Chatters who colluded to bring the Boxer prices higher.

Please read the posts from that link and let me know what you think. I am curious to know if any of you thought it was morally right.

The TR is an Icon.:)

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #84 Spasso, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    I remember the thread well and the participating Boxer owners MAY have had some affect on the rising market but I feel not as much as perceived.
    I was shopping for another Ferrari to replace my 308 at the time and remember the prices on ALL models (except 308's and Mondials) rising.

Morals?
    If all TR owners feel that TR's are worth 100k and none will sell for less, is it really morally wrong? (rhetorical question).
    If it's done for pure profit then maybe so.
    In the realm of the stock market, pumping and dumping a stock is based purely on greed.

I am guessing that if an attempt was made to prop up the market on TR's you wouldn't see any sales.
    Simply put, they aren't as rare or as desirable as a Boxer.
    It just wouldn't work. Not with the prices on 355's and 360's diving like they are.

Taken from Post #5 on the Boxer thread,
    Replace the word Boxer with TR.
    "Economics 101
    You can't change a "market" by raising prices. Markets are determined by supply and demand. The late 80's run was caused by increased demand and limited supply, NOT by a few dealers raising prices. That happened after the market showed it could bear higher selling numbers. The reason demand increased was (IMHO) linked to a sinking economy, which makes "collectables" more valuable. Morgan silver dollars also sold for many times their current prices.

If all you Boxer guys ask too much money, you won't sell them. Potential buyers have a value they are willing to pay, and they will buy something else if the Boxers are too much in their opinion. They won't just pay up beyond what the "market" is if it gets beyond a certain level.

With Daytonas starting to take off, demand for Boxers *may* ride the coat tails and thus prices may indeed go up soon. Again, this is demand talking, not a bunch of guys asking more money. It's more guys coming out of the woodwork asking if you want to sell your car.

Ken "

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

11. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Always loved the 308 but too slow for me. The 288 GTO to me is beautiful and has the HP to back it up. One of my all time favorite cars!!!

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am so glad that this has stayed right on the original topic.

13. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I dare not look at present prices, Lynda will be able to wangle a world cruise and I will be without car :(

P :D

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Outsider lookin in.

For those of you NOT selling ......

Why do you give a crap about prices?

I couldn't care less if my 308 went to $.10 cents on the pound or the TR or any other Ferrari went for scrap wood chip prices.

I really do not understand .........

15. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I read through the old thread and I have been thinking about all this for the weekend. Here's my take on this:
    If the people that own these cars won't put a high value on the car, then who will? Aside from Fcars I also collect coins - buy,sell,auction etc. Price is driven by rarity. What is rarity? Rarity is population (number of examples known), and condition of the coin. The less population and the higher the condition the greater the price. One thing the coin market has done which I would love to see happen with Ferrari is they have a certified program. Not like the insane "Classiche" program but a method of cataloging ALL known examples of a particular model. If you could know how many models were REALLY in existence with all all the variations of style and color, then you would have more of a scientific approach to establish a basis for price. Right now everyone is just guessing and hoping. If you know the population base including model variations and you know the condition, you will know how desirable your car really is.
    As for the "morality" issue, I feel any car is an emotional experience. If you can get a large group of people together that are sharing the same feelings on a particular model of car and they strongly feel the car is under valued, then push the price point as much as you can.
    I only wish I could convince the entire 308 group this!

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think what people are losing sight of is that value is determined by what somebody will pay, not what it would take for you to sell. I can say it would take $80k for somebody to buy my car, but that doesn't make it worth $80k if nobody will pay it...The problem with trying to pump up the value of any single model Ferrari is if you don't also pump up the value of the other models, it doesn't do anything. Even if you get everyone who is currently selling a Testarossa to raise their asking price by $20k, the buyers will just get a 355, 360 or 550 or any of the many other models out there that be in that price range. I would have preferred a 512TR to my 355, but couldn't justify $20k more for the same performance so I bought a 355, you will run into the exact same problem if you try to pump up the asking prices for a TR.

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If it makes everyone feel better...I was offered over 70K for my single mirror Testarossa shortly after completing the major a few months ago. I obviously declined the offer as I couldn't duplicate my car for that price.

I'm just saying, the demand still far outstrips the supply when it comes to really great TR's..and the sellers aren't selling.

Just my .02.

18. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Sell! ;)

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Any buy what? ;)

Don't fret Jay, I promise to start looking at buying another Mondial next year. It won't sell the TR for her, but I do that car... :(

20. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

It's true that "a rising tide lifts all boats"

21. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    In case you guys wonder...MY TR IS NOT FOR SALE!
    Now get out and drive!

22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    With a valuable stamp , coin, or other static collection you take it out and look at it. check the value and if it goes up your happy. I bought my TR because my passion is hi performance cars. I didn't buy it to attract attention or as a status symbol. When I drive it gives me pleasure, and I try to drive it on sparsely traveled roads. The car is different than a typical production car, where they modify a production car to increase performance. So I'm not too concerned about rising prices as others have also stated on here.

Ago

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Because everything in life has a value...life, stocks,homes and cars....and if your car is worth .10 cents as you say, it invites all the bottom feeders and negativity in the world. This is why owners care if there car price stays stable..as opposed to being worthless.

24. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    +1

25. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Thank you Big Red! And if this is who I think it is, you have some great cars!