TR Prices are rising!!! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

TR Prices are rising!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testarossa717, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Think Lambo.....Black with tan !!! :D

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #102 JoeZaff, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I almost bought this a few months prior to buying my Testarossa. One day she will be mine :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I said Black Joe!!!! Nice car thou!!! :)

4. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    The Testarossa will be turning 30 in 2014, any thoughts on the effect it might have on its value? I mean boat loads of cars saw their value go up around their big birthdays.

5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    If you are selling, I understand of course.

Again, If you are not selling, I still don't. The second the title is in your name, You are "in." It is worth something to YOU.

What happens to its supposed "external" value as voiced by others is irrelevant, at least to me.

6. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    #106 jimangle, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I agree, the Lambo is amazing, but we had one join one of our rides last year and while I was impressed, I found it too claustrophobic. The TR is really great in that respect, also for visibility

Check out Post #32
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345880&page=2

If I had the means to add another car, I think I would go with a 360 (or 458 Italia but I have yet to win the lottery)

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not to derail this thread to much, but I had the pleasure of driving a Countach last year. I love my Testarossa. It is a much easier car to own and live with than a Countach.

HOWEVER, the Countach was, hands down, the greatest automotive thrill of my life. I will own one day.

Here is the link to the thread I wrote shortly after my drive.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306870

9. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I found this in the 308 thread. Seems that now you CAN'T do just about everything with the 308 on stands.....Mark

Yesterday, 08:10 PM
    TheMayor
    Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Join Date: Feb 2008

Quote:
    Originally Posted by st@ven
    my 2cts

in the end all old ferrari's will rise but the gorgious 3x8 espacially!

I disagree with about every part of your post. The reason why rebuild costs are what they are for the engine is mainly parts costs, not labor. If parts costs were less in Europe, we'd just order them from there.

I know a lot of shops that will do the timing belt on a 308 for $1500 so I don't know where you are getting your information on the US situation. It's not that difficult if all you are doing is the belts. And, it's not a DYI thing to do in your garage with a few jack stands.

As to the Chinese wanting 308's someday, I really disagree here. They have very little love of classic cars because they have no history of classic cars. If that were the case, you'd see Enzo era cars heading on every ship to Shanghai today. There's plenty of money to buy them but little interest. They never saw "Magnum".

Will prices rise eventually? Probably. But only for good ones -- and those are getting harder to find everyday which is why they will rise. At some point, when you look at a car with 120K miles and it needs just about everything, the cost to bring it back is more than the car is worth. That's going to be a problem.

That isn't to say some wouldn't do it. That just means that few would want to instead of just buying one in good condition cheaper.

The 308 is a great starter Ferrari. Unfortunately, it's also a 30 year old starter Ferrari living in the 1980's with 1980's problems of rust, wear and tear, emission problems, poor maintenance from it's many owners, and creature comfort that is an acquired taste. That limits the market.

10. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I have to say that after checking the asking prices on Ebay, Dupont Registry, Hemmings, Autotrader etc., this is probably the highest I have seen TR prices since 2006. It's nice to see the pop. As to some who feel that talking about the value of their car has no merit, IMO, it's a thread that interests many otherwise it wouldn't have generated 110 posts so far. I am glad to see that the TR is finally getting the respect that it is richly entitled too.

Joe, I am in the market for a countach as well. It is a very thinly traded market. It takes time to find an excellent example. I started a garage restoration project that I have yet to finish. I hope to add the Countach within the next year.

My TR is not for sale but I love seeing the car get the respect that she deserves.:)

11. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C
    i have a Countach and a TR and in my opinion they should be valued equally. The TR is a much better car that the countach. Better build quality and more refined, but the Countach has the ultimate fan club hence the value.

My wife fails to believe that the Countach is worth so much more.

12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Anyone have the build numbers for the US...

1)single mirror TRs
    2)Double mirror TRS
    3)512 Tr

?????

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The only number I have heard is 719 single mirror TRs , I would assume that is world wide, but have never been able to confirm the actual number.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #114 Spasso, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Here is what I have found:

According to http://www.red-headed.com/index2.html, in 1985 there were 568 built and in 1986 819 built worldwide.

Mirrors
    The early Testarossas had a single, high mirror and a 'pin' button in the interior (so, only meant for one mirror). After a certain law regarding mirrors was changed in 1985, the Testarossas were fitted with double, low mirrors and a 'round' button in the interior.

The introduction of double low mirrors was at s/n 67487 for US versions and at s/n 67079 for Euro versions.

Production numbers,

Testarossa
    Production started: 1984.
    Production ended: 1991.
    Total production: 7,177, 438 RHD.
    First serial number: 52979(?).
    Last serial number: 91923.

512 TR
    Production started: 1991.
    Production ended: 1994.
    Total production: 2,280, 50 RHD (38 ABS).
    First serial number: 89100.
    Last serial number: 99743.

F512 M
    Production started: 1994.
    Production ended: 1994.
    Total production: 500, 41 RHD.
    First serial number: 99664(?) / 99744, 1/75.
    Last serial number: 99993(?) / 99774, 75/75.

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Single mirror were only around 1,400 units world wide ?

16. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    To better understand the price spread, it would be interesting, though challenging, to split TRs into single mirror, dual mirror until 88.5, then 88.5-91.

17. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I am in the same boat and totally agree. Compare the two and the Countach is a piece of junk compared to the TR. I have been using the Countach alot lately. I just pulled my TR out after months of inactivity. My first reaction was WOW, this is really a great car. Easy to drive, just as fast, I can see who is around me, Sounds sweeter (with the help of X-ost), better build quality etc. Countach does win in the stun factor. It is the most stunning piece of rolling art ever created! Love them both

18. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Glad to see the TR is finally getting more attention. I have always felt that eventually (within 5-10 years) the TR values would go up significantly. Many Ferrari's get mistaken for other cars, but nobody mistakes the TR for anything other than a Ferrari

19. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    TR's are fantastic cars...my recent acqusition of a carbed BB has only served to reinforce that for me.

the BB is a wonderful car...and the TR is exactly what we come to expect from Ferrari, an evolution of the car that preceeded it...in every way.

20. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I love it... +1

21. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    This is what I needed to hear from a Countach owner, and I must say I completely agree. Never owned a Lambo - and would really like to have a Diablo 6.0 to get it out of my system - but have been around a couple Countachs at auctions, shows. Visual stunner, but let down by build. TR is well laid out and nicely screwed together.

Side note: Having the 512TR exhaustively detailed today, for it is my 27th wedding anniversary, and something 'special' is required. The TR fills the bill!

22. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Congrats on 27 years my man.. Enjoy the day and evening..

R

23. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Well, when you're ready to sell the Countach, give me a ring!

24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Same here. It just makes me all giddy inside!!! Gotsta love the TR !!! :D

25. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Thanks for that Robbie. As planned, took the TR out last night, got a parking spot up front (pre arranged because I am SO clever :) ) .

When I emerge from the restaurant, no kidding there are 3 people just gawking at the car, all fans, from early 20's to maybe 40 ish, saying 'this is my favorite car ever'. To me, no question that the sheer presence of the TR and its long-standing broad sex appeal will aid their market popularity.