TR pricing | FerrariChat

TR pricing

Discussion in '308/328' started by blacktestarosa23, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blacktestarosa23

Sep 12, 2004
    what is an 88-90 with all the services under 20k miles worth?

2. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I'll start the bidding at $65,000.00. (He says, knowing that everyone else is just waiting for someone to stick their neck out and suggest a number that they can then ridicule)

Wes

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Doesn't it depend on if you're buying or selling? ;)

Seriously:

1. Are you talking about a US LHD version in the US market? (Your profile lacks location.)

2. 16" wheels or 415 mm? (and I'm assuming that you're not including single-lug '88s)

3. Black dash or brown?

4. Exterior color?

5. Last major service -- when and by whom?

If your answers are 1. yes, 2. 16", 3. black, 4. attractive, and 5. F Dealer just done, I think the ask would be about $69,999 at a dealer. If you're a seller and want to motivate a Broker to give you cash right now -- maybe $45~$50K.

PS Why aren't you including '91s? They are the same as '88.5 - '90

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think there might be a price difference in 88 vs. 88.5 - The change when they switched from one lug to 5 lug bolts.

That being said, a very clean under 20k miles, just had service done TR 88.5 - 90 would be worth anywhere from 60-75k, the high end being for an extremely clean 1990 super low mileage.

A nice 1988 single lug would be worth slightly less. Probably could find a nice one for $55k. Good luck in your search - They are great cars & a good value right now.

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Just out of couriosity, why is the color of the dash of any significant?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd generally give a small $ premium to black over brown -- just my personal opinion. A brown dash might even be my preference if it complements the other colors well (but I wouldn't tell the Seller that ;)).

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think my brown dash works good with my blue exterior & crema seats w/ tan carpet. I saw the same color combo with a black dash & I preferred the brown.

8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I thought the same thing until it got time to put my money where my mouth is. When I purchased my car I found two nearly identical TR's with the only difference being interior color. I purchased the less expenive one with the brown dash and tan seats but I preferred the more expensive one with the red seats and black dash. When it got down to it, there was no way I was willing to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a different interior color and the price difference was over $1,000.

I would think that the black dash, while it certainly looks better than brown, would get hotter and crack. I also wonder if it puts more glare on the windshield than the brown.

The car that I purchased had a recent 30,000 mile service at Ferrari of Houston so I paid a premium for that. Within only a few months of ownership the water pump failed and I had to have the engine pulled, so I went ahead and re-did the 30,000 mile service. Having said that, if I had to purchase my car again I would choose a car without the service and pay less for it and then have the service performed at the dealership myself. That way you know that everything was done and no short cuts were taken. That's my experience and advice.

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is really good advice. I would also prefer my mechanic do the work - Also since I know him and he stands behind the work he does.

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    You wouldn't pay a $1,000 price difference for the car you found liked better than the one with red seats and black dash but you did the 30,000 miles service because you had the engine out to change the water pump. It is your car and your money after all but I wonder why did you do the whole service if it wasn't needed.

11. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    The car with the red interior was selling for more than a $1,000 over the one with the tan interior. In my mind it wasn't worth more than $1,000. But, like the old saying goes "there is an a$$ for every seat", so I'm sure someone eventually bought the car and paid the premium.

The reason I had to perform the engine out service was to replace simple little part on the water pump that failed. There is a tiny little pin that sits inside a shaft that makes the pump turn. My pin slipped out of the shaft and it wouldn't spin. While I had the engine out repairing the water pump I went ahead and completed a full 30,000 mile service at the time. The biggest expense in the 30,000 mile serivce isn't the cost for the $50 timing belts, it's the $6,000 cost for removing and reinstalling the engine. While you have it out you may as well do other things to take advantage of the situation.

I replaced belts, hoses, fuel pump, oil lines, you name it, if it showed any sign of wear or age I replaced it. I think the most expensive part that I replaced was a stainless steel braided oil line that was over $300 for the part. My car is almost 18 years old so I didn't want to trust the old rubber parts and didn't want to wait for them to fail. Most parts failed as they were removed. They had become hard and brittle and cracked. You should have seen the fuel line where it leaves the fuel pumps. It was a fire waiting to happen.

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    How many hours did it take to ramove and install thew engine? Because for example at $90 per hour it would take 66 hours of labor for one to get charged $5,940. My estimate for my Testarossa 30,000 mile service was $6,500 to $8,000 and it wasn't anything close to it. Thats one of the reasons I sold my Testarossa I was tired of investing so much money into it as it was my daily driver for 5 years, my major was over $12,000 but that was with new tires and brake rotors included. But then again if it costs $6,000 to remove the engine and install it how come then and I hear so many people telling in F chat that their 30,000 major service for thies Testarossas were $6,500? Anyway how much was your hour rate for labor?

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had a 30k engine out service on my ex-TR at an independant about 6 years back for $5500 and that included a new clutch master cylinder and having the engine refinished. Last year I had a 30k engine out service on my BB512i at a Ferrari dealer for $6500 and that included having my engine refinished, exhaust system ceramic coated and radiator recored.

14. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    What a super deal but it sounds impossible, I dont mean to say you are not telling the truth, but how could they do all that for so little cash? Just the clutch parts and labor are more than half of $5500. Did you get the whole 30,000 mile service done for the Testarossa or just did the belts and the clutch? An independent also gave me the same amount of $6,500 for the major alone. I am thinking of buying another Testarossa or maybe a BB512 but only if I can find a competent independent. I guess you know the right people.