TR rear bonnet cable broken | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR rear bonnet cable broken

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UpNorth, Nov 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

You said it Steve...those cables always break at the nut. I've gone through 3 front cables and 4 rear cables.

It's exactly what you say. When you pull up, it kinks the cable right at the crimped on lug.

I really want a better solution than to keep paying $100.00 per cable which is just a $5.00 bicycle cable. I just can't find the proper eye-lug end.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

2. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Mine broke a few weeks ago. I went to a motorcycle shop and had a guy solder a similar fitting on a small motorcycle cable. It was less than $20 to replace the cable. It took 5 minutes in his parking lot with just the tools in my car's tool kit. Easy fix. I just replaced the cable inside the cable housing and used the original cable housing without removing it.. It slide right through from the interior of the car out to the engine bay. Mine lasted 27 years. I am very gentle with the opening mechanism.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #28 Melvok, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    I am allways very gentle with the opening mechanism(s).

And do install them like Steve mentionned.

THAT all is the trick .... mine (year 1992) did not break yet after (my) 5 years of gentle use ...

4. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Yep, you gotta be gentle with certain parts of a b**ch... :D

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson

(Just adding the F PN for the rear bonnet release cable so that I can find this thread again in less than a fortnight if the subject comes up again ;))

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am with the group who buys bulk cable at Home Depot and makes a small loop at the handle end.

xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No argument -- it's a shame that one the vendors doesn't offer a "rebuild kit" with just the inner cable (and maybe some sort of end "protection" for the wire loop from rubbing on the thread crests) as you'd nearly never need to replace the outer sheath (nor want to hassle doing that even if you did buy 61499200 ;)).

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been modifying the handles for a long time and seem to have really cut down on cable failures and broken handles as a result. The handle was adapted from the 308 where the cable runs straight away from it and not a sharp bend. It was a poor choice for the TR. GT Car parts does or did make some in aluminum and I have a couple of the prototypes. Paint the body black and you cannot tell the difference and they never break.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I often wondered about this sharp bending why F did it so?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They were being cheap and stupid. Should have designed a new handle and they were too lazy to do so.

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    how do you modify the handle?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I remove the end cap of the outer cable so there is no sharp edge to saw on the cable. I enlarge the diameter of the recess for the outer cable so it can float around a bit to align better with the actual direction the cable is being pulled and let it also be slightly less of a very sharp bend. I also enlarge the hole the cable goes through because over the arc of travel of the handle the cable isn't centered to the hole and it saws a bit on the plastic.

turbo-joe likes this.