TR smells a little "rich" | FerrariChat

TR smells a little "rich"

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Capone, May 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capone

Capone Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Hrm, parked the car in my garage last night after a 30 minute drive adn I noticed a strong smell coming from it. Doesn't really smell like gas but it is a very strong, similar odor. Any ideas where to start looking or what to do?

2. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Don't smoke while looking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russell

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You may want to see if your cats are still good. If the honeycomb is burned out then they aren't burning off the unburnt fuel in the exhaust, so that could be why your getting a rich smell.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Maybe check all fuel hose clamps?? Maybe have fuel weeping from a loose clamp or something silly as such?? Hard to pick up the smell from 10,00km in Australia. :) Maybe if i had the nose of a dashound.... :D

5. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I have my TR in Norwoods for a strong gas smell that I could not track down nor could James he thinks the hose from the gas filler neck to the tank has deterioated and the fumes are weeping through the hose no sign of fuel anywhere and the smell is worse when the car is closed in the garage.

Martin

6. jaydens1

jaydens1 Rookie

May 17, 2006
    new zealand
    Full Name:
    tony j downes
    antifreeze has an unusual smell and sometimes wont leak enough to be visible on the ground.oil seeping onto exhaust.fuel cap .ever tried to miss a plastic shopping bag.they are like magnets and always like adhering themselves to exhausts in a nanosecond.hot smell/brakes/ h/brake oops.evaporator pipe off.cv boot.check your fuel cans in the garage. wake up wake up i think you were having a bad dream.Sorry ------- if it smells like petrol 10 times out of 10 it is . crank car for a split second /look at fuel lines etc.weeping is usually more visible when hoses are cold.dont smoke in the garage anymore. Tony

7. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I don't drive a Ferrari, but I can tell you what antifreeze smells like when evaporating off a hot engine compartment (my car had a coolant leak a while back). It's got a far more unpleasant odor than gasoline, acrid and almost like burning rubber. It's not as bad as burnt clutch, though.

Sorry if that sounds vague, it's tough to put into words. :)