TR steering wheel column lever | FerrariChat

TR steering wheel column lever

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, May 12, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Another drive another 36 year old part that breaks on me :)
    After looking at the diagram it looks like the lever itself gets attached through a long bokt coming from the other side (right)
    Is it possible to loose this bolt without removing the whole knee pad? (US car)
    There’s a little cover that comes off with two screws but the Bolt head is further to the right (maybe from behind ?)
    Thsnks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Should be able to access the bolt if you remove the cover under the wheel.

Probably broke because it was too tight.

Attached Files:

ferralc likes this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Actually it broke when I was pushing it after adjusting the column, and I was not pushing harder than usual. I don’t think you can access the bolt with just the cover, it is at a weird angle.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Any tips to get access to the steering column bolt head without removing the knee pad?
    And if it is necessary to remove the knee pad, any tips and tricks? I did several searches and I just found one from Steve M when he removed the whole dash, and he removed seats and center console too. I wish I could make it simpler for this lever.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Knee bolster requires removing seats, console and speaker boxes. Its very heavy by the way so have help.

I have never needed to remove the lever unless knee bolster was already out so no idea if it can be done.
    Since 1985 I have never seen one break.

ferralc likes this.
  6. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    It's the nut on the other side that determines how tight it is when you close the lever. Mine was also super tight, had to loosen the nut to open it without likely breaking it.

Can you post some pics without that cover.

ferralc likes this.
  7. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    https://youtube.com/shorts/j3f3Ut1szEc?si=f6VSPH8SA2dghe1g
    Certainly here’s a video, at the beginning you can actually see the remaining of the lever, it goes to the right and there’s no way to access the head from the opening.
    In the pictures I am pointing at where it is located in reference to the knee pad.
    From behind (where I put a flashlight for the pictures ) you might be able to insert a wrench but I don’t think there’s enough room to go up/down to loosen or tighten it.
    Unless someone way more handy than me can give some ideas.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never had a problem adjusting the nut.

9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    How did you access to the nut without removing the knee pad? From behind?? Thanks

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its been years. I do not remember but it was not hard. I have never once considered removing the knee bolster to do it.

ferralc likes this.
  11. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    If there's enough space to pull it out and replace it, I would try to get a ratchet wrench or socket with flexible extension in there before removing the knee pad.

ferralc likes this.
  12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Well I was so fixated to access the nut from underneath that I totally ignored to look for an access from the front.
    If you remove the rubber cover you have access to the nut way easily.
    Not enough space for an open end wrench but a ratcheting wrench should do the job.
    So If I unscrew this nut the handle on the other wide will become loose? Or how do I deattach it from the lever? I guess the lever screws into the stud thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    if that’s the case and indeed the stud needs to slide out as a whole to remove the lever then for sure the knee pad must be removed as there’s no enough space for the stud to be slide out completely, the knee pad is in the way.

Attached Files:

15. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Since it's broken you probably have enough space to unscrew the broken piece as a "nut".
    Getting the new one on, I don't know.

I'm guessing the pin keeps the stud from turning. Depends if you can slide it out both ways.
    If that's possible, then you can remove the broken piece, remove the nut on the other side, and slide the stud to the side where the lever is.
    Hopefully there's enough space to slide it past the pin, then you can screw the stud into the lever, slide it back in, and put the nut on.

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    There’s no space on the right side either, I was thinking maybe removing the pin and try to screw the new lever by turning the stud by hand inside the column, I can’t see the PIN though, maybe the steering wheel covers (where the VIN is) need to come off to have access to it, and I believe for that I need to remove the steering wheel as the round base holds the top and bottom parts together.
    On another note if the lever indeeds attaches to the stud by screwing on a thread clockwise, how it doesn’t get loose at moving the lever up after adjusting the column? Pulling the lever up would have a counter clockwise force to it.
    I guess I will know more when I get the replacement part in my hands.

17. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Not what I meant.

Uncrew the broken lever piece. Undo the nut on the right side.

Slide the stud to the left until the pin shows. Once it's past the pin you should be able to rotate the stud.

I'm assuming the pin acts like a woodruff key and it slides out with the stud.

18. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Check this - https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/122193

Seeing how that's cut I think you can remove the broken piece, remove the nut on the right and slide the stud the left and expose the pin.
    Remove pin and you can rotate the stud to screw the replacement lever on.

19. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That’s a good idea to slide it to the left just enough to get the pin exposed and rotate the stud, I don’t think the pin needs to be removed then, hopefully I’ll find enough room to do so.
    That still doesn’t answer me why the lever doesn’t get loose when the lever is pulled up (lock position) as it is a counter clock wise movement.

20. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Reverse thread or loosening it tightens something else.

The nut on the right side may be pulling the pin against the support.

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Reverse thread would make it loose when you push it down to unlock it. I will just wait to have the replacement part in my hands to figure it out how it works and figure how to remove the old one and see if I can install the new one without removing the knee pad.
    I just can’t believe anyone has dealt with this before, not even Brian.
    Steve M here just acknowledged it is a “weak handle” so I thought it was a common issue
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/stuck-steering-wheel-tilt-lever.577112/

22. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  23. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That is the newer diagram for the TR starting 80423, not sure if there is major difference (I don’t think so) but here is mine.
    Here you can see the pin (23)attaches to the stud (21)on the left side of the steering column
    But the only way to access from above is removing the steering covers (12 and 13) and I believe for this you need to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the base (30)
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/043-steering-column-(starting-from-car-no-75997-to-car-no-80422)

Attached Files:

24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Thought you could get some angled tweezers in there.

Anyway, pretty sure you can slide the stud and then you can turn it even with the pin in there.
    I think you'll be fine without pulling the knee pad.

ferralc likes this.
  25. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #25 ferralc, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Thanks for your help, you gave me really good ideas, I am pretty sure the new part will bring a better understanding of how it attaches to the stud and the way to remove the broken one without removing the knee pad.
    By the way I just found this old thread and the OP had to remove it and he made a PDF documenting the process. Hopefully I can find a way to do so without removing it
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/us-tr-steering-adjustment-lever-replacement-knee-bolster-removal.527771/

About the lever he says this at the end
    “Step 6: Replace the steering column adjustment lever.
    • You’ll need a 19mm socket to unscrew the old lever and put in the new one. It’s easy to replace - just unscrew the huge nut a the right-hand side of the adjustment lever on the underside of the steering wheel.Adjust it a bunch of times as you want to get the friction-fit of the bolt right before you put everything back together.”