TR vs. Boxer? | FerrariChat

TR vs. Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mrp_e, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    TR prices seem to continue to sink lower, while Boxers are holding steady. I know fewer Boxers where made, but are they worth as much as 50% more? I've always wanted a Boxer, but for $50k a nice TR is looking pretty damn enticing. What am I missing here? I know the cheese grater side scoopes aren't for everyone (including my wife)

Nice 86 TR on ebay for BIN $45.5:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457356703&category=6212

Very Nice 83 Boxer sold by Sheehan for $79K:
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/46503/46503a.html

OK 81 Boxer sold by Sheehan for $57.5k:
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/37715/37715a.html

2. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I am facing the same dilemma, I am in Ireland and will be buying a car in the UK, where for not much more money it is possible to buy a 512TR, I wont be able to decide until I look at examples of both the Tr and boxer, but for me the boxer wins hands down on looks, and if value retention is a concern they will definitely hold more than the Tr.
    steve

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have owned a TR and now a BB512i and can tell you from experience that while the TR is faster, the Boxer is more fun to drive. Plus, the Boxer is a classic that's still looks great over two decades later.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i don't want to hijack the thread here, but does anyone know why TR prices are falling...? It seems weird; i didn't think the TR would ever drop in price, i always figured it would go up or at least hold...

5. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Looks?

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    IMHO, TR prices are dropping mostly because Ferrari made so many of them. I believe Ferrari made more TRs than any other single model. Plus, the looks have not faired as well as the Boxer before it. The expense of maintainiing one hasn't helped much either.

7. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

I agree about the volume issue possibly hurting values. Looks are another matter. If you can find a 512TR at a price near a Boxer then that is the way to go IMHO. The 512 is way beyond a Boxer in terms of performance and they didn't make that many of them.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if the question is what to get between a regular ('84-'91) tr and a bb512, then i would get the bb512. they made fewer, the shape is classic, and there is something to be said for owning the first production mid engined 12 car ferrari made.

if the question is between a bb512 and a 512tr, then i would get the 512tr (yes i am biased), but then keep my eyes peeled for a bb512 to get in addition - because i do love that car.

the loser in this excercise is the regular tr. 7700 of them wandering the world doesn't help, along with excessive maintenance issues etc. don't get me wrong, i like the tr but in this case if you can't pony up for the 512tr, then get the bb512. imho

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i had no idea TRs were so... "unpopular"... i thought everyone loved the look of the TR... What's not to like...?

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Hi there. The TR's are hardly unpopular (well, maybe to collectors(?) with the exception of the 512TR and esp. the M) . What's not to like, I guess, is the maintenance/repair which is probably the biggest issue. As mentioned there were about 7K plus produced, but Ferrari also produced 7K plus 328's. But the latter is not as "expensive" to maintain and repair. I think the TR is one of the most beautiful fcars. Just my thoughts...

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Ron328, are you sure they made 7k 328s ? That sounds way high to me. Maybe 7k 308s and 328s combined ?

12. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    TR is one of the greatest.

13. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hi Frank. To be exact, 6068 328 GTS's from '85-'89
    and 1344 or 1345 plus Berlinetta's. 308's NOT included, for sure.

Regards.

14. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    In a number +/-7500 that is how many TRs were produced - the most of any Ferrari ever. They simply are not that rare as such, there are always many on the market - the rest is all supply and demand.

Also, the 550 has been falling pretty hard, that puts additional downward pressure on TR prices.

The only TR that may (eventually) be a decent collectors item is the 512M.

Scottie

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ron & Scott, thanks for your replies... i know TR are expensive to maintain but most Ferraris are; maybe not AS expensive, but still... Also, how does the original number produced matter if there's not that many left, now... Some have been wrecked or whatever else and, as time goes on, naturally, the numbers will decrease... i thought the TR was a Ferrari icon; everyone knows what it is when they see it... i guess i'm just deceived by my own mind, here... i thought the cost of a TR would only increase... This is all good news actually - i might be able to afford one, one day...! :)

16. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    I'll chime in here although I am not an expert on these two cars, the 512BB series is tough to get parts for. And when you find them, bend over. Since the TR is alot newer and more were made, driveability in terms of maintenance/parts availability is not comparable to the Boxer. Both cars have their pluses and minuses and the trade off appears neutral on both sides. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. The things that turn me off about the TR series is the FIAT looking interior, dash, seats. Looks similar to the mondial. Electrical gremlins galare on the TR that the Boxer does not have.

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    BB512 any time over a TR. next to a 250 series classic the BB just grabs me. a plain regular daytona is second. hell i am the idiot trying to find the beater 308 gtb/gts/gt4 to save ,so these v12's are " out of reach" for me for now. must go earn more money!!!!!!!!

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My guess is that the F348/F355/360 have all been made in higher numbers (just over 3,000/year and multiple year runs).

Now if you are trying to say the most 12 cylinder Ferraris; thats a different story.........

19. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Ferrari parts prices in general are stupid, are the boxers any worse than any of the other higher priced Ferraris?

What parts have you not been able to acquire? And who is your normal parts source?

Greg A

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

No just the yellow TR's from N.J., with grey-market generic batteries on the floor and spaghetti sauce stains on the carpet from the previous owner.

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    This thread is of much interest to me. I've decided it's time for a real sports-car and it has to be a Ferrari. But the education curve is slow and indirect.

I think I've narrowed my choice to a 512BBi but haven't driven one yet - how do they compare to a 348tb or a 355? They're a lot heavier and limits wouldn't be as high - but across the board I don't think I've seen a negative comment on a 512BBi yet, outside of maintenance costs. But every Ferrari has maintenance costs and even the 348/355's are engine out models. are Boxer's that much more expensive to mantain than TR's, or are their owner's just "dedicated".

Does anyone know the Michael Sheehan's 512BBi he has listed now - #44811?

Besides the styling and size, what are the real benefits of a TR vs. the Boxer? I'm looking for a well-handling car with great feel (steering, brakes, suspension), less interest in outright performance, grunt is good coming from American metal, and reasonable depreciation and mtc costs.

22. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I like BBs i think they are very attractive & I love the BBLM

I got the 512 TR though bcus its got more power, better AC, brakes, less electrical problems I think & less issues w the injection. I think the 512TR needs less maintenance than an older car. Also ultimately I prefer the looks of my 512TR.

A wise man once said "Old stuff , is old stuff" and since I wanted a car that I could track regularly the 512TR is much better for that & also parts are more readily available than for the BB

I wouldnt mind adding a BBLM or a 512BBi to the stable some day though :)

I heard of 1 guy who had a 512BBi road car with BBLM brakes & engine upgrades, what a Monster that must be :)

23. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thx for the info - and I think a BBi is about as far back as I'd want to go. How bad the a/c is on these 20yr old Fcars? I live in a moderate climate with summer high's of 90F or so, am I going to be able to drive one to the office mid-day in traffic without needing a shower? The 355 I took out last week had a great a/c, way better than any Honda/Toyota.

512BBLM, or any LM for that matter, would be a whole lot of fun! But think I'd need a couple upgrades to the lifestyle and income first. Have to work the staff harder!

24. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I personally could care less if the value of my TR goes down to zero or up to a mil. My simple plan is to just keep driving it until one of us drops...

25. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Testarossa versus Boxer -

1) Maintenance costs are the same.
    2) Reliability is the same.
    3) Power - slight advantage to TR
    4) Creature Comforts - slight advantage to TR
    5) Current investment status - advantage to Boxer
    6) Long-term investment status - Cystal Ball is having an oil change.
    7) Fun-to-drive - Advantage to Boxer
    8) Idiosyncracies requiring owner's attention/fiddling - same.
    9) Likelihood of passing one on the road - disadvantage TR.
    10) Parts availability - same.
    11) Happy countenance when driving the Boxer - priceless.

I own both.

Jim S.