Tracked California T today | FerrariChat

Tracked California T today

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by good2go, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #1 good2go, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My tires need to be replaced so I took the car to the track. Had a lot of fun but 3 issues.

- Today was short track only (2.5 miles).

- It rain during second session.

- Front left tire was shot after 3 session.

This is my first lap (after out lap) of second session as it started to rain.

My top speed of the day was 136. Wish I recorded last session, by far my best session.

I see posts that say: never tracked, never driven in the rain. Today I did both: Tracked in the rain. I love driving my Ferrari, I love driving it on the track even more. You real see what these cars can do.

Great day.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, that's a good way to say goodbye to expiring tires. I also did the same with mine last year but once you get new street tires on it's kind of hard to justify shredding them on the track. Maybe you should get new street rims, tires, and put Trofeo Rs on the OE rims for the track... looks like you were smokin' yesterday. ;)

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Seems it did ok in the rain! I was warned about driving in the rain in Vegas so we parked the car during the short rain storms that passed thru. Didn’t miss much driving though as we were going to tour the furniture factory the wife’s family owns. But good to know it would have done well had we driven in the rain. I suspect the warning is a general warning the rental place gives everyone.

Looks like it was fun!!

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I drive in the rain all the time. But this is the first time I really pushed it. Taking some fast turns and hard braking in the wet pavement

I push it a lot more on dry pavement.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You crazy, crazy bastage! It's now worthless! :) Just kidding, G2G. Great post. Which track were you at?

I have driven the Cali in the rain several times, typically pop up thunderstorms. It's great w/ the MPSS tires. The only problem I've had with rain is not being fast enough & getting caught once with the top down in a light rain shower. But, once it stopped raining, I popped the HTC again, and drove it another hour or so to dry out the inside!

T

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Track - BIR, not many places to race close to Minneapolis.

Ordered the Pilot Spot 4s - supposed to be the 4th generation of the MPSS. Excited to give them a try.

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I am not sure I would go out on track with tires that can only last maybe 3 sessions if I know that as fact up front. But I sure do like going out on new rubber and really nailing it to the best of my ability. Oh well, you made it through safely so you win. Enjoy!