Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Tracking Your Ferrari is a MUST!!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by klointheridge, May 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Agree, there is almost always moisture in the system. I will go beyond the 6 month rule for a full flush and do a bleed at each caliper prior to a driving event. We have a club owned tool to test the boiling point of brake fluid and over the years we have determined that this little bit of fluid at the the caliper degrades quicker than the rest of the fluid in the system (not written in stone but the trend continues as we test more fluids). Readings may be due to the heat and/or pressure cycles of the fluid at the caliper.

Just FYI, I have used "ATE" Super Blue (now called Typ 200) for years in my BMW without issues, dry boiling point 536F and verified with our club fluid tester to be at least this high. In the Ferrari I have my mechanic flush every six months and occasionally bleed prior to an event, they use the Ferrari recommended fluid.

For those who don't know, brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air and this is what lowers the boiling point of the fluid. We have tested used fluid and it has been in the 475-500F range after a few events. We have also tested unused fluid left in an unsealed can to be in the 300-350F range. This is why we recommend using new, unopened fluid when preforming the flush.

We try to keep it simple and require a 1L brake fluid flush less than 6 months prior to an HPDE event. Other chapters and clubs have different rules but this works for us.

Doug

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While what you say about running 1L every 6 mos works it is only necessary for cars with marginal brake systems. What you demand is great for the occasional newbie attendee. But if someone knows their car they should be allowed to treat it accordingly. I'm a big believer in education and responsibility.

A funny thing happened in SCCA T1 racing where we begged for aftermarket brakes because we were changing pads every weekend and cracking rotors on the 3rd day. At Runoffs there was a brake failure and the driver had to be airlifted out. SCCA allowed us brakes. My car was the development car of the Stoptech T1 brakes. The overkill in the other direction was so great that pads now last 1/2 a year and rotors last 1 1/2 years before I change them. I never "need" to flush and bleed brakes but do so annually only because I feel guilty not doing it. I also use cheap Valvoline autoparts store fluid. I don't need motul or expensive SRF.

pdxjim488 and jcurry like this.
  3. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name: