Trade in my F430 spider for a Porsche GT3? | FerrariChat

Trade in my F430 spider for a Porsche GT3?

Discussion in '360/430' started by psb1013, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    My local Porsche dealer just informed that they got in a very lightly used 2018 GT3 as trade and are willing to sell it to me at MSRP! I had a chance to test-drive a GT3 earlier in the year and was blown away by that car. In my opinion, it is without a doubt, one of the best driver's cars of all time. The handling, the steering, braking, ride quality, and the intoxicating exhaust note are simply world-class. Of course the GT3 (or any 911 for that matter) is not going to turn as many heads or bring a sense of occasion as my F430 spider, but the driving experience has few equals.

Unfortunately,I don't have the means to keep the F430 and buy the GT3. What should I do? I know the GT3 is still in hot demand and value seems to be steadily rising. While I love my F430, I also seriously desire the GT3. This is tough.....

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Both great cars.
    Your life.
    You only live once, follow your gut/heart.

schwoo, Jackson32 and TAILWAG like this.
  3. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    PDK or Manual GT3 ?

4. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I sold my 18 gt3 pdk and got a f430 manual spider. If your going from a manual ferrari to gt3, I would say keep ferrari. If your going from the f1 to pdk or manual, then maybe I'd do it. Porsche's pdk is great but nothing like a manual ferrari. The gt3 gets looks, handling is amazing, and is pretty comfortable to drive around, but nothing like driving a ferrari...

mikevf430 likes this.
  5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Park a GT3, or any Porsche for that matter, next to the 430, or again, any Ferrari, and see which car gets the most attention. If it is a track car, then get the GT3.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    It amazes me how much people care so much about what others think.
    If I like something, I just do it. It is a car man - do what you want...be safe and have fun!

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    You can drive the porsche anywhere, there are so many of them no one notices. I went from a 360 to the 911. Fun car, easy to drive, and your anonymous. You can use it as a DD, i dont have any problems parking it at the movie theater or the mall.

Performance would be a coin toss depending on what your style of driving is.

Dd, the 911, special weekend car, the 430.

My $.02

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First of all I agree do what YOU want. But hear is my advice, really depends on what you want to do with the car. If you just want a weekend car keep the 430. If you want a DD that you can drive antwhere and bit worry about it and drive to the track, get the GT3. Also if the GT3 is manual that is definitely more tempting pdk not so much. As far as value, the GT3 are going to hold value especially if it's a manual. Although I think the 430 are almost at their bottom. Is this a straight trade at the dealer? Good luck, can't really go wrong either way.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i daily a 911s manual and weekend the 430f1. hard to go wrong.

i wouldn't factor in that the porsche will get less attention. that is just vanity.

sounds like you want the gt3 so i would go for it.

10. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    How much are they offering you on the trade? If it's an equal trade then I would personally do it in a heartbeat.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You are asking Ferrari chat. So the quick advice is keep the 430 and skip the 911. I have no desire to drive a Porsche.

However, I can see you are tempted, so the question I would ask is how difficult would it be to find a similar F430 spider to your car? If you have a red/tan F1 F430 spider, I think the odds are high you could find another in that spec. Thus, you could give the 911 a try and if you love it, great. If you don't, and want the Ferrari back, there is a market for the 911 and you can buy another F430 spider (or something else). If your car is more rare, say its gorgeous Blu Tdf and stick shift, then I would say think really long and hard about making that move.

12. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have owned several 911 GT3 and GT3 RS and just purchased an F430 spider. Both very different cars. Yes the GT3 has amazing steering, braking, suspension, transmission, and engine. It is a very well balanced car with minimal annual maintenance costs. I wanted to get into the Ferrari brand and also wanted a convertible so figured the F430 spider is a good fit for me.
    You cant go wrong with either car. I alternate the 2 cars based on if I want a convertible or not that day...

13. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. The GT3 I'm looking at has PDK. My 430 spider has a F1. I already have a DD, so either car would be a weekend "toy" for me.

I wish I was rich enough to afford all 3. Oh well, so is life. :(

14. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Sounds like you really like the GT3. Especially since you're thinking of the track. You can always change cars later or add another Ferrari. Do what feels right for you.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I go from a 430 to a 4C to an Evora 400, and then to a (according to Porsche dealers a kit car) modified 997S, and at times a 718 Cayman S (I don't like Porsche's PDK it is too perfect). Maybe it is because I live so close to Algar but the 4C gets the most attention out of all the cars (too much in my opinion) The Evora 400 and the 997S are gearshift cars (the 997S is fitted with one of those very expensive aftermarket track gear shift systems (it blew two normal transmissions apart and one gearbox). I could care less about what anyone (except my girlfriend but not when it comes to cars) thinks about most things especially cars. I do love Porsche's (I should I've had 41 of them) and if I could only have one sports car (damn that thought makes me shiver in fear) it would be my 997S (or another Porsche). I like Ferrari's, but truth be told my modified 4C is a lot more fun to toss around (because it is so raw it makes the 400 and 430 seem almost luxury like). My 4C is modified too ECU, Transmission tune (shifts 27% faster than stock) air box & throttle controller, and it feels faster (it probably is not ) than the 430 because it is so light and small. So if I could have a second sports car it would be a 4C. After 467 cars you do learn a lot and I have taken apart and modified at least 80% of them, since in my opinion no car is perfect out of the box. Yes this is Ferrarichat and as you can see I've been here a long time, but I am a carnut, not simply a Ferrari nut and there are a lot of great cars out there that don't have a prancing horse of them, the GT3 is one of them. If you can OP take a drive in a 4C even in stock form it is pretty good, though try and find one with the 18/17" wheel package the car is far better suited to those wheel sizes, you might be able to swing that and GT3. It is a lot rarer than a 430 and just so much fun. Good luck.

TAILWAG likes this.
  16. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I like Carnut posts because you always know what you're going to get:
    - Number of cars owned = over 9000
    - Favorite Ferrari: modified Alfa 4C
    - Maximum number of words per paragraph: ∞

hessank, TAILWAG and mchas like this.
  17. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    I hasn’t had a C4D and traded it for a gated 99 360 Modena. I don’t think I’d go back to a Porsche. Yes it’s amazing and can’t even fathom a GT3. I just love the look and attent my 360 garners. Besides the 911 style , while iconic, hasn’t changed. Every one knows it’s Porsche. It’s great when people ask what’s that ( meaning the Ferrari). Sorry for your dilemma.

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    "I never realized how happy I could be once I stopped caring about what other people thought" Drew Carey

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I went the other way. I had 911s all my life. I traded my 993 for my 360. Not the car the GT3 is of course, but I will say this: The 911 is almost foolproof to drive. I like the edginess of the 360. I'm not looking back and make no mistake, I loved my 993.

Oh and for me, the looks of my 360 are not even in the same league as the 911. My 360 to me is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing car I have ever owned.

I'm 360 Canuck and Ninzi like this.
  20. Ninzi

Ninzi Karting

Jan 11, 2018
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Robert O'Malley
    I concur with KGC.

21. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Maybe you can afford all 3 if you go for the 991.1 GT3 as opposed to the 2018 991.2 GT3?

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    This.

If you track, GT3. Otherwise, Ferrari.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just bought another one yesterday, but I don't need that many words for this one Orange Kia Soul Exclaim!

24. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    This is a common misconception. GT3 is a great road car. Hardly optimized for track IMO.

Get the GT3 and if you need an 430 again one day sell the GT3 and get another. It's not like an 430 Spider is hard to find.

25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If it's a GT3 it turns heads....................just saying. You can not be incognito in a GT3...........................911 yes but put that monster wing on the back and it demands attention.