Trade up to 488 or 296? | FerrariChat

Trade up to 488 or 296?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NuorderSG, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Seeking thoughts from fellow members.

I love cars and cycle through cars on a regular basis .....usually lagging one or two generations behind to get the "right" car and right price point for me. I drive my cars and so am careful about the initial depreciation hit with a new car. I do have a nice 458 that I am happy with and love to drive.

For a while I had been considering an SF90, but the price tag was more than I could bear with. Not in terms of financial outlay, but just the thought of having that much money tied up into something that I would drive regularly on public roads....and all that it entails.

So, the next alternative I thought might be a 296, but I am not that excited about a six cylinder car on the Ferrari platform (I mean I already have a Porsche 991 4S and will be moving up to a GT3RS). Though , I do like the 296 performance specs and the hybrid concept ( always lusted after a Porsche 918).

Then, there is the 488 that meets most of my performance criteria except for the wide, side nostrils that I am not a fan of. Though, honestly, I am not a great fan of the wheel arches on the 296 either

It's seems both the 296 or 488 would be a compromise on features I don't love. However, both do have the higher performance and technology I would like.

So my choices are to hold out for a subsequent iteration of the 296 generation for a "better" rear design, bite the bullet on a 488, or just motor along happily in my 458...and maybe get an older Ferrari (348 GTS?) just to play around with on weekends. An SF 90 is out of the question but welcome input from Sf90/ 918 owners for their experiences with the hybrids as proxies for the 296.

Thoughts? ... particularly from those who went from 458 to 488 or current hybrid owners who also own(ed) 458/488s

2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Drive all of those cars. Not a 10minute trip but a good couple hours of mixed speed drive.

How do you feel about them compared to your 458? This is the best advice one can give because feelings are subjective.

3. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I would keep the 458 and buy a vintage 308/328/348. I have no desire for a 296 and the standard 488 GTB never attracted me.

The only car I would ever consider upgrading to from my 458 would be a 458 Speciale. Otherwise, keep the 458 and buy a vintage Ferrari for the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've owned a 458, a 488, and I'm now waiting for my F8 to arrive. I'm curious as to why you skipped over the F8? A fantastic car by all measures (except exhaust note). Also, the previously maligned 488 is now finally recognized by many for what it is; a great Ferrari that many believe exceeds its predecessor in most every way (except the 9,000 rpm howl). So if it we me, rather than wait for a 296 (the reliability of which is yet to be determined), I'd either select a 488 or an F8, in both cases I'd opt to wait until the market settles down a bit. Chances are you won't get an allocation and the secondary market is ablaze right now!

NuorderSG and Napoli like this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    As I am not much of a fan of the 296 looks and Ferrari's hybrid componentry/reliability (thus far), I would buy the 488 (I love mine!) and revel in its comparative simplicity and reliability - and, buy it soon; its value is rising as the ICE age is coming to an end.

And, then, of course, there is the F8 and Pista (both amazing) to consider. If these cars don't meet your aesthetic desires, then maybe you should throw a few into the mix that do. Lambo? Mclaren?

Viperjoe likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Speciale!

F2003-GA and Viperjoe like this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  8. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    The only car i’d sell my 458 spider for is a speciale. In my opinion, your Porsche can be technically flawless with loads of tech, the Ferrari is about passion and sound.

NuorderSG likes this.
  9. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you. Great idea. That would be ideal, but I doubt I'll be able to get anyone to lend me their Ferrari cars for a legthy spirited drive.

Maybe renting a Vegas, Ferrari beater (at least for the 488) might do the trick. Thanks!

10. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    After owning 458 and 488 Spiders I bought a 812SF. If you have not owned a Ferrari V12 it’s definitely worth consideration.

Boomhauer and 430jm like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not many buyers get or appreciate this, sadly.

Viperjoe, NuorderSG and jc1 like this.
  12. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Love the V12 sound...but I can't get myself to love the long front ends of the mid-front engine cars. The passion isn't there . The cab-forward look of the rear-mid cars do it for me.

It's just a subtle personal preference. - but thank you for the thought and for reminding me that there is a bigger world out there.

13. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

He, he.....the Speciale....Yes! Correct, I should be considering it! Maybe that's the answer!!!

14. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

...love the train of thought. - but both the F8/488 Pista have the similar side, air scoops that don't excite me. No doubt they are beyond the 458 in performance. Though it's a worthy thought now that you mention it.

But McLaren, Lambo? .....Noooooo! ....oh the blasphemy. I would get an Audi R8 before getting either of those. ( but seriously, they are all very nice cars...just don't have experience with them).

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i sold my 488 gtb and am waiting for my f8 i would get a f8 before the hybrid v6 ferrari last of the v8 ferrari

16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I only mentioned other brands because of your disdain for the scoops.

Viperjoe likes this.
  17. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I hear you. McLaren does have some pretty awesome lease deals which makes consideration tempting because of the low commitment/ low barrier to entry. I love their rendition of the Orange body color.

18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    A wealth of options. Are you any closer to your next move?

19. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I am on schedule to discuss the 296 with my local dealer this coming week. In the meantime, I am actively perusing Ads for the Speciale and 348s. I am leaning towards sticking with the 458 platform or hybrid. But, the allure of a V12 is there.

I prob. won't go outside of Ferrari for my next adventure. ...but nothing is 100% off the table at this time.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It all depends on what you're looking for - if you're interested in performance the 488 is a huge step forward compared to the 458, but the 296 is another one , with the drawback of hybrid and added weight.
    If you look for something purer and different, a V12 is worth considering.
    Best is to have a V8 and a V12 ;) even if it leads to rule out the most recent cars (if, like most people, you have financial limits).

21. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I would ask the dealer how long the 296 journey will take from allocation to delivery….18 months,if the case,is a long time in the car world and a lot can change. I was one of the early bird F8 seekers and cancelled after waiting one year. I ended up with a Pista.

Napoli and NuorderSG like this.
  22. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

The new generation V12s have always tempted me.

The only V12 I ever owned was the 456M...but that was 2+2 and I found the proportions very appealing. However, I am not enamored with the longer front ends of the front, mid engine V12s ( but I've also never driven them).

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    While the F12 and 812 are obviously more advanced, the 599 is a fantastic car - older cars (550, 575) are blatantly oudated (and that's part of their appeal) but the 599 is still a beast.

Napoli likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Keep the 458 or trade it in on a V12 of some sort.

Ray

25. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Ask the dealer on hybrid technical issues with the SF90. The first generation 296 may have similar growing pains.

Napoli likes this.