Traded a Viper SRT-10 for a Supercharged XLR-V | FerrariChat

Traded a Viper SRT-10 for a Supercharged XLR-V

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by SRT-10, Feb 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    #1 SRT-10, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    'supercharged' XLR -V isn't that a little redundant?

I think it would be a bad move IMHO

3. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    If I had my choice between the two I would go with the viper, but its up to you man, if you were looking for something new then I hope this does the trick!

Congrats on the new ride!

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    The XLR is a great looking car. Not many around and has a very distinct look. The V series just makes it all that much better. Enjoy it and dont worry about it since you already made the change. But they are 2 very different vehicles in many regards.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I think if Elvis was still alive he would own one, even though he'd be too fat to fit in it.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If the car is a daily, then I would say its a good move.

If the car is a once in a week thing, I would say its a bad move.

IMHO of course.

7. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    It seems like a nice car but I think (or my father) has a bit of wisdom here

He thought what the hell give Caddy a try for once when they came out with that Allande thing (yes it was a Northstar).

Well needless to say -

and he traded a nice sl500 for it

good luck with resale

8. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Cadillac sports car. There's something I can't say without laughing.

9. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I say: Good move, Ive seen one of those on the roads..damn nice car. Have fun with it. You could always make a move back to the Viper if you really wanted to.

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    SRT 10 my dad is getting the same car infared metallic over tan xlr-v. It is getting built on thursday and should be here around the middle of next week according to the last update from the dealer. He currently owns an xlr with over 40k on it and loves the car, and he has owned everything from cl MB's, to a 355, to an H1 etc and it is his favorite car. Post more pics!! I'll do the same in about a week+- The dealer got a triple black one in about a week ago and we drove that one. The car is awesome, while I love the sl 55 the new xlr-v interior is on par with it. The seude, stiching, etc. Also, for the first time ALL the rattles are missing. Congrats :) Here is the link to my thread from 2 years ago when he got his first one. If you have any questions shoot me a pm. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4753&highlight=xlr
    Erik

11. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Right, because references to a car from the late 80s has what to do with the latest crop of frankly excellent cars that Cadillac has been making?

If its a daily driver, great move. If its a weekend toy, its up to your taste. I rather like the XLR, the V especially.

12. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Then you should drive a V series, they're a hoot! I fell in love with the CTS-V, although I'm not sure I could get as excited about the auto trans in the STS and XLR's.

13. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    I saw one of those driving in Dallas on I-20 coming up behind in and out of traffic and then I started to hear it and that thing was bad to the bone. It was a Cowboy player rolling in style. Blue was his color of choice. I was impressed by the looks and the sound of that was just really something. Sweet!

14. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A good friend of mine has a CTS-V. It handles like a cruise ship and the acceleration isn't impressive enough to make up for it.

15. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

And yet it posts numbers, and track times, that puts it very near E39 M5 Performance. Are the numbers lying or is just you being bias?

16. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You're impressed by a car that ALMOST has the performance of a car that was designed years before it? The E39 M5 isn't exactly my idea of an impressive sports car, either.

Either way, my opinion on the CTS-V stands. I am entitled to my opinion, right?

17. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

The point being made is that the CTS-V is at least as engaging as the E39 M5 which is given rave reviews, both when it was new and in the present when compared to new cars, period end of story.

An aside is that the CTS-V was designed as a competitor to the E39 when both the V and the M5 were available new from the dealer.

Oh and the V... its about as fast or faster than the new V10 M5, depending on which set of magazine numbers you believe.

18. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's the thing, neither is a "sports car". They are sport sedans, and as far as sedans go, their numbers are very impressive.

I like the new cadillacs....especially the V's. They're headed in the right direction with their new lineup.

Staying on topic, i personally prefer the viper's raw edge better...even in a daily driver, but the XLRV is a good car and choice.

19. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    I agree.

20. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That I'll agree with.

As a last comment in this thread, I just wanted to mention that another thing that really stuck out to me when I was driving my friend's CTS-V was the complete isolation from any road feel or steering feedback.

21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

The XLR-V is a gentleman's car, certainly. Beautiful machine and the one I would rather drive.

Great choice!

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Numbers mean jack if the feel of the steering is subpar, as it makes the car less fun to drive, IMHO of course.

I know I like the steering feel of my Range Rover over my SL let alone any of my BMWs, it just is better and not as disconnected (got to love BMW design, they made the RR).

That said, I am also sure my SL will destroy any of my other cars in just about every on paper performance category.

Just because a car posts better numbers does not make it a better car.

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    GUYS comparing an E39 M5 to a cts-v shouldn't be done the M5 cost at the time about $30k plus more so the M5 should be better. If they(BMW) made a new M3 sedan that is the car the CTS-V is going against. It is the STS-V that is going against the new M5 not the CTS-V.
    Erik

24. chitown dave

chitown dave Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2005
    well...Chicago
    Full Name:
    well...Dave
    Well college boy I'll do the paint by numbers and spoon feed you why references to a late 80s car (92 actually) has relevence.

You see he was asking for opinions.

I stated he may find the depreciation a bit much and used the Allante as an example since both cars are meant to compete with the SL class head to head.

Since I've been around a bit longer than you I can remember when Caddy tried to compete with MB SLs before and am offering my viewpoint. Hopefully it's a lease.

And when you actually have a job you will discover that resale translates into real money.

Now run along and go study -

25. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WOW! Lots of pent up aggression!

I personally like the XLR-V as it is a bit more civilized than the Viper. Around these parts you see Vipers all over (especially at dealers) but the XLR seems to be more exclusive and people are lining up and taking a number for the V series.

I drive an STS and love it. I will probably be tempted by the STS-V when my lease is up in mid 2007...hopefully employee discount will be extended to the V series by then.