Trading in my 308 QV | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trading in my 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrari_rich, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Trade it in. Hopefully it winds up in the hands of someone who appreciates it more than a Z.

Can you imagine the depreciation curve on the Z? lol

2. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    While I support your desire for something different, it doesn't seem you're comparing apples to apples.

The 308 can't and shouldn't be compared to any car post 1985, any more than comparing a '54 Vette to a '09 Z06....different generations, different technology, etc., there's no point of making a comparison. The 308 is a classic exotic, and should be compared to others in the same vein. It's not for everyone, it needs some amount of attention, and I do not think it makes a great every day car. Others may disagree, which is fine.

If you're thinking of the Cayman, then compare that to a BMW, not the Nissan. While these are all modern cars, the German's are in a totally different league and if you are in that price point, you owe it to yourself to drive something from BMW.

The Nissan is a nice car, I'd compare it to a Nissan/Infinity G Coupe, and even the new Camaro. The Camaro is hot, I test drove one two weeks ago, even in 6 cylinder setup, the car is quick, it handles well, looks ominous, and the fit and finish was surprisingly well done. Same HP +/-, you're going to have the same build quality across all these, the Camaro will probably have slightly higher resale in 4-5 years given it is the new version, and that they are more desirable right now than a Vette (the dealer told me this). You can configure an 8 cylinder/400+ HP version for $35K. I could care one way or the other about all these, but I am looking at all of them right now as my son is currently looking for a car and is going through these very options, as they are all in the same price point/specs.

If it were me, get a 3-4 year old Boxster S coming off lease. It's going to have low mileage, will be depreciated out, same $35k price, no thinking about it just get in and drive, but in 5 years it will be worth $30k, whereas the Nissan/Camaro/Inifinty will be worth $15k. And while you should just buy the car to enjoy, you have to consider resale as you won't own this next car forever, and in 5 years you don't want to be out all your equity and have to start almost all over again.

Phil

3. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Interesting opinions, angles, thoughts here. Mine: FerrariRich was smart enough to get the 308 he wanted. Enjoyed it, appreciated it, now has come to a new spot on the map. Smart enough to know this is the 'right' change for him.

Having said that, I agree with SPEEDY that in time, you'll be back. Enjoy the Z fully.

4. steve0826

steve0826 Karting

Jul 13, 2009
    Bellevue, WA
    What would be the cost, after having the Nissan for 7 years, to buy the 308 QV back?

Hope the Nissan goes up in value. Enjoy the 370Z!

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    +1 on this. Neat colour, Euro model...make your own deadline and tell everyone in FerrariAds (or wherever), your price and timeline.

Might be worth an additional discount on your Z ;)

6. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Like your avitar John, 2kool...give it up for my man James LOL.

Speaking of Nissan AKA Datsun, still have my two ate-ee Z. Slow by todays standard, but lots of fun to drive. Get lots of thumbs up. I know people are thinking - whatizit. Hey I can sell it form more than what it cost brand new.

BTW, I agree with your assessment John, just can't replace those icons, no matter how fast the new cars are.

Ciao,
    George

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's not James Brown, that's the reverend Cleophus James!

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #33 climb, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    I use a beefed up 1986 300zx turbo as a daily driver and love it. The Z has a great seating position and wonderful gearbox. Don't know exactly how much the engine was pumped but it feels like it's gonna lift off the ground at times. The electric mirrors and the emergency brake work well too..LOL! The 308 is a sunday driver.

Drove a 370z a few months ago and can see the appeal the car has to you...it's really nice and Nissans are just so darn reliable.

One thing you may consider is buying a used 350 for $12k or so and keeping the 308. A Z with 60 or 70k miles is almost as reliable as a new one and half (or more) the price.

9. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Rich,

Will you still popup at Captree in the future?

Sandy

10. jcinflorida

jcinflorida Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    John
    Its always sad to hear about someone having to part with something they like. This reminds me of when I sold my Fiat X-1/9 back in '85. I was heart-broken but needed the money. But I also knew then that I would someday get what I really wanted - which was a 308 GTSi. So now I am on the other end from you - just now getting my Ferrari. I have patiently waited 30 years to own one, to feel that feeling. Now I do (although I am still waiting for delivery - ugh). And when I do get her, well, I'm going to drive the sh*t out of her and enjoy her as much as I can (and here in Florida that is pretty often). I just hope that I never have to sell her, because that would be selling my dream. Best of luck to you and hope you enjoy your Z.

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The 370Z got some fantastic reviews by the major automobile reviewers so no doubt it's a formidable performer and a solid and reliable car. Good luck and enjoy!

12. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    enjoy that 370s fat a$$.

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    +1.
    Agree with the folks that the Ferrari will better hold it's value, but if the man wants a car that will run everyday and doesn't have to look out the window to see if it is raining than I can accept that.

Glad you enjoyed the ride in the 308, and have fun with the new Z.

MB

14. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting thread.
    I like the new 370Z, but it's not a Ferrari.
    However, I can totally understand having a car, with warranty and can be driven anywhere and not have to worry about it. Driving a Ferrari everywhere, is not something you can do without stressing about it. These cars are very special indeed.

But, I still drive my Z anywhere, park it anywhere, and don't worry about it. Which I never would do with my Ferrari.

No question about value of the car down the road........ I can't believe what a 370Z goes for today. But then again, I have a 1970 240Z, which can't be compared to the new car.

Just one other quick note, trading in your car at a Nissan dealer would be a hard sell, advertise it for a week here, and at least your baby will end up with someone that will appreciate it, put more money in your pocket, and stop a nice car ending up with some one that has no clue. It is just a week..... maybe someone will get a nice car for a decent price..........

15. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, thanks to some of you for the support.

FChat has been a great place to share my enthusiasm for the Ferrari.

Met some really nice people, got a lot of valuable help and advice, etc. Thanks FChat

But, I still don't get some people who have to badmouth situations, without fully understanding the circumstances. If everyone knew my situation fully (which I am not about to do in a public forum), they would understand my reasoning for this decision.

This kind of bad attitude, IMO is what is the cause of so much of the worlds problems. Why can't people just understand that not ALL people are the same. and we don't have to have the same likes and dislikes.

AND I will try to make it up to Captree soon. I haven't been there in a while.

16. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    What made you think that everyone in a Ferrari enthusiast forum would be supportive of trading in a 308 on a ricer? Why post your story in the first place?

17. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V

To be fair the members of this forum, who are by and large pretty mellow compared to other sections of Fchat but still love their cars, I'll have to rebut you on this one.

Without you telling us what these circumstances are, all we are left with is a guy who's trading in a classic car at a dealership for a new mass-produced, run-of-the-mill sports car. You get no sympathy points for the trade-in, as I've already pointed out that you're more than likely leaving money on the table on that deal. Some people don't care about losing hard-earned money, I do.

If you were selling your car to pay bills, buying a more practical car for your family, or moving on to another classic I doubt you'd hear a single peep of negativity as we're all car guys in the end, but understand circumstances.

You're in the 308/328 section. If you really wanted support on this decision, you should hit up 370ZForums or whatever there is for your new toy.

I personally don't begrudge your decision. Everyone should do what makes them happy. If you're going to be happier with a Z, by all means go for it; I had a '90 twin turbo that I really enjoyed for a couple of years.

What does irk me though is you being critical of some members' negative opinion of your decision which you equate to causing the world's problems. People are free to voice their opinions, especially when they don't agree with what you're doing. That being said, I wouldn't go posting on conservative message boards about how I think Obama is doing a good job, climate change is real, heathcare reform is a necessary evil, Glen Beck is the biggest grandstanding ****** this side of the Milky Way etc. without expecting some backlash.

Best of luck with trading in your 308 on a 370Z, I hope you get a good trade-in value, enjoy it and use it in good health.

Cheers,

Warren.

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I hadn't even heard of the 370. I researched it and it looks like a great value and the best z yet. Destined to be a classic.

This forum is full of sarcasm and good old fashioned ribbing. I personally wouldn't want it any other way, even if occasionally someone crosses a line.

Good luck with the new ride.

Dave

19. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #44 wingfeather, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Congrats! You will LOVE the drive-ability of the Nissan!!!

Sll the Ferrari private party (dealerships will not give you anything for an F car trade), and beat the crap out of the 370 to make sure you get your money's worth.

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #45 climb, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    I get so many positive comments on my Z. Some of those in the know will remind me that my generation Z31 was the unloved era but i don't care. The earlier 240s and 280s didn't have the sound deadening and the nice interior that mine does. The car has a heavy but sporty feel almost like a grand touring car. I'm not a convertable guy but i do like the T-tops.

I Took a drive down the coast for a fishing trip with the tops down this week in 73 degree weather without a care in the world about scratches or vandalism. When i take the 308 on the same drive i always spend the least amount of time in the gas station or whatever place i stop for fear of vandalism. Once at my condo i have to put a cover on the 308 and park it in the back of the covered parking area then drive my truck to the intracoastal dock i keep my kayak at. Before driving to the dock i always sit in my truck for a few minutes just in case someone in the complex saw me drive in and wants to get a "hands on" look at my car. With the Z i pull right up to the dock and just leave my z unlocked with tops down and jump right into the yak.

I love the 308 but having the Z as a substitute sure makes life easier.

Nothing wrong with wanting the trouble free approach to sports car ownership.

21. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    each to their own

Good luck anyway with yr new car.

i hope u hate the nissan and trade it back on a true thoroughbred.
    (ferrari)

22. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I bet there isnt a 370Z chat board like Fchat, and if there is i bet they dont talk about belt changing intervals as much.:)

23. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    You'll like the 370z, and there is a large tuner market for them. A coworker Turbo'd his 350z that has 119k miles on it, and it pulled 360hp at the rear wheels on the dyno with 8lbs of boost. The tuner set the car up to really scream, and it sounds more like a 60's open headers race car then turbo'd.

24. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    bravo argento
    100% true

25. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The sign of a good automotive online forum is a) a high signal-to-noise ratio, and b) a high level of collegiality. Negative comments about one member's choice of rides isn't collegial, nor does it enhance the overal enjoyment of others (ie. it's "noise"). Why say negative stuff when it's so easy to be collegial and positive??