Trading in my 308 QV | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Trading in my 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrari_rich, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Already did this and car has already been traded in.

2. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting, I wonder which Nissan dealer has a 308 available?

Someone mentioned putting a Ferrari motor into a early Z, when I first got my 240Z, I was young and thought it would be cool to modify it and put a 246 motor in it, and then put a little prancing horse on the back. Then when I looked into the cost of the motor, I changed my mind! Really not that much gain in horsepower anyway......I did keep it all stock, but when leaded fuel went away, I stuck a 280zx motor in it, and kept the original motor in the shop. As I have gotten older, I see the advantage of keeping these sports cars all original. I plan to keep the 328 going the same way........

3. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

The first Ferrari i saw was a Daytona. I remember riding my ten speed bike over to it while thinking it was a new 240Z of some kind (maybe 1974 or so). When i saw the Ferrari badge on the back of it i was hyptnotized and in love. I felt like i'd just seen a movie star or something. I instantly realized the Z must have been a take off on the Ferrari.

On the same subject an old man came up to me in the Z one day and said that car (meaning mine) looks like a Ferrari he had years ago. I asked him what kind but he couldn't remember the number. I don't know if he was bluffing or not but the connection was made by him as well.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    As the old saying goes, "A day late and a dollar short." In the end, it was his car and he was free to do with it as he saw fit, as it appears he did.

And on the "why doesn't someone snap this one up" line of thinking, my 308 and several others have been listed on Fchat and other lists for many months, and no one is jumping to "snap them up." My '78 is fully sorted, has a recent engine out belt service, all new hoses front to rear, Electromotive ignition, Tubi exhaust and a whole lot more. I've had a bunch of on-line tire-kickers, and so far no one has even come to look at it or make an offer. IMHO, my car is a great deal for someone looking for a nice, well sorted driver. Apparently, no one else does.

In this economy, it seems that folks are holding tight to the almighty buck. If he wanted his new car and decided the best route was to trade in the QV, more power to him. He avoided the grief of having to deal with the nonsense involved in selling one of these cars. It's just ironic how many people come out of the woodwork and criticize that decision and scold the guy for not offering it to the masses here on FChat when the very same folks turn up their noses at the cars that are available.

Enjoy the 370Z (even though I think you should have gotten a Corvette).

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Steve - I came to look at it! :)

And I will say - a fine piece of equipment, one that I dearly wanted (and still want) to purchase. However, with the economy (and being employed in an industry that is seeing massive consolidation and downsizing), I am nervous about my sustained employment. To your point, I need to hold on to some of my stored acorns for the time being.

On another note, I did get my Jag to Mr. Lippincott per your recommendation, and I've been driving the wheels off of her, so I am very happy in that regard.

And yes, I do agree with you about the trade in. He may have gotten less, but he didn't have to deal with the nonsense.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well, there's the problem, you're afraid to drive it!

As someone else said, and I'll paraphrase, "savin' her for someone else?" :D

7. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hmmmm! I always thought the original Z borrowed it's lines from a Maserati Ghibli.

Caio,
    George

8. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    is this thread still going

this is the worst thread in the history of the universe.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ^
    and you jsut added to it...lol

If he wants out, so be it....whatever the reason...a Ferrari is not for everyone....some people after they get a bill worry about putting in miles...or they went on and put a few miles and relaize they need a TON to make it right....he had it for 4 yrs, got what he wanted out of it...and its not for him....he already stated he likes the Nissan because its faster, and he can just drive it.....a ferrari is just not for him anymore....

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I've been running my 280Z on unleaded with no problems whatsoever.

Ciao,
    George

11. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He got exactly what everyone wants from a car. He got to enjoy it for 4 years, and now he's selling/trading it for probably not much depreciation. Doesn't sound bad to me.

12. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    To answer several questions:

No, I did not need to sell for the $$$$

Sold my house, and garage goes with it. No more space for the cars. AND was tired of maintaining, insuring, and storing cars I was getting tired of.

A trade-in was definately the easiest, the tax credit, and no nit picking/tire kickers asking about tool kits, service records etc., wasting my time.

AND I like to drive. The 370Z drives awesome, and really makes the 308 feel old.

I also do NOT like the attention the Ferrari gets, I'm not a show off type, and actually don't like the attention and stares. That's one reason I'd NEVER own a red one. Way too "look at me" for my tastes. grigio/gray was nice.

13. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #88 Neonzapper, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    NEWSFLASH...they weren't looking at "you." Good choice on the Z. Now they won't be looking at your car either.

14. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    That was great...I love it!!

Better he sells it to someone who will appreciate it.

15. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    +1

16. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Try an NSX.

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    #92 davem, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    My first Mondial i traded in a year later for exactly what i paid for it. With that and $1200 savings in sales tax i was quite pleased.
    Was easier selling to the dealer than most anyone else. No PPI etc....

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I like those colours also. Mmmm, the Nissan dealer... , Massapequa? Smithtown? ;)

19. redrocks

redrocks Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    dealer... Roslyn??

20. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    In the beginning I was supportive, but now I think this guy is not too smart. Dealer trade-in values on exotics are stupid low. What gives?!

21. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Missed the boat with this buy... GTR

22. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Funny you should mention boat and GTR in the same sentence.

23. LotusS4

LotusS4 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    Well just to give everyone a heads up on the final landing spot for this QV, it landed in my garage to reside next to my 355 fiorano. (well actually at my office for now)

I am a local car dealer who normally buys and sells your daily drivers but most wholesalers who buy the cars traded into local dealers know I collect Classic/exotics for myself. One call from the wholesaler who buys the vehicles traded into the nissan dealer was all it took to tell him to drive it right over to my office.

I did not know any history on it but now with the help of this tread I will hopefully be able to get some of its history from the previous owner.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning alot from the 308/328 owners in this forum.

John

24. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Good for you John. I'm a dealer that aquired my 308QV the same way...13 years ago!
    Enjoy it in good health.

Spang

25. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    i repeat!