Trading stocks is making me bald | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trading stocks is making me bald

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by androza, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Daniel--- Now you know what some of us go through day after day...after day....LOL. I'm a derivatives trader for over 18 years and regardless of how successful you are, the mental fatique is beyond belief....I get on average of 3 hours sleep a night and my ulcer pills are as much a part of my daily staple as my daily vitamins.

As far as day trade goes, man....that's like picking up pennies in rush hour traffic. Unless you are disciplined in picking your entry&exit point (and even that....) the big fund traders will beat on you like somebody else's bad dog.

2. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    John, do you have AIM or AOL?

-DC

3. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    It sounds to me that if you are asking for real time charts then you maybe don't have the right software. With the right trading plateform you should have all of that. I use tradestation and it is great. You can trade 100 shares for just $1. 1000 shares only costs around $8. You should be starting small 100 or even 50 shares at a time that way you won't be trading scared. You can enter a trade and see if the stock behaves the way you thought it would without freaking out. If you enter 1000 share trade and it goes against you real fast you could be down $500 bucks before you know what hit you. First see if you can make money trading 50 or 100 shares. Then when you can do that you can try to make real money and up your lot sizes, 200, 500, 1000, etc. You first rule every day should be to protect your trading capital. 90% of daytrading is just sitting back and watching.

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    AIM name: JSinNOLA

Translation: John Suarez in New Orleans Louisiana

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Someone said it right, you need to be Mr.Spock but its hard when your own money is on the line, you second guess yourself, change the plan extend stops or remove them, it sucks being down a few grand and getting close to margin calls, you close out for a big loss and low and behold the market moves back in your original positions direction and it would have made you a nice profit.

I would reccomend options, it significantly reduces your stress if you know what your max loss is, puts and calls only work in markets that are moving, sideways action or consolidation areas you can write them and take advantage of time decay. You can also use them to offset losses in regular trading.

6. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Whats the difference between regular stock and stock options? Any good websites for more info on them?

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Bravo I jumped on to SIRI just a little over a buck and share and dumped it when the market started to correct at $3.10. But looking at it i am now kicking myself in the a$$ as it is now up to $3.75

Oh well that is life on the stock market.

Rob

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Recently i have backed away from day trading since my schedule at work and not being able to access online brokerages at work has forced myself back into a short term to long term trading pattern.

The main thing here is that you need to do a lot of researching before you make a decision. if you factor all of the time you spend researcing a lot of your free time is now gone. day trading is not for everyone.. plain and simple.

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

go to http://www.cboe.com
    options are the right to purchase or sell stock or futures at a set price,the caveat is they have a time factor, sort of betting a stock will hit a price by a certain date, the advantage is on straight puts and calls you have a set price how much you will lose but the disadvantage is you lose time value or the option gets worth less as it goes towards its expiration, its bad if the stock is not moving, but you can also write them, sort of like being the bookie if you think the stock is not going to make a move in a particular direction or just go sideways.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Option sellers be aware; you can only make the premium you recieve from selling said option, losses are unlimited. Option buyers can only lose the premium paid.
    It's by no means a one -way bet selling options and your clearer will charge you more initial margin because of the inherent risk.

11. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Normally, I don't give advice because I really have no idea regarding the knowledge base of the target (read "message boards can blow the big one as we've seen F chat in the past").

So, given that, here are a few statements worth considering (or not)... If you are really interested in getting involved in trading, you may want to consider taking a few courses (or getting a degree) in Financial Markets, perhaps with an emphisis on financial engineering. Some may consider this overkill and maybe it is, there are other certifications which are worth while, but the names escape me at this time.

You may also want to think about getting your 'foot in the door' of a trading firm so you can see what goes on behind the scenes and how folks make a living at it - without reinventing the wheel and making costly mistakes.

Generally, this isn't a get rich quick scheme - remember you're probably trading against a bunch of computers; by the time you reach for the mouse you're too late.

This isn't to say "you'll never make money and shouldn't get invoked", I have a relavitve who has made some good money trading long term, but day trading can be an entirely different story.

Good Luck.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Let's not over-egg the pudding here !
    For what most of these guys are talking about, scalping stocks intra-day, you don't need a Degree of any kind.Common sense, a good grounding in Economics, a decent trading and charting system and balls will do just fine.
    If you want to trade for a blue chip Wall St firm/ hedge fund, then a Degree is a must have.