Trailering 355 | FerrariChat

Trailering 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I need to trailer my 355. I have acces to a low ramp enclosed race trailer, but it is a long ways away.

2 questions:

1) Has anyone trailered their 355 on a U Haul trailer ? I know clearance may be an issue.

2) Anyone in the SoCal have a low ramp race trailer they would be willing to rent to me for a day ?

Thanks !

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are in SoCal, contact Socal1. He is a local stooge.

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    The U hauls work fine, just back the car on.
    You may need to block the ramps up a bit depending how low you are

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Call Deegee "time" here on fchat hes a 348 racer might get him on a backhaul.

I did see a post on here from someone trailering on a uhaul.

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    308 GTB likes this.
  6. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Thanks for the quick responses gents. I am going to give the U-haul trailer a go. I have a 2006 F-250 Powerstroke to pull it with.

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You will have no issues at all, the car is so light you wont know its back there

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    As an FYI, I once tried to rent a uhaul trailer for my 308. They would not rent me one, because "ferrari 308" was not in their computer.... Curious SoCAl1, do you tell them it's a ferrari when renting?

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I rented online and think I said Camaro. They know me at my local place

goose22b likes this.
  10. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    Do NOT use U-haul. There is no clearance, cannot get the car on the trailer because of the angle, even with the longer ramps. I took the trailer off, put the ramps on a speed bump and cranked op the trailer as high as it could go. It went on but slid when I jammed on the brakes and destroyed the bottom of my aero kit; the clearance is not there. Getting it off was easier because my driveway is higher than the street. Call a reputable moving company, it's not worth it to risk damaging the car.

Boaf

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I suspect you may want to make sure it is not raining. Looks like the only way out of the car once on the trailer is through the window.

Can you raise the window after you get out?

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Obviously people have done it and can be done. I sold my 308 to a guy who took it home on a uhaul. If it's someones only choice, it can be done with a little preparation and planning.

1. extend the ramps/angle with blockage and additional ramps or lumber material
    2. drop 2"x10" lumber planks int he tire channels to raise the car to clear the front end plate/cross bar on the front of the trailer that hit your spoiler.
    3. do not rely on the chains/tie downs provided with the trailer. Get some quality ratchet tie downs

While not my first choice either, sometimes its the only way. And as a second FYI budget has flat bed car trailers but I'm not sure they rent those trailer by themselves, usually a package with a budget truck.

goose22b likes this.
  13. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I bet if you were really hard up for some added clearance, could you deflate the trailer tires, then re inflate them after loading?

14. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI— craigslist— a couple guys renting 20 ft enclosed trailers. Fountain Valley. $60 day

Suggest always looking for some kind of ramp, curb, or driveway to back up to for loading. Or extra planks.

Suggest using a couple extra real tie downs if renting UHaul.

15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    please tell me you have a video of your car in action! (sorry to hijack)

sjd

16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  17. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And the 355 Daily Trivia Award goes to SoCal.

Using the U-Haul was absolutely no problem. I have towed my 28 foot / 10k pound Boat for the last 16 years.

So this was no problem, including loading and unloading.

goose22b and SoCal1 like this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have never used a U-haul car trailer, but have my own enclosed and flat bed car trailers. My advice from experience...

1) You can make any trailer flat enough for any car (I had a custom made carbon front splitter that stuck out a foot and only 1 inch clearance) with enough boards and if you can back up to a little rise in ground (usually grass mound).

2) I never used the over tire straps, I guess they work, but I prefer through the wheel as I imagine more secure no forward and back movement.

3) They always say don't haul with car in gear as could damage trans.

4) Keep in mind road debris coming off the truck tires.

19. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I used a U Haul trailer to bring my 348 home. Biggest issue was the high flange/lip on inner aspect of the treadways the car rides on. They were too high, so a long board an inch or so thick was needed on both sides to raise the car up to clear the lip. You'll also need boards and blocks of wood under them to get a decent angle on the loading ramps. If you can find a paved area with a small hill that you can back the trailer up to to improve the ramp angle that really helps. Lastly, if you want low stress and safest loading buy an electric winch at Harbor Freight to slowly load the car in a much more controlled manner.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app