Transport Carriers | FerrariChat

Transport Carriers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m presenting my cars at the Cavallino Classic this coming January and I’m currently making final transport plans. I’ve used Intercity a few times and I’ve been mostly happy with them but I thought I would ask for opinions on other options. I’d be particularly interested to hear from those who have used Intercity but found another carrier much better and why. I’d appreciate any thoughts.

2. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My understanding is that Ferrari distributes its new cars from the receiving port in NJ to all of the dealers using Intercity. That’s a pretty good endorsement. From there, however, many dealers choose to use Plycar to ship directly to customers due to a purported better selection of routes. My car was shipped cross country using Plycar and no complaints here—would use them again. I initially got a quote from Intercity but they were a good bit more expensive and quoted a longer delivery time too. (“No affiliation” with either carrier FYI.)

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Don't fix what's not broken, Jeff :)

Seriously, all of these guys have good stories and bad. It really seems like a case by case situation. I've had 50/50 success.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I never miss an opportunity to bash Exotic, but I think they're out of business now anyway.

I've always had good results with intercity.

5. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Use Intercity, although they book months out now due to the Elt laws. I have strayed, sometimes gotten lucky, sometimes not, but Intercity has always been good.

6. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    January is the WORST. every truck is on its way to / from Barette Jackson auction.
    I book with Intercity jut after Christmas. comes late January, they still had no idea if it is another month or not. Had to cancel.
    this last time I used Intercity (just past week), it was a 6 weeks wait.
    Passport was a 3 weeks wait.

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I used Select One and was very happy; they kept me up-to-date every step of the way. Here is the contact

Jay Colunga

Operations/Customer Service

888 West Big Beaver Rd Suite 350

Troy, MI 48083

248-972-8605- Direct

734-558-6299- Mobile

734-413-8858- Fax

[email protected]

8. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    If you have a good rapport with Intercity, I would stay with them. Always had good results with them. I did have poor results with the one reference by the second poster. They moved my Ferrari to different rigs, trailers, and drivers (said would not) and then overcharged.

Much is the driver for any hauler. I always tip them well at pick up and delivery. It is a very difficult gig for them.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Check out my thread in this forum, I don't know about past, but Intercity and Horseless Carriage just recently screwed us last minute at our Miami Event. Nate came through big time last minute great rates and great care of our cars from my 328 to a 812. Picked up Dallas 2 days before delivery in Miami and they loaded cars Sunday morning and already back to Dallas on Monday.

[email protected]
    816-326-7290
    https://totalcaretrans.com/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/enclosed-transport.586330/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Try Thomas Sunday I know he always has a few truck in Floridas in January for Mecums Kissimme so it would be an easy run to get yours he is out of Carlyle Pa and has about 10 trucks.. always have had good luck with them..

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Thanks, Larry.

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    If anyone knows of a good individual transporter they would recommend I’d love to give that some consideration as well. Regardless, all the great info is much appreciated.

13. VA_Alfa

VA_Alfa Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    Full Name:
    Alex Sullivan
    If you are on the eastern half of the US, go with Applewood Motorcar. They do lots of caring for Lamborghini. I’ve had good luck with them.

http://www.applewoodmotorcar.com/

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I used them recently when I couldn't get intercity and they were ok, but a little disorganized when arranging my pickup.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What are Elt laws?

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've used them twice. First time was not awesome - my buddies' 458. Car came totally covered in dust (there shop is on a dirt road and they often unload / load / store cars there while arranging routes. The driver climbed thru the window with big work boots on and scuffed the leather. The owner (Bruce) did refund us $500 to resolve issues. I used them another time and had an excellent experience. A third time I gave them the gig and two days prior they cancelled and said they are not going to be in the area.

Seems like a common trend with transporters - it's luck of the draw if the experience will be good and if they will even honor accepting the gig.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll think twice before using Applewood again.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  18. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    I have used Reliable and they are fantastic with owner operators who are careful and expert ... never had the slightest issue and to say I am hyper carful is an understatement.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting - I requested a quote from Reliable on their website and I never received one. Then, I called them. I was forwarded to their scheduling department to get a quote and I left a voicemail. I never heard back from anyone. This was three days ago. Odd.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    All the above is why many established restoration companies have their own transporters, be it a single car (enclosed) trailer or fleet of semis.
    Only others I or my clients have ever used are small independent (owner/operator) haulers with 1-3 car enclosed rigs. Costs a little more, but worth it.

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Can you please share who some of those small independents are, either here or send me am PM?

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tim - could not agree more. Much better to build a relationship with a private guy.

Jeff - these guys tend to be regional so you probably need to try and find one in your area.

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I'll check with ones I know, but see below...
    +1
    Many don't do nationwide, as they seem to keep busy with regional jobs.

24. VA_Alfa

VA_Alfa Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Waynesboro, VA
    Full Name:
    Alex Sullivan
    [QUOTE="Dave rocks, post: 146284641, member: 126975"

Seems like a common trend with transporters - it's luck of the draw if the experience will be good and if they will even honor accepting the gig.[/QUOTE]

I agree Dave. It's tough these days to find someone dependable and takes excellent care of the cargo.

25. Reacherman1022

Reacherman1022 Karting

Dec 13, 2016
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Jack Reacher
    I can strongly recommend Pilot Transport in Brighton, Michigan. I know they have many times transported Ferraris from port to Brighton, then to dealers, this was a few years ago. They do Transport many GM test track vehicles. I used to deal with Angie.