Transporting a car from California to Florida.... | FerrariChat

Transporting a car from California to Florida....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAMMER, Aug 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Greetings: Any advice on transporting a car from California to Florida. Where should I look to get a good deal? What should I expect to pay? Thanks in advance!

2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Intercity Lines, I've shipped cars across country many times with them and it's always around 1800-2000. No matter what you do, make sure it's shipped enclosed and that you work with a shipper directly and not through a broker. You always want to be in touch with the driver directly - with intercity, you only talk to the driver from pickup to delivery.

3. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Got my first quote for $1500, any other suggestions?

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I used intercity for the same trip. They aren't the cheapest but in this case you get what you pay for.

5. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    I agree with the Intercity recommendation. I have used them twice and would highly recommend them (and they were very nice to work with).

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    yes...use InterCity. I have indirectly had experience with two others. They both ripped off accessories from the cars that later needed to be replaced at considerable expense.

7. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Just brought a porsche from LA to richmond va in June used Thomas Sundays transport, the only one I could find that does not down load along the way and transfer to another truck if they need to. Have used fedex, intercities,many times shipping a Daytona until had a few issues nothing major just irritating with minor damages..paid $2000 for inside transport very happy , car was picked up within 2 days of call in and delivered in 5 days and perfect when delivered, I will used them next month to ship the Daytona in for its maintanence.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's a thread about transport most weeks - try some of them for other recommendations - a search on intercity should give a good selection

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    $1500 from coast to coast is reasonable for covered transport. I think I paid more than that in 2005 when I had a car shipped from NC to CA.

10. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes that is a good quote. Not going to get better than that for covered from reputable shipper. I would not recommend going for the cheapest or shopping entirely on lowest price on this kind of thing. Too many horror stories and things can go wrong.

11. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I recently paid $1700 for CA to northeast FL with Intercity. Car arrived without a scratch. Driver was a consummate professional.

Cost really depends on whether you select closed or open carrier. As you'd expect, open carrier is much cheaper. You can get a sense of pricing on www.uship.com

12. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    USHIP. I would just request a closed carrier..

13. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I used Plycar to ship from Scottsdale Az to Fl. I got a good price but it was arranged by the F dealer. The car arrived as scheduled and without any issues.

The driver was very careful with the car and even used a quick detailer to get any finger prints off. As others have said, enclosed trailer only.

The price you were quoted seems fair if not a bit low. Maybe that's a function of low fuel prices.

Go with a know quality carrier and save yourself potential aggravation.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

14. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Drive it yourself. Can be a great, fun experience!!

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

$1500 is a very good price from a very reputable carrier. All you have to do is read a few of the horror stories here to know sticking with someone like Intercity is worth a couple extra bucks.

16. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I'm looking for a good shipper from Florida to New york. I got a quote from "Reliable Shipping" and it was for $1500 . Is there any better solution at maybe $1000.
    Recommendations please.

17. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Haha good luck getting that trip for $1000.

End of summer is busy time for moving cars in orbit of Florida because of all the seasonal people moving.

They can and will price gouge you.

I ended up with a husband and wife team from Miami to Michigan for $1400. That was back this spring.

18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I used a broker to ship my car from Northern Cal to the Dallas Area.

$1200 + $100 for the extra set of wheels and 2 extra sets of tires. ($1300 Total).

Specified an enclosed auto transport. Pickup was within 1 day of contacting broker (I think I just got lucky here). The major lines (Intercity, etc.) were quoting me about a month out before pickup.

Even though it was a broker, I was in constant contact with both the broker and the driver. I asked for and received photos of the loading. I also received constant updates from both the driver and the broker as the transport progressed.

Car arrived on-time, with no damage, with no difficulties - direct to my neighborhood.

All-in-All, I was very pleased with the service, and the price was great.

Broker was Angles Moving Autos (Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with them, other than using them for transport).

Sid