Trapped in my ZR1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trapped in my ZR1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments. As a nation we simply cannot let our manufacturing capabilities just go away.

2. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    Why not just push the button?

3. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    He did, it didn't operate properly.

4. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    I thought it's fixed, and he's still pulling the lever.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The ZR1 has a dead battery. This is why the doors would not open. The levers to open the doors work perfectly since they are cable. I did not know they existed untill people on this forum told me where to find them. I am very thankful for their help.

I was able ro use my jump box and start the car. with the motor running everything as you would expect works including the door opening and windows go down.

I just in the garage cleaning the battery terminals and putting a battery tender on it. Maybe that will help :) Hard to believe the battery would go dead after 2 years. Things happen :)

my only problem now is will will not turn over on the car battery. I need the jump box.
    Easy problem to fix.

I will keep the car because of the helpful forum advice.

Lee

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Not unusual if the car has not been driven a lot, even if on a tender. May not have been the best battery to begin with. You may want to consider replacing the battery, or at least have it checked out. A good battery shop can test it and tell you if the battery is good or need replacing. Been there and done that a few times. Fortunately, a battery is a cheap fix.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    William, the 5.5 will be the standard Corvette motor and should put out about 440 HP on the base car. Also the car will be on a diet and should be ok. The issue with Govt Motors is another matter, GM has some of the best engineers in the business, the problem is a guy like Akerson in charge. He is a latter day Ron Zarella, more marketing driven as opposed to engineering and really not the guy GM needs now.

9. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I'd like to know what this COMARO is you keep referring to ?

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    They are sold with "Cameros" LOL.

11. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    #36 cs s60, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

Misunderstanding, I thought you meant it was fixed and you're still using the levers.

You might want to consider taking the battery to a competent dealer. My battery was so dead the tender wouldn't work. I took the battery to the dealer. They tested it and found it to be fine, it just needed to be fully charged. They did it for free, and I never had a problem again. I just hook up the tender if it will be sitting for more than a week.

Also, might want to check corvetteforum.com Just about everything you need to know can be found there.

12. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
  14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #39 leead1, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    As other posters suggested it was a dead battery. When this happens it locks everything. If you are in the car you are in unless you know the manual door openers and where they are.

The new battery and oil change were not very expensive. These cars are the bargain of the century.

Again thanks to all of the posters that told me where to find the emergency "get out of Dodge" Buttons.

Lee

15. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I see your point of view on this, Lee, and I certainly was not trying to totally just high-jack the thread & trash on unions...my post was intended to have a humorous edge meant as a "poke".

I'm sure there are many American union workers that do take great pride in their work, I just kinda have an overall feeling that there are many that are simply wanting white collar executive pay & benefits while doing an assembly line job...and more interested in watching the clock solely focused on when it's "Miller time" than in actually doing a top-notch job.

I have owned a Corvette (1984) & it really wasn't a horrible car...

16. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Yes and it was a good poke :)

Yes there are workers union and non union who simply want to punch a clock. In my view if that happens it is the managers fault. I have seen this in America and around the world in other countries.

I have also seen management who treat workers like cannon fodder. These people have lifes, family and dhould be treated with respect. So it goes both ways.

Hey lets get back to cars :)

Lee

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #42 kverges, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    Lee, you seem like a good guy and good natured, too, but I was also surprised to find you did not know about, nor did the dealer know about, the mechanical emergency door release.

You are obviously blessed with the ability to own many exotic cars but have you lost the real passion that achieving these dream machines entails to most of the rest of us?

I also have more than my share of cars but I devour every bit of information I can before the purchase and then study every feature of the car once I own it.

I humbly submit that you've either lost that lovin' feeling or have too many cars to give them the attention and respect they deserve. Maybe you should thin the herd to get focus on the cars that remain?

18. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Everybody has their own style to how they collect cars. I think it is a little arrogant to think that everybody ought to do it 'your' way. I know people who buy a car simply because they think it looks great, or know it has historical significance. Some of them look into the literature, and others feel the car speaks for itself. You aren't wrong on how you do it, and ultimately, neither is anybody else.

There is truth in that when you broach a certain quantity of cars, it becomes exponentially more difficult to know everything about every car. Truthfully, I've been caught out more than once by Ferrari's goofy anti-theft start up procedure on their newer cars; and been at a loss when attempting to latch the seat belt on a Cobra R... or locate the hydrolic lift on an Enzo....and countless other items. When you only deal with a small handful of cars on a regular basis, it is quite easy to know them intimately.

19. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

This is a most excellent thread. Just had to say that.

20. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Correct..

Isaac missed the sarcasm in my post..

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Happens now and again :)

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Issac we should be seeing prototypes of the C7 pretty soon.

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I should ask certain people when it is likely to pop up... you know, the first C6 spyshot was taken about 1.5 miles from my house... and I had a spyshot of an early z06 prototype a while afterward. It proved not to be as interesting to the media for some reason.

24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I remember in High School catching the then new C4 Corvette out in 1982. But the best was meeting the late James Schefter, from all Corvettes are Red with the C5 Prototype prior to the introduction at the LA and Detroit Auto Show.

25. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #50 leead1, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    Yes I was successful. I worked three jobs to pay for engineering school and did very well in the busness world with the same grit.

but you are vorrect about the passion but not in the way you discribe it. I buy cars because I like the power, looks and driving performance. As I get older I have no interest in reading every sentenance about a car. I would rather drive it and experience it for my self and then decide. When I was young I did what you recommend and read every thing. I feel blessed that I can now experience them for myself.

In a few years age will slow my ability to drive fast powerful cars but not yet :)

I hate to ruin your day but I am going to look at a 12C Miclaren however it is spelled. If I buy it I will send you an article about it so we both can be happy. :)

to the other posters supporting me I thank you. I do not beleive this gentlmen was trying to be mean only helpul and young. We all were there in the past.

PS: I probably should not tell the forum, that on some cars I cannot even figure out some of the "gizmos" That is okay the cars perform just as well!

regards

Lee