Trapped in my ZR1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Trapped in my ZR1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    If you get the MP4-12C I think you will need a co-pilot to be sure you dont press a wrong button or get permanently entombed in the car. I'll help out if need be.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    C4 came out in '83, as an '84 MY.

3. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I hope you get the MP4-12C, Lee! It looks & sounds like a great car.

If you get it...post pictures...& drive it the way God intended her to be driven! :)

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    #54 Senna1994, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    There was no 1983 MY Corvette, and the first pictures and magazine articles on the 1984 Corvette were presented in late 1982. I have all the original Magazines from Autoweek to Road and Track's guide to the all new Corvette also released in 1982. I saw the car in middle of 1982 with Michigan Manufacturers plates driving on Sunset Blvd. near Carney's back then. They were also holding the cars at the old GM Plant in I believe Wilmington prior to release. I know this because as a kid in high school, me and my buddies talked the security guard at the plant into letting us take a closer look at the car late in the evening.

5. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Love it!

Sometimes young boys can go where auto journalists can't.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    It is actually a hilarious story as I convinced my two best friends Brad and Ron, to drive too the plant where GM had closed, I think it was Wilmington Plant to see if the cars were hidden there. Remember, the C4 was a big thing back than and most Corvette owners were a different demographic back then. Anyway, the Sales Manager at the old Harry Mann Chevrolet told us that he had heard the cars were being stored there and would be released to the dealers at one time. So we go to the outside of the Plant and sure enough there is a few hundred of the All New Corvettes parked without any thing hiding them. We go up to the security gate and there is a Young Security Guy that was a rather large guy. We asked him if there was anyway to see the cars up close, and he says come back later tonight. So we come back at 11:00 PM on a school night and it was raining earlier, we ask the guy if we can see the cars and he says first to go buy him a Double Cheeseburger, some fries, some onion rings and a Shake and he would think about it. So we did, and he let us in and the cars had there doors unlocked. We got to sit in them and the since there was no one around the Security Guard after finishing the food took one of the cars that I guess had the keys inside and drove it around the lot. We never forgot that night and those two guys that went with me 28 years ago or so are still two of my best friends.

7. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    lucky day for that dealership.

I think ya over-reacted by selling it.

Most of the best things in life are completely unsafe.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What a great story!

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great story indeed! There was a lot of interest in what the new C4 Corvette would look like.
    Regarding the 1983 Corvette if I remember correctly there were at least 25 built and 1 still exists today. That one (painted white) was found in Australia at a scrap yard. Why would a prototype Corvette be in Australia? Well it seems an Australian company supplied brake parts for the new C4 program and they had a car there for development work. After that the car was sent to the scrap yard rather than spending money to ship it back to the USA.
    CH

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #60 of2worlds, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Keith no doubt about it the way things are going that could happen to me.

My current fear now is the 458 automatic doors. The good news is I have a manual the bad news it is in the front trunk and of no use to me if I get trapped again. I need to find the manual door open buttons! :)

Lee

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Awesome pictures and story, Thank you.

I remember the Ugly Mule that Jim Dunne took a photo of that was on the cover of C&D back in 1980, it was a copper colored car. Their was so much enthusiasm at the time for the all new Corvette. Unfortunately, they should have waited for the 1985 as there were so many problems with the 84's from overly hard suspension, to Cross Fire Injection, and all matters of quality issues. I bought an 1986 and that car had a lot of problems as well, my 1990 was an excellent car that had most everything that was lacking in refinement finally up to snuff.

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    If they read the forum, they would realize that Lee has decided to keep the ZR1.

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I love the ZR1 and will keep the car now that I know the door opening trick

I still think it is a bad and potentialy dangerous system. I closed the door and it locked by itself, I did not lock it. Then the car would not start. The battery and car is only 2 years old and yes I always change batteries every three years. The car trapped me!

Think of the Ford GT in comparison. It has automatic door locks but you can always and I mean always open the door with the door handle.

Now I have to look at the other cars I own to see if I could have the same problem and if so where are the emergency switches, where do they hide them and what do they look like.

To be honest I never even dreamed of a problem like this. I did have a close call with a friend and passenger. I left the car to get a coke and my friend got trapped in because the car locked as I walked away. He could not figure out how to open the door and could not put down the window. It scared the wits out of him. A dumb system.

The gizmos I was referring to are items like on the ferrari has the ability to store up to 1000 cds. I have no clue how to do it or care. I set the radio station on all cars and never leave it.

Life sure is interesting :) I never heard of these publications but for the most part they got it right :)

Lee

16. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Don't feel bad, Lee. I have done some seriously silly things because I didn't know better. It happens. As I get older (I'm 42) I tend to forget how to operate certain things if I am not around them much.

I can tell stories of junk I do that would make you laugh. Like drill into the power supply of my home intercom system the other day trying to run HDMI cables. Never occurred to me to look on the other side of the wall to see where it was! Isn't the first time, won't be the last.

Rock on!

RMX

17. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #69 leead1, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Thank you for the kind word and moral support. I honestly do not think I did anything silly.

The drove the car 5o miles the day before and the next day it locked as I shut the door and would not start. The poor design trapped me.

3 of my cars that I have checked have automatic doors but you can always open the door with the door handle even with a dead batttery. Not only is the Vette a bad design it is potentially dangerous.

Who would know you have to find a special door switch somewhere in a car, on the floor and in the dark that has a different look and is hidden on the side, Just stupid!

Now that I know where it is it is okay at least for me. If the car was not so much fun to drive and powerful I would dump it for something else. Chevy did a great job on designing the car dynamics. The engineer who did the door locking system should have his knuckles smacked :)

Lee

18. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Fair enough, maybe "silly" wasn't the best word...more like in my case I did something a certain way because I didn't know any better (I should have looked first). Won't happen again, I'm just glad I didn't electrocute the hell out of myself!

You live, you learn I guess. LOL. :)

RMX

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #71 leead1, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    I have done things like that. it happens to everybody. :)

I did not mean to over react. I just wanted people to know that in my opinion it is a serious design error. I will look at my other cars when I get a chance to see if others share the issue

I fear for GM that someone could sue them. lets say A ZR1 gets rear ended and catches on fire. The battery is now dead or gone and the doors are locked and cannot be opened. Meanwhile the owners and God forbid his 4 year old daugther are in the car burning alive and the doors will not open and they go not know about the switches. If the lawyers can say most cars have doors that can always be opened like my Turbo Porsche or the Ford Gt etc they could loose the suit because of bad engineering.

Please do not get me wrong I wish no harm to GM and I surly was not hurt but it could happen.

I did engineering and with my staff designed machinery across 197 countries. If I was involved in this at GM I would be shaking in my boots. In engineering they have two modes "normally open or normally closed". It could have been designed so it is normally open i.e. lose your battery or electrics and the doors open. The ZR1 stay closed or normally closed.

Just poor engineeering. Those are two ways to avoid the issue by design.

I had better add that this is my opinion in case GM is listening and feels Litigious. According to Federal SLAPP laws it is freedom of speech and protected by the Consitution.

Lee

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Lee, you might be surprised how often internal corporate policies at major companies (whom I wont name) is violated because in the search to make things easier, things like this were completely overlooked... EG for every "on switch" there is a corresponding "off switch" and visa-versa.

Because of the battery issue, that is why we often leave the windows down on the C6 Corvettes in the collection. Nobody wants to crawl through the hatch. If only the batteries always lasted 36 months.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Has GM Design Chief Ed Welburn ever visited 'The Collection' for some inspiration? He is a huge fan of Bill Mitchell's 1959 Stingray racer for example.
    Sort of one stop shopping with that array present...
    CH

22. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Not while I've been there, but it is likely he has. The '59 Stingray is part of the Heritage Center, however, Ken does own the first V8 Corvette made, with the Duntov Cam... raced by Smokey Yunick, a 1954 car driven to 162 mph :)

A fair number of designers have stopped in over the last three years. The 59 Stingray is gorgeous :)

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Isaac

I suspect you are right I would be surprised. :)

Lee