Travel Information to Mexico City | FerrariChat

Travel Information to Mexico City

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Face76, Nov 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My 25 yo daughter will be travelling alone to Mexico City on 2/21/2015 to see a Korean Pop Music concert. We live in the Midwest, USA.

Any information on travel would be apreciated. We have never travelled to Mexico City so our unfamiliarity is of no help to her. She is meeting some US friends there for the concert.

Specifically, any airlines to avoid? Best time to buy tickets or is now as good as it will get? Where to stay in Mexico City (concert is at Mexico City arena)? Best choices for transportation? She will only be there a couple days.

Thanks in advance.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Face76,

While I'm not mexican nor ever lived in Mexico, I have good mexican friends.

Regarding airlines, and once your daughter is travelling to the nation's capital, major carriers fly to Mexico City and they're pretty reliable. Aeroméxico and Aeroméxico Connect, the national carriers, are pretty solid and reliable, being one of the four founding fathers of the Skyteam Alliance. So no worries there. Typically, airlines divulge promotions to increase aircraft occupation during the low season. Xmas is coming and it's high season, so don't know if you'll be able to find any within the next couple of months or so.

Mexico City is a violent city. I have lived in Brazil, know the US, live in Europe and my girlfriend is latin american. Crime rates are quite high compared to your average US or European city. It's a very different world from the Midwest.

No reason to be paranoid though, if one follows some straightforward precautions:

- Choose a premium neighborhood to stay (check hotels' locations).
    - Travel preferrably by cab, choosing reputed companies. Ask the hotel to call one for you. Avoid choosing one randomly in the street and refuse any unsolicited approach by a driver.
    - Refrain from using bling objects: gold watches, showing off your wallet, keeping your camera in your hand, necklaces, bracelets, etc draw unecessary attention towards you.
    - Always suspect strangers, especially by night and near public transportation.
    - Know and study your itinerary. Read a lot about the country and learn with other tourists' experiences. Don't deviate much from your plan.
    - Enjoy the views, the cafes, the restaurants and the scenery in a relaxed fashion. It's a great city to know and you can enjoy it to the fullest without major concerns if you observe basic safety precautions. It's not the US or Europe so you will definately need to adjust your conduct, which isn't the same as to say you need to keep an eye over your shoulder at all times. But tourists are a potential target in any city, let alone a latin american city, let alone a young girl travelling alone. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kind regards and all the best,

Nuno.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Thanks Nuno

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You're welcome! I'll be able to be of service if you ever visit Brazil, a country that I love, lived there for a couple of years and still have close ties with. I'm not much older than your daughter (I'm 29) and I believe a trip to latin america is something everyone should do at least once in their 20s. It's very cool and if you take safety precautions, it's bound to be a very rich experience, that awakes your senses. Also my congratulations for being such a great parent, not many parents nowadays have a great relationship with their kids and many wouldn't let them travel alone to a concert. I have a lot of respect for that, my parents were exactely like you and their trust, combined with a sharp sense of responsability on my side, allowed me to have great learning experiences.

In any case, I hope these pointers have helped, wish your daughter enjoys the country, the concert and that she has a safe trip back home with a lot of good memories!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Nuno provided solid advice.

I live in Mexico City and can give you some pointers. All major airlines including Aeromexico are fine. There are no direct flights from/to the Midwest that I know, she could go through Houston, Atlanta or Dallas for a quicker route.

In terms of hotels my choice would be the Polanco area. JW Marriott, W, Hyatt, Intercontinental (this is where US officials stay) are good choices. There are nice restaurants and casual bars within walking distance, and is close to other tourist attractions (museo de Antropologia, Chapultepec castle.)

The concert venue (Arena Ciudad de Mexico) is pretty far out. Hire a car to take them in and out as it would not be a good idea to just grab a cab there and get back to the hotel.

As for general transportation cabs from the hotel (more expensive) or call on cabs are fine. Uber works well too.

If you need more specific info free to PM me.