Triathletes: Anyone into multisport? | FerrariChat

Triathletes: Anyone into multisport?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by White Knight, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Been an off and on runner for about a year. Do a 55 min 10k. Just got my first bike (Trek Madone 3.1) a month ago to mix things up.

Recently have been investigating upping myself to triathlons. Anyone here into them? Any tips/required reading?

I have a buddy who does them and he's trying to get me to sign up for the New Orleans 70.3 next April. Somewhat worried if that's enough time to prep myself.

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I love running and biking but never got into swimming. My cousin just did a sprint version that he found great to try it out for the first time. I think he is 5km run, 20km bike, and a short swim.

My 10k used to be around 52 min when I was training. Biking is great if you live in a scenic area because you cover MUCH more on a bike vs running. That is why I started biking because we have vast country roads near my home and in 10k I saw nothing (5k each way). On a bike I can cover 30-50k and see much more.

Tip is certainly set the bike up properly. Get proper attire with padding because those seats do hurt. Be safe on the roads, the car will win everytime a bike and car clash.

3. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Todd,
    A HIM in nine months will be a challenge,mainly for the swim...if I read your post correctly.
    There are a lot of moving parts,so it's complicated. And it will take a lot of time.
    Where'd you get your bike? Most LBSs got more tri-guys than helmets. I'd ask some of them.
    Lots and lots of sprint length tri's and oly's too in the region for tests of your progress.
    But here's the thing,never say never..and to be in the race you need to get in the race. Going for it will get you a wow,but for you to finish,well sir you are a stud.
    You might enjoy the slowtwitch site too,so there's that.
    But big cheers for just considering this,
    RE

4. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    The ability to cover more ground than during a run was a big factor in deciding to get a cycle. Still dialing it in from the LBs we purchased from. Put a wider saddle on which feels much better.

I agree that I'd much rather start with an OLY distance for the first one...might try to sign up for one late in the year or early next year, to get my feet wet (literally).

I downloaded several books which were recommended to me (Friel's Tri Training Bible and a couple functional strength training books, specific to triathletes).

Will keep everyone posted...

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Todd,
    Check out the YMCA sprint at wrightsville beach in late sept..it's oly length swim across the channel from blockade runner to sea path tower but they say(!) with the current and tide which makes it easier..a bag of chips could do it was the way it was explained to me..and the ride and run are flat so that's a good thing too. Late sept is a nice time to be there,off season mostly and temps much better. I've signed up since it may be a good chance to break 30 on a 5k..but hope the swim will be wetsuit legal.
    Cheers,
    RE