Trickle Charger, Lighter port safe? | FerrariChat

Trickle Charger, Lighter port safe?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 07jag, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    I went on a 2 month stretch of not starting my 07 F430 this winter and ended up needed a battery charge. I successfully used the charge posts behind the driver seat and started up after an 8 hour trickle charge.

I must have hit the parking lights exiting the car past night and can not start it. Seems close to turning over but just not there. I would rather use the lighter plug in option on my trickle charger but was a little nervous about frying anything or having an electrical problem.

Does/has anyone successfully used the cigarette lighter port for trickle charging or have had any issues?

Thanks in advance.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does your cigar lighter work with the ignition turned off? The power from the trickle charger needs some way of getting to the battery.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I saw a wiring harness in an otherwise perfect original 275 4cam destroyed that way once.

Wire a pig tail to the battery cable junction box behind the drivers seat.

f355spider, taz355, Bigilo and 2 others like this.
  4. 07jag

07jag Rookie

Feb 4, 2018
    south Jersey US
    Full Name:
    Chris Ferrari
    That's the answer I was most scared of seeing. For tonight it seems like taking the panel off behind the driver seat is in order. How detailed and what equipment do you need to "pig tail" for future jumps or for winter trickle charging?

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    With all due respect, if you have to ask such questions, take it to your mechanic and have him do it for you. The last thing you want to happen is blowing up all the electronic modules that's mounted back there.

6. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Trickle chargers usually come with the pig tail. Not for jumping, just trickle charge.

f355spider likes this.
  7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It isn't. From the 360 on, the cig lighter is switched with the ignition.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My '98 F355 lighter also gets power from the ignition (via the the mirror control and mirror/window heat fuse)

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Must have been a mid production change, my 1997 F355 spider cig lighter was always "on".

Qavion likes this.
  10. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If your battery is dead, likely a trickle charger won't charge it. You'll need a full charger - don't use the cigarette lighter for this! Also, always attach a trickle charger directly to the battery. I added an extension cable to bring it out from the battery connection to my front grill (550) so I don't need to open the hood to connect to it.

newark_308 likes this.