Tried the launch control on my F8! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tried the launch control on my F8!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I never sorted it out before I traded it in. Wasn’t a big deal for me. Looking forward to trying it in the F8 when it comes, though

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Can’t wait!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    same here. I have a TTS Coupe coming in April.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    What color? Mine is GT Sliver with Bordeaux interior.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agate Grey with a Bordeaux/black interior. We’re on the same page!

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I really have to disagree on this. The TTS is fast, but the launch has no drama - it just takes off. A Tesla or Taycan does this better.

When you launch a 488, F8 or Pista, it is very different. A kind of slow motion description goes a bit like this.

You let go of the brake, the car shakes a bit, you feel the rear move around a bit - and then the explosion comes. It feels alive and organic, you can feel the car find its footing, and then digging in its claws. A TTS don't give you that. It is fast, but clinical and boring at the same time. It is fun once or twice, but it gets old just as fast. With the Ferrari you don't really know what you get, and even with the launch feature it engages you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Pomppe likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    And the F8 pulls a quicker 1/4 mile at the end of the day, not to mention 1/2 mile, or more...

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    this is silly. The entire point IS the take off. I launched the F8, I launch my 458 often. In Ferrari’s, you do the procedure, there’s an ever so slight delay as you pull off the line and then wham, you go. Porsche’s violently throw you off the line. They’re just better at it. The 0-60 numbers do not lie. It’s plain as day.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    who cares? We’re talking about launch control. New TTS consistently does 0-60 in UNDER 2.5 seconds. F8 will be 2.9-3.1 depending on tire temp etc. maybe a great surface and hot day you get 2.7 seconds. That same day though a TTS is doing the run in 2.2 seconds.

at the end of the 1/4 new TTS is trapping 137 mph, hardly a slouch. F8 is trapping 140-142 on a good run. Turbo is crossing the line first.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's where we disagree. And 1/4 is just the beginning of a proper drag.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    disagree all you want. You live in theory land. I drive and own these cars. In the real world, it is what it is. Above 130 mph certainly the F8 takes it easily.

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #37 REALZEUS, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    You might as well own an F1 team for that matter. The stopwatch will say which is the quicker car, even in F1.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. And in real life the results will be as I stated.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #39 Shadowfax, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Actually you are wrong on all counts here. The tts is fast and launches with equal if not more drama than any F car i've ever launched. And a Tesla and Taycan does NOT do this better as you can see for yourself right here - skip to 3:15 :-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ojCqhqGZ8&ab_channel=carwow
    I also actually found the tts more engaging as a car to drive than an F8 on pretty well every count. It's only until you step into a Pista or Gt2 that you realize just how soft the F8 and 992tts are but i must say the launch in the tts is equally compelling as the harder core versions. And it is only then after experiencing the actual differences that you begin asking yourself the hard question why would you bother wasting time or money on anything less engaging than the so called track focused versions when there is virtually zero compromise to dd comfort and general usability.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #40 Shadowfax, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Yes poor Zeus lives in a fantasy world of magazines, internet and zeperfs type statistical accounts without having any practical real world experience whatsoever - a very sad situation indeed. At least noone1 actually owned a car at one stage and was better read.

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Its fine, if he just stays in his lane. I’ll never disparage someone who can’t afford to own or Drive these cars. I count myself ridiculously lucky. However, don’t argue with someone who has real world experience. I wouldn’t do so. Owners inputs are so valuable. When I was younger on this site I did a lot more asking and reading than I did giving my subjective opinion on driving and performance.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    As a general rule I subscribe to your point of view to live and let live however with Zeus he continues to demonstrate he is incapable of staying in his lane, taking time out to pull those on for size who actually own or have spent time in the cars in question. I suspect the volume of Koolaid he has drunk has caused irreparable damage.

18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nothing launches like the new 992 turbo S.

SAFE4NOW and Jo Sta7 like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari’s don’t launch great. They aren’t the best drag cars. Who cares? The SF90 will cure that but I’d rather have a Pista or F8 vs the SF90.

and yes, Porsche’s are the KINGS of launching. They have nailed that tech.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's not about being wrong. I.just don't think a fast launch by itself is very dramatic. The Ferraris feel more alive to me in a launch and thus it excites me more. No right or wrong, just different preferences.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app