Trip to Enzo Ferrari's home country | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Trip to Enzo Ferrari's home country

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Hmmm indeed. I forgot about that one long time ago (intentional) :)

I guess Enzo didn't feel old yet! ;)

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #78 MvT, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Mille Miglia race has ended and so did our stay in Italy. What a cars, what a people, what a passion. We hit the road to Germany and came across a Mille Miglia attendee here and there that made their ways home too.

Our next thing on our to do list is to drive the San Bernardino pass in Zwitserland. We checked in the morning and it is open! :D We made a stop to suction cup my GoPro and went into the mountains, but the further we went up the more cloudy it became and needed to turn on the windscreen wipers at some point. The inevitable became reality. The San Bernardino pass was closed due to snowfall and we needed to turn around. There was no other option then to take the tunnels through the mountains back downwards to our next stop...

The San Bernardino Pass
    The San Bernardino Pass is a high mountain pass located in the Swiss Alps at 2065 meters above the sea level. Known as a driver's dream road, San Bernardino Pass connects the Swiss towns-Misox and Hinterrhein-offers some spectacular and outstanding Alpine scenes. It has an impressive 6.6 km long tunnel. Castles and churches, gorges, dominate the road and sprawling bridges, which brings you closer to some of Switzerland's most breathtaking scenery.

http://travel.siliconindia.com/news/These-are-Worlds-10-Most-Spectacular-Highways-aid-2926.html

...The Black Forrest (schwarzwald) Germany. Oh my when we entered the village we were thrown back in time! An old Benz infront of the hotel and a dated interior. Our cars fitted right in ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Damn, you keep the stories coming....
    That looks like an ultimate holiday in good company!

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Wow I wanna go on holiday...
    You are getting some really nice pics of your car in some cracking locations.
    However there is something cooler than arriving at lake Garda in a Ferrari convoy....
    and that's turning up in that old Ferrari power boat. ;-)
    Hope you intend to keep that travel grime on your car for a while ha ha.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #82 MvT, Jun 10, 2014
    After a good night of sleep and yesterdays evening eating fest of a total amount 100 euro for 6 persons and beer we absorbed our breakfast to discover the roads of the Black Forrest. They were a pleasure to drive cornering your Ferrari on these roads. We will make a short trip to this area again this year!

I set up the GoPro, but during the drive it lost connectivity with the remote control.. what a bummer!

The last kilometers/miles where ahead to drive together and we made a final stop. The last picture of the tricolore was taken and we hit the road again for the last time. Near Aachen, Germany we parted our ways and headed home to diggest our adventures :)

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    haha well.. to be honest.. she didn't had a shower yet after coming home. The finger stripe is also still in the engine bay and I guess we can still find some candy under the chairs ;)

Some details on my trip:

Distance driven: 3755km/2333miles
    Gasoline fueling: 429Ltr/113gallons
    Fuel consumption: 1Ltr:8.8km/1gallon:20,6miles
    Oil use 3755km/2333miles: 1,5Ltr

After this trip the relay of pods didn't work anymore, 1 front and 1 rear wheel bearings make noise. Center pipes are still holding, but she is on the stands for some repairs. MOT in 4 weeks.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this trip and perhaps inspired some folks to take the Mondial instead of the trustworthy SUV for a road trip :D.

Cheers,
    Tijn

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv6PbT-4ba0[/ame]

7. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Tijn, you're my hero. Fantastic journey in the Mondial!

Thanks for posting.

Jonathan

8. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Still need some more pictures of your trip to convince me to take the Mondial Tijn! ;) :D

9. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Correctamundo! We need more pics and more juicy stories! :D

Insurance for the Mondi came in today, soo I'm off for a quick breeze around the block.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    ;) Well I can't say it is without a risk to take out the Mondi for a trip.. I have picked up a dent because of the bad roads and debris. It was a nice surprice to bump into you at the Ferrari museum! :D I'll convince you when we have a sunday drive and just PM you for a passenger!

Congrats!!! :D

Next story is how I fix my wheel bearings haha those didn't survive the trip, fixed them already just need to post it, but I am afraid my CV joint passenger side has had it :( so I probably need to fix 2 of this axle. All together again 500 euro on parts.

btw it is just insane how much this car eats tires! I had 6mm left on my rear tires (Pirelli P6000) and I just have 2mm left! I will not pass the MOT with these

11. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  12. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Was nice indeed! We almost visited the same spots during our trip.
    I'm always in for a nice Sunday drive. Look forward to your PM!
    Will you be visiting concours "het Loo"? When the weather is fine i will be there with my Mondial.

Regarding the tires, just DON'T go sideways on every turn you make... It helps , for sure ;) :D

13. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Outstanding video - brought back great memories of Europe - Thanks for sharing!

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #91 Valenzo, Jun 25, 2014
    Very cool Tijn. We are in southern italy at the moment, rented a Renault (wanted the Fiat) and while here I'm trying to find various italian car events (just missed a car show here) but no luck so far. But lovin the cars I'm seeing along the routes.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #92 MvT, Jun 29, 2014
    Nice Ted! In the south you have very nice places, but be aware where you park your rented car! A lot of them get stolen. Be happy that you do not got a Fiat as you might miss parts from it or they just took it as a whole! We always pull the starter relays from our rentals in Italy and it has been tried to take it 2 times by now. I always ask for the car that has most dents and scratched :) I guess you will know why by now looking at most cars over there :p.

As a prevention I locked all parts on my Mondi that could be easily taken, although Ferraris are respected I didn't want to take a change that one of my flashing units got stolen and got my grill screws covered with polyester.

that aside, Italy is a wonderful country to wonder around! Have fun and the curve sea mountain roads are the most fun! Nice Giulia!

16. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Thanks so much for you effort to keep up with the entire trip. I especially appreciated the tips about prepping your mondial for being left in parking lots. Any other special tricks you used?

I am making a trip in september with my mondial meeting up with a group of other classic cars for a tour down and back up Italy. The first night is in maranello and a factory visit.

I also appreciated having the record of your mileage and gas consumption. It really helps me plan ahead.

Thanks again for sharing

17. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Bloody hell really? Do you really have to do that when you go to Italy MvT....
    Looks like Emily better remove her Carellos fog lights off the X19 before we go there..

18. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    whoopss...never had any problems in Italy:

The new rental Fiat 500 in Sicily (parked in the Streets)
    My Renault station wagon in city center of Turin (parked in the Streets)

One day when we were on our way to Tuscane, we stopped in Venice. When we parked our 2yr old BMW 525D in parkingbuilding we got the notification to leave the keys on the contact. (we had a top box full Luggage + trunk full Luggage) so you can imagine we weren't keen on doing that. But after a quick look around, we noticed all keys were in place. When we walked out, a Ferrari entered the lot and the driver left the car in the entrance hall with engine running and walked away with a ticket. We were reassured then, it was all ok.
    When we returned, we needed to show the ticket, pay, and only then we could go by elevator to the floor our car was parked. On every floor was a guard for watching over the cars. It was not a cramped place, but a parking lot as we all know them. Still no clue why keys needed to be on the cars. No one was blocking another car.

The same happened to me in Paris City center with my girlfriends car. when the owner told my girlfriend to leave the keys on the car, she said: we are gone! I convinced her by pointing at all the other more valuable cars.... that was a cramped garage. We had to tell how many days the car would stay, so they knew how far they had to park it . The next morning I had to check if the car was still there (gf wasn't reassured....) ;)

No troubles what so ever in France or Italy. In Holland, 2 times I got unrequested visit. I never leave papers in the car, but those 2 times my CD-collection was gone (whick were well hidden in the car - You never see any cd's, glasses, wallets, phones, portable satnavs, papers, jackets or purses in my car)
    Now I use mp3 stuff...

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #96 MvT, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Depends really where you are. However when you pass Rome it will happen more frequently and it seems to be happening more to rental.. You figure out why they express you to take more insurrance ;)

2 years ago a friend of mine drove with his private Fiat Multipla Abarth around Napels and his roof spoiler together with frontbumper got nicked. Last year they took the whole rental car of one of my colleagues. Nevertheless I have the same experience in the 15 years I come there and hear it from the people around me. The rental lady will tell you where you shouldn't park ;) Never fill in where you go or where you stay and also do not say where you go or point towards another direct. (keep in mind they have the spare key)

Bell, I think securing them is aready enough and up north is way less then down south. The polyester on the screws you can remove easily again with a steel tooth pick. (I'm not talking about the liqued based but the pasta stuff)

20. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    MvT

I Always rent my cars from Europcar, I never try to squeez out some bucks by choosing for a local company. 2 weeks ago I went to Malaga, picked up the rental, got back to the desk to write down other damage on the car that wasn't written down. Before you leave; no problem, when you come back after a week: big problem. :D
    I Always take my time to thorougly check the car, even the missing antenna was noted by me.
    I also prefer cars with no 'rental'marks as: DIESEL written on fuel cap, RENT ME stickers on backwindow.

I never take the extra Insurance or the upgrade car "for no less than ...€/day".
    This time, the nice Spanish girl tried to convince me to take the beautiful Fiat 500 convertible. Yeah, like I'm going to drive open in 35°C weather= I want airco and some shade in the car. ;)

By the way, if they want to know where you are, they hide Track&Trace stuff in the car.

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #98 MvT, Jun 30, 2014
    welcome on this forum Journiacois! Do you have any pics of your Mondial? :)

I bought a Shift Gate Lock from SuperFormance as well. Actually I use this one all the time. Very easy usage.
    Accessories & Tools for Ferrari Mondial - Superformance