Trip to Italy | FerrariChat

Trip to Italy

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Gerry328, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    We will be traveling to Italy this August. Who do I contact to see if a factory tour is possible?

2. andric

andric Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    your local dealer.
    best of luck in your travels and be sure to take a lot of pics

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The heck with that, there are many more interesting things to see in Italia than the Ferrari factory.

Spend your time exploring the country and it's people, that will be more rewarding!

4. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Be sure to visit the Pagani factory. I hear they give a great tour.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #5 tifosi12, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    You can do it via a dealer or you can contact FNA directly. They will ask you to fax over a copy of the car's title and to give them several dates that would work for you. They will then pick one date and send you a confirmation letter.

Do this early enough as there is a time in summer when they close down everything and have no tours at all. Could be in August.

There is only one tour per day (AFAIK). Be there on time or be square.

In my case the Ferrari Club of Holland arrived there and tried to squeeze us out (space is limited), but I remember the lady at the entrance telling their president "Sire, these gentlemen are guests of Ferrari North America. They have priority". The Holland dude looked at me and I was grinning back from ear to ear.

Give yourself enough time as there is plenty of other stuff to see in town (as the Emperor rightfully points out). Tons of shops and restaurants, all in the name of the red religion. I have an old edition of Forza where they describe all the points to hit. I can give you a copy.

Also make sure you visit Modena and its holy places: Lambo factory and museum, Maser factory, Enzo memorial, and all those little -ini car shops like Stanguellini etc.

BTW: A friend of mine has a Tuscan villa for rent. If somebody wants to know more, let me know.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Gerry,

August is a difficult time to get into the Ferrari factory. They [along with the rest of the country and much of Europe] shut down for 3 weeks in August. You might have a shot the 1st week. But that is a big maybe......Any other time in August and you will not get a tour. You do have to go through your dealer to get the official invitation.

If you do go to Modena/Maranello and Bologna early enough in August you might be able to see Maserati factory, Ferrari Gallaria, Lamborghini factory and all the neat car shops in Maranello. Maybe you will be able to get into the Pannini Collection [mostly Masers and incredible cheese too]. If you know someone or have a contact the Righini collection is fantastic. Over 300 cars in a castle. But it is not open w/o an invite.

hope all works out for you

7. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Just act like you know somebody. If you go begging, you won't get to first base. Suggest you arrive in a suit, not half pants and running shoes. Always works. I did it at the Vatican when I was in Italy a few years ago. Do you know they have this area there that hasn't been cataloged... sorry can't say anymore.

Norbert

8. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Are you Dan Brown incognito? New book on the horizon? J.K.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I think that is neither necessary nor particularly helpful. What you are describing is the president of the Ferrari club of Holland who was trying to squeeze me (and my guests) out of our spots of the tour.

What you really need is the confirmation letter from FNA and you're in. Suit or not makes no difference.

That weasel from the Holland club later came over to me trying to apologize. I hope my look made it clear to him that he should have intercourse with himself.

10. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

the Factory tour is very cool for anyone interested in Ferrari cars. I would consider it a highlight of my many Italy trips.

11. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Now I need to see that look!

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just tell me that the Games in 2016 are a very bad idea. :)

I seem to loose all humor when that subject is being challenged...

13. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Hey my freind, its not the games, its the Chicago/Illinois politics.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah yes, and they are getting better all the time, aren't they? :)

Once you have your factory tour figured out with FNA, immediately book your hotel. There aren't that many options nearby. My recommendation would be the hotel right across the street from the factory entrance. Nice place and ideal location. Alternatively you could stay in Modena (that's what we did). Modena has a couple places, one super elegant, one the traditional where all the drivers stayed in the good ol' days.

15. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    I was told by FNA to contact the dealer to help and set up the tour. I called Continental this morning and hoping to they return my phone call.

Our plan is to determine if the factory trip is possible as soon as possible, as this will have a big influence how we plan our entire trip. If a factory tour is not possible, I suspect we will remain Rome and south.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #16 tifosi12, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Hmm, not sure that's the best plan of action. As Skip mentioned, a factory tour is not the be-all of visiting Maranello. It is certainly a highlight, but if it doesn't happen, don't just ignore that whole region as there is so much to see and do.

If you're "only" interested in Ferrari stuff, Maranello is a living museum: There is the church where the good father rings the bells when the Scuderia wins, there is the market place with Enzo's amazing monument. There is the hotel/restaurant where the team eats, in fact there are plenty of watering holes and digs to eat in Ferrari style with tons of mementos all around. Every boutique in town sells memorabilia and of course there is Ferrari's own shop, where you better bring a platinum credit card. Finally there is the Galleria museum, which is totally amazing: 3 stories of Ferrari history. A must see with tons of cars etc.

And that's only Maranello. Or to put it into perspective: The factory tour lasts one hour, but to see all I described above, you need easily a day.

And then there is Firenze, Milano, Pisa, Venice, Imola and San Marino (with the world's best 250 collection).

I got tons of pics if you like to get a better image. :)

17. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Would love to see you photos and talk about the trip. Clearly there are lots of reasons to go north besides Ferrari, a factory tour was just a tipping point.

We are thinking about 4 days in Rome, 4 days at the Amalfi coast (Naples, Ischia, & Pompeii), and 3 days either North to Florence (and Factory) or further South to Sicily (family originally from Sicily).

18. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Talked to Continental today and was told the Factory is closed the entire month of August. Also talked to some friends who also suggested we head north regardless. So that is our working plan is 3 days Rome, 4 days Naples/Pompeii, and 4 days North. Now need to fill in all of the detials.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm glad you exclude Sicily. It is beautiful and deserves its own trip. I love it so much, I'll go there for a 2nd extended visit some day.

One thing you have to consider with your timing is that Europeans don't know Air Conditioning. You will find it in your rental car, but not in restaurants and not really in hotels. With August you picked the hottest month of the calendar. Do you really want to do that?

If you have no choice, make sure you stay only in at least 4 star hotels (which translate to 3 to 3.5 in US stars) and ideally of US origin (Hilton, Hyatt etc). But even then a cool room is no guarantee. Europeans simply don't understand A/C. They really don't.

Also you realize that July and August are the months where every European family and their children will be either in Italy or in Spain.

So you have been warned. By somebody who is stupid enough to go to Spain in August....:)

20. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2006
    Home
    Full Name:
    Gerry
    Advice taken, but cannot argue with 4 round trip tickets on American for $150!

21. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    #21 maranello71, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Andreas

don't be so extreme... in reality most decent hotels in Italy today DO have air conditioning. "Agriturismo" (beautiful farms in the Tuscan hills that rent rooms to guests) do not have A/C but they are generally positioned on hills where there is a beautiful breeze at night. With our Ferrarichat group in Europe we have travelled through Tuscany, Liguria and Trentino over the last few years in the summer, and nobody has ever complained...

Gerry, if you want advice where to go north of Rome please PM me. I know Tuscany like the back of my hand and it's the most beautiful place on Earth. The photo you find here attached is only a teaser of what is waiting for you out there...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #22 tifosi12, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    Being from Europe I know their green attitude. Even if a hotel technically has A/C it is as potent as the one in my Ferrari on a hot summer day.

I have travelled to Germany/Belgium/Holland in the last few years in the summer and it was excruciatingly hot in the hotels, which were all fine places. Everybody told us that global warming brought an unusual hot summer. Well that might be so, but why didn't the A/Cs neutralize the heat? We had a Marriott in Cologne right on the river and the A/C barely made a difference.

That's when I decided not to visit Europe in the summer anymore. Or when I have to, then bring along my own portable fan, which helped us through some unbearable nights in Budapest the other year.

I'm sure your hotels are wonderful and there is a breeze going, but I have yet to find a Euro hotel that has an A/C of US standards. Same is true for the restaurants, which often don't even have A/C.

Gerry, can't argue with those tickets, would do the same.

23. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Not to steal a thread but just a quick question. I'm going to Italy in November (honeymoon), one week in Rome and then to Maranello for a couple days, what's the easiest way to reserve a room at the Planet hotel? Ok, back to original poster!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Expedia.com