Trouble bleeding clutch | FerrariChat

Trouble bleeding clutch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davidgovett, Jun 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    OK, what am I doing wrong. I have expert help and together we can not figure out how to get the clutch bled properly. Just replaced bad clutch slave hose. As we bleed, the pedal has no push back, it just hits the floor and has to be pulled back. We have pumped it a good 30 or more times with no luck. No leaks and fluid is coming out the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. Is there some special technique to getting it bled properly?

The only thing that just came to mind is that the power was disconnected while working on it. Does the battery need to be connected for the clutch master cylinder to work?

Can there really be that much air in the system?

Almost there. Just got to get the clutch working and we are off.

Dave

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    So are you saying you got it fixed now? I did exactly as you are doing. Make sure fluid level in ok then bleed. I would push down then close bleed screw and pull up pedal and repeat. Mine was working perfectly in no time.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The master cilinder piston is stuck inside...after several warnings on this site !
    Never push the pedal to the bottom when bleeding. You have to let some space between pedal and floor.
    Try to push the pedal several times (but NOT complet) down...and hope your piston is coming back in place. If not you can put pressure on the oil line (slave cilinder side) with air or oil pressure tool.
    Good luck,

Guido

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes, the problem is that in normal use, the pedal may not go all the way to the end of the travel (although with the clutch pedal in my mondial I think it did) and as a result, there is sometimes some corrosion on the part of the master cylinder where the piston doesn't travel. If you push the pedal beyond that point when bleeding, the roughness of the corrosion will cause the piston to stick, or even shred the seal.

The best way to bleed one of these suckers is with a motive pressure bleeder.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/european-bleeder--0100-p34.aspx

My only piece of advice with that bleeder is to replace the cheap ass hose that comes with it shortly after buying it with something that is brake fluid safe. The cheap plastic hose that comes with it will last about a year and then will burst under pressure and spray brake fluid all over your car. Ask me how I know.

Birdman

5. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks all. In the end, it just needed the air sucked out of it by a proper vacuum bleeder. Hooked it up to the shop air supply and sucked a lot of bubbly fluid until it was clear, then topped off fluid and the pedal got some pressure on it. I put a block under the pedal and created a pedal push/pull device to operate the pedal while the car was on a lift. (Can't reach it otherwise) Perfect clutch and smooth shifting! (I had a backup plan for a Ferrari tech house call worst case)

Anyway, after replacing all of the fluids (coolant flush, brake flush, new gear oil and plugs/washers, new oil and plugs/washers, oil and air filters) the Mondial runs BETTER THAN EVER BEFORE. Even the cold 2nd gear works smoothly. Last owner used cheap lubricants and there is no comparison. (I used Agip fluids and UFI filters) It's amazing the difference.

I'm working my way through an ASE/NATEF Community College automotive program (beautiful clean 16 bay fully equipped facility) and fixing up the Mondial as I work through each class, repairing and replacing things relevant to the class. It becomes a class project with me doing most of the work, watched over by the Master Tech instructor and assisted by fellow students. Doing a summer manual transmission/trans axle class so good opportunity to fix the slave hose leak. Fall will be electrical systems class. Plenty of electrical demons to work on during that I'm sure. It's convenient as I work at the campus and get free vouchers for the classes. Doing the program to be able to work on the Mondial. Not a career move.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start another thread detailing my adventure later.

Cheers
    Dave

6. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    #6 Vivaldi, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
    Dave, hope you completed the bleeding. I struggled mightily after replacing my clutch slave. Even using a high quality pressure bleeder did not get me a good pedal. I ended up using a hypodermic needle into the clutch master injecting fluid until I stopped getting bubbles back up the port. To do so, remove the hose from the reservoir, use a flexible needle small enough to fit through the hole in the top port, penetrate as far as the needle will go and start injecting brake fluid until you get no bubbles. PITA but it fixed the problem. Good luck!

7. davidgovett

davidgovett Karting

Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind in future bleeds. In the end, the suction bleeding fixed the problem quickly. I do plan to have a brake fluid feeder next time to just keep it topped off the whole time.

Cheers
    Dave

8. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Ok been sifting through the threads, my 85 qv has low clutch biting point I want to bleed the slave to start as the car has been sitting a while, what is the the best way, through engine bay? Underneath or pull the wheel off. Some people talk of an access panel behind seat but not sure how rear seat comes forward (no hand book yet).

9. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Behind the wheel well cover of the left rear wheel you'll find the cylinder. On the left side of the bell housing.