Troublesome F430 exhaust manifold | FerrariChat

Troublesome F430 exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Circle K, Dec 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I hear a lot about defective exhaust manifold. Mine has not defected yet(knock on wood). Can it be caused due to extreme driving, like shifting above 6rpm all the time even though it’s suppose to handle it if properly made? I rarely go above 6 rpm. Has anyone’s manifolds gone bad who’s not an extreme driver?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    These cars are meant to be wound out to redline regularly. I suggest changing your driving habits to include an "Italian tuneup" on every drive.

As for the manifold, it seems to be a design defect where the manifold is attached in such a way as to cause heat stress. The solution is to either replace the manifold or change the mount. I would think idling along in traffic at low speeds would be a lot more harmful than winding the piss out of the car on a daily basis.

3. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Mount? It only connects to the cat

4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Mines got the Capristo brackets. That’s what I think he is referring to.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Zia likes this.
  5. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Saw those, instructions say take-out upper/lower brackets, is it strong enough to handle the weight?

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    When I bought my car in February, it had them installed. I’ve read good and bad things about them.

On mine, I can see where the exhaust system has expanded and contracted, evidenced by the marks on the brackets where the springs have moved.

I’ve got 14,000 miles on my 2009 and no problems so far. I don’t drive it too hard, typically between 4000 and 6000 rpm is where I shift.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I looked into the Caprista exhaust mount, for $900+, I’m going to fabricate my own. I’m thinking using the hanger method. It works on 95% of cars on the road, it has to work. If and when I change the manifold in the future this still needs to be done to reduce the stiffness or the new manifolds will also break. What are your thoughts?

8. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    They work with brackets removed on many cars. Your idea would give more support than that .

9. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I've read somewhere that cracks are caused by the manifold being unable to properly expand and contract where it joins the head. Allegedly, the solution is not to overtighten header nuts; tight enough to prevent exhaust leaks, but no tighter. I have no idea how one a accomplishes this. Is this all BS?

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I doubt that’s the cause. If overnighted, the flange would break/crack first

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I personally feel the Capristo muffler mount is really poor design. I have welded many exhaust brackets that have cracked or even broken completely. The Capristo set up bolts the muffler to the frame and the engine / transaxle and mounted in rubber. The vibration transferred into the frame is a bit harsh in my opinion.
    As far as the headers failing, I haven't had any 430 headers with issues. I have has a 360 that had bad headers but this is the pre-cat in the header breaking up and letting material get in the engine through the exhaust port.
    As the OP asked, I don't know that it is all due to high RPM but I believe it is accelerated by more RPM. Challenge cars tend to show issues faster as they live in the upper RPM range. On 360/430s, the engine mounts don't last as long as I think they should. I replace any that I feel have vibration that can be felt in the car. That harshness may be a cause of exhaust failure as well. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Circle K likes this.
  12. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I'm not an expert, but I've owned two F430's (06', currently an 08') both with Mark II headers. The 06' had the Mark I headers replaced by dealer and the 08' has the Mark II stock. No issues, and well driven.

My buddy's F430 now has Fabspeed. Prior, he told me he could audibliy hear the failure, as our local F dealer pointed out. Its louder prior to them heating up, expanding and sealing. Its a non-typical ticking sound.

I agree that the engine mounts seem to not last as long as they should and could contribute. I perceived less engine vibration when I rode in another F430 with new engine mounts, but its not a dramatically huge difference from what I remember. Does anyone know how long the F430 engine mounts typically last?
    Is there a recommended mileage to change them?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    I don’t think mileage but more from driving conditions. In time it will wear down, nature of rubber but at each oil change I inspect mine

14. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC

Attached Files:

lkstaack likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's pretty cool..but the manifolds don't crack..they melt through. Usually between cylinder 2,3 or 6,7 under the heat shields. The issue with the OEM hangers is the fact they crack and break causing a terrible rattling noise at the rear of the car.

Your hanger set up is nice, but it will not prevent a failure of the early manifold design.

16. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    time will tell

17. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name: