Tubi exhaust | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tubi exhaust

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zjpj, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Hi Zak

I can confirm that as the time I spent behind your car on the rideout, the 550 sounds like a thunder at low to med rpm and raw rasping growl at higher rpm...

Zak didnt realise you were in kent???

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I was mistaken and get it now – it makes much more sense, i.e. the oxygen sensor stays in place and the system operates still in closed loop mode – the part simulates the rear sensors that monitor the aging of cat and front sensor, i.e. prevent the check engine light.

The question remains as observed before what does it do to engine power and the air/fuel mixture. Would be interesting to see a dyno run for this configuration.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I removed the tubi from my 456. Too much resonance at low RPM and generally too loud from outside the car.

I think it sounds fine stock, but I know I'm in the minority on that!

4. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    After I installed my Tubi and test pipes (512TR) I had to say, now she sounds like a Ferrari!Not to loud untill you twist her up,then she sings.

5. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    seems like a lot of us are removing the cats and discovering a beautiful sound. Does anyone know of a oxygen simulator for the porsche 996TT (2001)? And what is everybody doing to not get the check engine light on the newer models such as the 575? thanks

6. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi Joe,
    yep I'm in kent...Tunbridge Wells. You are near rochester right? If you are ever inTW let me know. I went to the Kent FOC summer day at Groombridge. There were some cracking cars there.

zak

7. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a TUBI on my 355 and absolutely love it. It's much better than any sound system you could ever buy.

8. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Have stock exhaust and real cats on my 3.2 Mondial Cab. What changes would I see with cat pipes or Tubi?

I really can't imagine either improving the sound. It's truly amazing stock.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    >>(360mode) i think most people remove it b/c they think it's too loud or the resonance at certain rpm's bothers them. i haven't heard many people complain about the actual sound.<<

This is exactly why I went with the Fuchs for the 550. The Tubi is just obnoxious. The Fuchs idles like the Tubi then really evens out nicely at speed (while adding a verifiable 15bhp)....whereas the Tubi only adds db's!

DL

10. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Zak

No probs , my Company working in TW at Mo.... been over there recently ..

No probs we can meet sumtime ...looking forward to the light mornings and long summer nights already....

11. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Zak,

I live out towards Mayfield about 10 miles south of TW...

I'm suprised I haven't heard your car from here!

I have a 550 also. Do you take the train into the City at all?

I've been mulling over change my exhaust for sometime... I'd love to hear your setup.

LWR.

12. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Joe,

Does your company do domestic installs? Maybe this is something I should ask you via PM, but can you recommend something for my garage at home?

Thanks,

LWR

13. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi LWR,

Another 550 in this area....thats awesome!! I havent come across another in 6 months. I was driving through Mayfield other week. I got up early on a Sunday and blasted down there from frant road all the way into Mayfield and out the other side at the roundabout. Theres an incredible long bend as you head back to TW from the Roundabout at Mayfield which is just fantastic at speed and no traffic. If you want me to drive over to show you a tubi 550 i am more than happy too.

Zak.

14. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi again LWR,

yes I commute up to the city from TW. I work at Goldman scahs on fleet street so usually get off at cannon street or Ch x. How about you?

Zak.

15. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I will certainly keep my 355 GTS exhaust stock, maybe a Tubi is necessary for those who don't have the chance to drive with the top off. 355 stock sounds almost boring with the top on but is stunning top off. I'd probably put a tubi on a GTB.

I am shopping for a 550 and have come across cars with and without. The tubi sounds really mean at low revs, to the point where it's almost impossible to hold a discussion in the car at idle rpms. Deafeningly loud. Too much in my opinion, and probably a lack of respect for your neighbourhood depending at which hours of the day you drive by.
    A switch on the dash between stock mode and tubi mode would be a cool gimmick :)

16. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Do you still have the Tubi? Would you like to sell it if you do?