TUBI TEST PIPES | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TUBI TEST PIPES

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Buttuz4eva, Apr 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Sianara marshman; I leave you with the promise of using straight pipes forever and ever, amen! And by the waymake sure you cut your lawn with scissors!

2. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Clint-
    I have noticed from your profile that you do not have a licence plate on the front of your F-car which is in direct violation of Texas law. And I'll bet that at times you also drive faster than the posted speed limit. These are examples of your total disrespect for the LAW! Or should I say your selective respect for the law. Look you are entitled to your opinion and IMHO encourgaged to express it here, but what you are doing here and have done for some time is harrass and badger grown men (and possibly some women) that make up their own mind which laws they will follow and which one they will disregard. I know you are concerned for the environment, but be intelligent about it and consider the full landscape. It has become an ego battle for you and there are much better ways for you to spend your cybertime maybe actually helping people since you are a "consultant".
    BTW, I ocassionally through in some mispelled words just to spise things up and see who I'm deeling with. Cheers, Jim

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I did a test on an F40 with Tubi mufflers. When we removed the Cats, We saw a 10rwhp incease, a decrease in low end throttle response and a slight increase in idle speed.
    The exhaust note was also louder. Maybe too loud. Test over, Cats back on.

Rick

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jim, that photo was taken when the car was brand-new, and had temporary tags. In Texas, temporary tags ONLY go in the back.

Do I speed? How would you ever know? Making assumptions about me is fruitless. Yes, I speed...on a race track.

Ai agree--people will make up their own minds about removing emissions equipment. That is why I am offering anothe rpoint of view. However, it seems that some folks are ill-equipped to handle a viewpoint which disagrees with their own.

No ego battle, Jim. Again, please do not make assumptions about me without knowing me.

As for better uses of my time, I don't think you are in a position ot determine that. If you don't like what I say, feel feee to attack the messenger with Rob Lay. As a "consultant", I am tasked with offering advice here, FWIW. My advice is not to risk a felony conviction & further degrading the environment in order to get 2 HP. Seems ot me that this is a very wise use of my time. And, it seems to me that this WILL help people (a) stay out of jail, and (b) not breathe unnecessarily-polluted air that their wives, kids, etc. also will be forced to breathe. Think globally, act locally, Jim.

5. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dave,

Who are the people you know that are serving time? Are they in Texas, that's incredible.

I chose to take the test pipes off my 348 and replace with high performance Cats, but I'm not sure there's an argument that removing Cats on a "recreational" car would be reprehensible behavior.

Morally, should I ADD Cats to a ‘60’s muscle car that is only driven occasionally? Hell, we could probably add more Catalysts to our 550’s and marginally reduce the emissions. Or just not drive them at all…..

The Track vs. Street distinction isn’t really valid. If you’re going to make it acceptable to drive a car "recreationally", the pollutants enter the atmosphere in the same way, whether your on a race track or a Highway. The thing to remember is that our "recreational" mileage and corresponding pollutants constitute the tiniest fraction of the global total.

Mark McKenzie

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Clint-
    Just because you filled in bogus information for your profile doesn't mean that thoses of us who have read your comments don't know you pretty well. Every time you post something, you are giving us information about yourself. So I have developed your psychological profile:
    1. You are definitely ego driven. Every time anyone has anything to say to you, you fire back a volley.
    2. You are extremely rigid bordering on anal. The fact that you wouldn't admit that you have broken a law albeit an unimportant or unjust law shows your inflexibility.
    3. Your are judgemental. Instead of providing information in a concerned fashion, you are judging people that you don't even how as well as we know you.
    I could go on, but you get the point. Although I do believe that you were honest when you listed your profession.
    Anybody else want to help Clint face his identity? I am going to do something significant now: Play golf!!! Cheers, Jim

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jim, 3 strikes, and you're out. Sorry, mate, but you are wrong on all 3 counts, and thus a bit clueless. I could go on, but you get the point.

Remember: do not confuse internet postings on an anonymous message board with reality.

The folks here who DO know me will laugh at your mischaracterizations. And I could really not care how you label me. Have fun golfing!

Mark, they are in Pennsylvania, not Texas. Cars before 1974 (IIRC) did not require catalysts, so, obviously, they are not required. The 550 is one of the lowest-polluting gasoline powered cars ever tested, so more cats would do nothing. As for your point of view on recreational behavior, we have different points of view...and where do you draw the line? For some, 1,000 miles a year is recreational, for others, it's 10,000 miles a year. Big difference. As for track use, well, I don't make the laws, I just mention them.

My point is that there is no valid reason to totally remove the cats. NONE. Mark, you still have cats, and guess what? Your car sounds incredible!!! And is fast as hell!! See my point? We can all get the HP & sound we want, w/o adding more CO & NOx to the atmosphere. That was my ONLY point. Yes, I feel very strongly on this, and yes, in offering a POV & my advice on this issue to those on FC, hopefully those contemplating this move will be able to make a better, more informed choice.

End of story.

8. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fair enough. I agree, that there's really no reason to take them off. I even reinstalled them on my 348, mainly because I hated the smell without them. There was no perceptible difference in HP, but the sound is a little less "sharp", although it still sounds fantastic.

I do disagree with the statement that people deserve to be in prison for removing catalytic converters; unless of course they were doing so without the Owner’s consent, or using them to make explosive devices, or narcotics…..

See you tomorrow.

Mark

9. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Oh little marshmallow; I know I said I would not respond to any more of your rhetorical BS, but I have been accosted to post again, so back by popular demand here we go. I do believe that the only FELONY charge someone here might face would be the battery charge after knocking you in the throat with a 2x4. PIPE ON - CAT OFF. You are just an annoying and very spoiled pain in the ass! Next your going to say that homosexuals should be legally married.
    Go buy a Yugo!

10. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#35 maranelloman, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Honestly, Frankie, your mention of, and apparent desire for, violence against me tells us all we really need to know about you and your fragile little house-of-cards ego. I would counsel against making threats of violence on the internet, lightweight. What you do with your car is your choice...but it is a Federal felony, my little, little arrogant fellow. Now, who is the spoiled brat, again? Nice tantrum.

By the way, cupcake, it's "you're", not "your". We learned this in the 3rd grade, genius. What's your excuse?

Not sure what your obsession with homosexuality is, but what you do with other men in the privacy of your personal life is none of my business.

Have a nice day, twinkie.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Maramarshmallowboy: Gotcha! Again and again and again.
    Say Goodnight Dick

12. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    ...and is it also true that most SUVs are substantially exempt from the emissions laws as they are designated trucks?

13. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    great thanks for the posts I have just ordered the tubi testpipes now that this thread has just turned into a green peace meeting. I have herd enough

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Buttuz, no greenpeace here, man. I am sorry you have "herd" [sic] enough.

Frankie, your obsession with male genitalia, and saying "goodnight" to them, is disturbing. Not sure what you "gotcha'd" again & again & again, but as i said before, your "playing for the other team" is none of my business...not that there is anything wrong with that.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    '77 308GTB with Non Catalyst label in the door frame. '78s had cats as first year so equipped, I believe. These cars are exempt in Texas at 25 years of age, from smog check.

We still comply with nameplate standards, if we work real hard to get to the numbers!

Cat equipped cars should stay that way, IMO. Test pipes are off road use only, I believe. You know, like slicks!

16. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Hey Maranello -

Just took offf my cats and replaced with test pipes just for you.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Think globally, act locally. Greenpeace member since 1984.

18. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#43 maranelloman, Apr 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alan is 100% correct. Especially in light of the report just yesterday showing that over 150,000,000 Americans breathe unhealthy air every day. And some folks think it is their God-given right to add to that? LOL!!!

Hey, DN35, thanks for the favor...but how do you feel about making "friends" with a large man named Bubba in prison?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My son is asthmatic, as well. Give the little guy a break! He says "Thanks".

Why do you think I bought the '77?? For the DOT sticker, man!

My attorney asked me to just break one law...at a time!

20. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony

Are you really a PIMP?

21. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    maranellowhatevs, did you kno that clint eastwood is gay for real

22. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark

To me, there is a fundamental flaw in this position.

On one hand you're claiming it would somehow be morally wrong to remove the Cats from a car made one year later, but you have purposefully purchased a more polluting, although more desirable, car, just for the DOT sticker. Shouldn’t you have intentionally purchased a ’78 to pollute less?

Another example is the notion that somehow track cars should be allowed to pollute more, as if while driving just for pleasure on a track, the pollutants are somehow different than those produced during a recreational drive on the street.

The argument falls apart when you try to enforce a supposedly unbending moral obligation with a Federal Law that is by nature flawed with loopholes and issues due to the timing of its implementation.

I reinstalled the cats on my car, and I like the car better with them. But if I liked it more without them, I do not think I would deserve to go to prison for driving from the race track to the gas station.

Mark McKenzie

23. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Ouh, hard stuff. Someone deserves jail for a minor offense? Ridiculous. I basically agree that we should value environmental concerns over a marginal increase in performance, but your fundamentalistic approach makes it difficult to concur.

24. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I don't have children so I don't give a damn what shape I leave the world in

25. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Cost of Set of test pipes-$300
    Cost of Attorney needed for felony charge "NO CATS"-$1,500
    Cost of Making sure "maramarshmallow pimp" breathes test pipe exhaust- PRICELESS!