Tuboscocca Chassis | FerrariChat

Tuboscocca Chassis

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by DWR46, Mar 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Can anybody post a good photo of a bare Tuboscocca chassis? I would appreciate the help. Trying to sort out the 225 Sport series of cars.

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I might have a few from the yellow spider here in Brazil, I have to check my chat history. From what I was told it was wrongly restored while getting Classiche certified but who knows it may be of help.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Here's what I have, sorry it's not in better resolution. Also, these pics were sent to me a while ago by someone who knew about the discovery and restoration process of the car in Italy, contracted out by Classiche, and apparently not very "correct". All of this comes from word of mouth, I'm not even remotely knowledgeable enough to say if true or not. Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest to also consult the various Gilco books, the Touring books and I seem to remember that one of the very early Ferrari yearbooks has either an advert or some pix of a Tuboscocca frame.

Marcel Massini

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Mario:

I think that is a Tuboscocca chassis. What is the chassis number of the car in the photos?

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Marcel: Thank you for the suggestions. I had no luck with my Touring book, and I do not have any books about Gilco, but the 1952 yearbook does have a photo of a 340 Mexico chassis that should be a Tuboscocca design.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #8 miurasv, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    0180ET.

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Below are three photos I have now found of Tuboscocca chassis. It is actually the front half of the chassis that is unique, as it is three dimensional. Another easily identifiable feature is the large RECTANGULAR tubes at either end of the firewall. This and the diagonal supports along side the engine compartment should make these chassis easy to identify.

As to Mario's photos of 0180 ET (thank you Steve for the I.D.) it appears to be a Tuboscocca chassis with all the upper framing cut off. You can still see the bottoms of the rectangular tubes at each end of the firewall.

The Gilco advertisement is from the 1952 Ferrari Yearbook (thank you Marcel) and the other two photos are from the internet with an unidentified source. Though I suspect they may be from a book about Gilco Autotelai.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

turbo-joe, miurasv, lgs and 1 other person like this.
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10 miurasv, Mar 18, 2021
    Apparently 8(?) of the 225S cars had the Tuboscocca chassis and have the ET suffix.

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: It is not that simple, the ET suffix does NOT define the Tuboscocca chassis. Only actual photos of the individual chassis' themselves or the Build Sheets will tell the truth.

miurasv likes this.
  11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Not to muddy the waters or go off-topic, but I thought ET stood for Export Tubolare.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Could be. I've also read ET stands for Extra Tubolare.

readplays likes this.
  13. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I agree, ET probably stands for Export Tubolare. However, there are cars with an ED suffix that have Tuboscocca chassis (more than one). I think Ferrari, at that time, was so busy in so many areas and the cars were developing so fast that they could not keep up with assigning numbers to chassis, only to find the chassis that actually was delivered did not match the number suffix. To them, it really did not matter at the time.

readplays likes this.
  14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Which Tuboscocca chassis 225S cars have the ED suffix, Dyke?

246tasman and readplays like this.
  15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #16 miurasv, Mar 18, 2021
    I actually misread it. What I read actually did state ET stands for Export Tubolare.

readplays likes this.
  16. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: Don't know for sure, still working on them. Don't have all the Build Sheets nor good chassis photos for some of them.

miurasv and readplays like this.
  17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Dyke, please forgive me for brief hijack of your thread and might’ve asked this before, but does anyone know if there’s a dedicated book or publications that would feature compilation of various different Ferrari chassis design/engineering drawings and/or photos from different years/decades in somewhat chronological order ?

I find this type of information much more interesting/intriguing than exterior or interior coach work & trim details and would love to see, study and learn more about their construction.

18. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: Marcel showed me the book about Gilco (Gilberto Colombo) which appears to have a number of photos and blueprints of Ferrari chassis up to the late 1950s. After that time, Vaccari became the chassis supplier. I am not aware of a book related to Vaccari. So far, I have not found a copy of the Gilco book for purchase.

TTR likes this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Dyke.

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Here.
    Three books, including 2nd and 3rd edition (always updated). 1993, 2006 and 2017.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.